Not acknowledging there's a problem

mike60e

Reaction score
A3 Edition 1
The car that started being a great car now starring to be a nightmare. Over last few months warning lights come on randomly. MyAudi app not syncing when my wife's already set it up when using the car. On the app shows car with windows open, unlocked and with boot open. MMI screen flickers at random times. Cruise control doesn't alway work.
We been intouch with our dealership in Shrewsbury where the cars been after I don't know how many times to be looked at and now we have no faith in.

Audi Digital are totally useless and now Audi UK don't seem to acknowledging there's a problem and this is a one off. Even though we have loads of photos off the App and MMI not working but none of the flicker issues because it only happens occasionally and when she's driving.

Because Audi are making out they haven't heard of these problems, I'm trying to get some stats to show them.

Thanks Mike
8dad606596806c1e9837374ce8648479.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just start the rejection process. That normally will get someone’s attention.
Make sure you have clear evidence/documentation of the issues, number of trips to dealerships and what they supposedly fixed etc.

Reactions: mike60e
There is a known problem and Audi uk know about it , trust me
Today I accepted a generous goodwill gesture and a guarantee that the fault will have a permanent fix before the 1st November.
My other option was to send the car back, but a new factory order meant a delivery date of December or a cancelled order at a different dealership, ( that dealer also told me that 2021 cars being delivered are still suffering).

Reactions: NIKLDN and mike60e
Just start the rejection process. That normally will get someone’s attention.
Make sure you have clear evidence/documentation of the issues, number of trips to dealerships and what they supposedly fixed etc.
I think that will be the next step, it's a shame especially after having a good relationship with the dealer for last 16 years but the way they are dealing with the car it probably will be the last Audi.

There is a known problem and Audi uk know about it , trust me
Today I accepted a generous goodwill gesture and a guarantee that the fault will have a permanent fix before the 1st November.
My other option was to send the car back, but a new factory order meant a delivery date of December or a cancelled order at a different dealership, ( that dealer also told me that 2021 cars being delivered are still suffering).
It would be better as a brand if they could come out and say there is a problem and they are looking at a fix. Then owners might have more faith but to say they haven't heard of any problems. It's just a load of cr*p.

I think that will be the next step, it's a shame especially after having a good relationship with the dealer for last 16 years but the way they are dealing with the car it probably will be the last Audi.

Been through this a couple of times, Audi and Land Rover, engine problems, electronics gremlins and other mechanical issues. It’s a pain but these cars aren’t cheap and if you aren’t happy send it back, plenty of other cars and brands out there you can spend your money on.
Always see it as it’s not worth increasing your blood pressure over. Life too short to be peed off about a car.

Reactions: Nige Smith and mike60e
Photos are good but videos with audio where applicable really help show the issue as circumstances around it (though they could claim the screen flicker is just a video frame rate issue).

There’s definitely a problem, my car throws all sorts of warnings up on an almost daily basis and has been to Hull Audi 4 times now and recovered by Audi Breakdown once.

Lex won’t let me reject the car either; my complaint has ended up going to the Financial Ombudsman to try and get some help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s definitely a problem, my car throws all sorts of warnings up on an almost daily basis and has been to Hull Audi 4 times now and recovered by Audi Breakdown once.

Lex won’t let me reject the car either; my complaint has ended up going to the Financial Ombudsman to try and get some help

There’s the financial ombudsman and the motor ombudsman to try. I was lucky in both cases and didn’t have to go so far as the engine was spewing fuel everywhere or just didn’t work right.
To reject the car through the ombudsman there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the car to stop you using it. Getting it recovered should give you a strong case.

It would be better as a brand if they could come out and say there is a problem and they are looking at a fix. Then owners might have more faith but to say they haven't heard of any problems. It's just a load of cr*p.

Audi refusing to recognise there is an issue and just telling me that they couldn't find any of the errors which I sent them photographic evidence of, was one of the main reasons I ended up moving away from them.

Been through this a couple of times, Audi and Land Rover, engine problems, electronics gremlins and other mechanical issues. It’s a pain but these cars aren’t cheap and if you aren’t happy send it back, plenty of other cars and brands out there you can spend your money on.
Always see it as it’s not worth increasing your blood pressure over. Life too short to be peed off about a car.
Totally agree with you mate it's only a car it's just a shame they can't seem to fix the problems at the moment or even recognise it. The cars look great tho.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Photos are good but videos with audio where applicable really help show the issue as circumstances around it (though they could claim the screen flicker is just a video frame rate issue).
We have plenty of photos but getting it to it on video is a tough problem

We will give them a go and good luck with yours.

There’s the financial ombudsman and the motor ombudsman to try. I was lucky in both cases and didn’t have to go so far as the engine was spewing fuel everywhere or just didn’t work right.
To reject the car through the ombudsman there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the car to stop you using it. Getting it recovered should give you a strong case.
Thanks for the info

Totally agree with you mate it's only a car it's just a shame they can't seem to fix the problems at the moment or even recognise it. The cars look great tho.

