Non Refundable £500 Deposit with Audi

Leebroath

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We live in Scotland and have seen a nice Q7 in England, but the Sales guys has replied back saying they need a 'Non Refundable' £500 deposit

Quote 'We don’t have any refundable deposits taken unfortunately any deposit we take is to buy the car & therefore non-refundable' and 'We have two options either wait until I can get the video & risk having a colleague of mine sell the car or place a deposit to purchase the vehicle of £500. The only way this £500 would be returned is if the car is mis described'

Now having spoken to my pal who works for Audi, he said this "is Illegal" and Audi can't keep a £500 deposit, "they can't keep a deposit if a customer changes their mind".

Why the hell are Audi doing this and breaking the law? I think this has something to do with distance selling rights

Hmm,seems a bit rigid. I’d expect there to be a little more leeway,maybe it’s the distance involved from them to you which is why they are saying that,it would be quite an expense for them to get the car to you,only for you to decide you don’t want it? That said,if the car is as described,and you are a serious buyer,then I can’t see why you wouldn’t purchase it? I had similar “restrictions” quoted to me when purchasing a Black Edition Q3 from Audi for swmbo.She wasn’t comfortable with those kind of conditions,& we sourced the car outside the Audi franchise.

Yes it's a fair but of distance, but I'm not expecting them to keep the car reserved for a week or so, it would only be for a day.

I did call up Audi Office and ask what the terms are, he advised due to Audi being a franchise, they can pretty much make up their rules.

The rules may have changed since, but 10 years ago I used to work as a salesmen for Ford (have since seen the error of my ways and re-trained as a Sparky!:tearsofjoy:) and they used to stamp “non refundable” on all deposit invoices even though it was false and totally un-enforceable. Like i said, I’d be surprised if things have changed that much since my brief time in the trade..........

I bought my car from Audi last week, a Jardines place. £100 deposit, which was refunded on sale, and would have been refunded had I not purchased.

That behaviour from that franchise would be enough to put me off doing business with them completely.

They remind me of Motorhub in Kneightly who will only let you test drive a car after you purchase it LOL

Reactions: Leebroath, NevMan and Raiden
When I got my Golf R 3 years ago VW said the £500 was a holding deposit for the car. If I was not happy with it I got my money back. Like someone said if they are saying it’s non refundable it would put me right off as I’m sure it is illegal to do that. Otherwise pay by credit card and if things get awkward you’re money is protected by the consumer credit act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to scrap it, with the advise on here

It’s put us right off!

Decided to scrap it, with the advise on here

It’s put us right off!
Wisest option in my opinion. If your not happy or have reservations, walk away!! There’ll be plenty of other cars out there, with dealers that deserve customers trust.