It’s unfortunate that’s the way cars are going. So much electronic wizardry going on and poor software support. Just gonna get worse before it gets better now with electric cars becoming the thing. They are becoming to be like a crap budget windows laptop that needs hundreds of updates before it works then it becomes obsolete.
If you think about it back 20-30 years ago the r&d budget at vag would have been mainly on mechanicals like engine, gearboxes etc now they spend probably more than half of it on electronics like auto braking, sat nav and crap like talking to your car to get climate control working(what was wrong with a button/knob?). Because this is all new tech the kinks still needs ironed out and they just roll sh1t out before fully tested. We the consumers have become their testers cause they are in such a rush to roll it out to compete with other brands trying to roll the same kinda crap out so they are all getting bad not just Audi. My Land Rover was the same 5 dealer trips just to get the screens working right, there was 3 of them, then the engine and gearbox decided to blow a gasket. 12+ visits later I rejected it.
Anyway rant over.

Reactions: Mryolon
What warning lights have you had? I might be able to send you some footage from my YouTube videos to use - just pretend like it's your car lol

Reactions: mike60e, SamB2020 and AlS3BE
The App is useless in my opinion anyway at the minute. As you may of read I’ve had lots of problems with my mmi since I got the car but to tell you my findings the mmi has only ever flickered when my iPhone was be used and also ( touch wood ) hasn’t had the persistent crashes since I stopped using CarPlay.
Ive passed my findings on to Audi digital who are looking into it .

It’s unfortunate that’s the way cars are going. So much electronic wizardry going on and poor software support. Just gonna get worse before it gets better now with electric cars becoming the thing. They are becoming to be like a **** budget windows laptop that needs hundreds of updates before it works then it becomes obsolete.
If you think about it back 20-30 years ago the r&d budget at vag would have been mainly on mechanicals like engine, gearboxes etc now they spend probably more than half of it on electronics like auto braking, sat nav and **** like talking to your car to get climate control working(what was wrong with a button/knob?). Because this is all new tech the kinks still needs ironed out and they just roll sh1t out before fully tested. We the consumers have become their testers cause they are in such a rush to roll it out to compete with other brands trying to roll the same kinda **** out so they are all getting bad not just Audi. My Land Rover was the same 5 dealer trips just to get the screens working right, there was 3 of them, then the engine and gearbox decided to blow a gasket. 12+ visits later I rejected it.
Anyway rant over.
That's so true each manufacture are trying to be the first out with a new car without fully testing the product. Driverless cars are next, I hate to think what's going to happen when the system crashes.

Reactions: Mryolon and AlS3BE
What warning lights have you had? I might be able to send you some footage from my YouTube videos to use - just pretend like it's your car lol
Thanks mate that's really great.
Tyre warning lights but nothing wrong.
Engine warning pull over, turn off and on works ok.
Cruise control warning not available, turn car off and on works ok sometimes.
and a number of others but my wife said they only come on but can't get a chance to photo them.

The App is useless in my opinion anyway at the minute. As you may of read I’ve had lots of problems with my mmi since I got the car but to tell you my findings the mmi has only ever flickered when my iPhone was be used and also ( touch wood ) hasn’t had the persistent crashes since I stopped using CarPlay.
Ive passed my findings on to Audi digital who are looking into it .
I've only seen do a few times but it seems to go to a blank screen more now. Might have to go back to retro and get a cd unit

When l was in the showroom picking up my car on Thursday the sales guy was setting up the My Audi app but all l got was this message but l aint bothered about a insignificant thing like an app not working
be6a6e74e012a119729084cfda41020c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frizzley
The equivalent app on my BMW works really well, so there's no excuse. That said, I could easily live without it - just useful really to check fuel levels and send destinations to the car in advance. The other functions are rarely useful.

Reactions: AlS3BE, AdamInKent, Nothingdoing079 and 1 other person
App functionality for your TT is pretty limited to be honest. you ain’t missing much
The equivalent app on my BMW works really well, so there's no excuse. That said, I could easily live without it - just useful really to check fuel levels and send destinations to the car in advance. The other functions are rarely useful.
App functionality varies according to model - for the TT it’s pretty basic ie it doesn’t support car finder or remote locking for example.

It does support sending destinations to the car but something like WAZE is far more useful than the Audi nav system.

Whilst some of the digital features can be useful, longer term they are going to become just another way of extracting cash from customes through things like functions on demand. Longer term it’s going to be interesting how this will impact a vehicle’s resale value when features stop working when the car is sold.

Reactions: Jassyo06
App functionality for your TT is pretty limited to be honest. you ain’t missing much

App functionality varies according to model - for the TT it’s pretty basic ie it doesn’t support car finder or remote locking for example.

It does support sending destinations to the car but something like WAZE is far more useful than the Audi nav system.

Whilst some of the digital features can be useful, longer term they are going to become just another way of extracting cash from customes through things like functions on demand. Longer term it’s going to be interesting how this will impact a vehicle’s resale value when features stop working when the car is sold.
I kinda thought the app wouldn't much use at all in the TT even it where an 8Y I'd purchased l wouldn't use the app either the app addiction ain't my thing am old school l buy a car for its looks and how it drives not for its Technology which is always going to be fragile and intermittently unreliable

Reactions: Frizzley
Thanks mate that's really great.
Tyre warning lights but nothing wrong.
Engine warning pull over, turn off and on works ok.
Cruise control warning not available, turn car off and on works ok sometimes.
and a number of others but my wife said they only come on but can't get a chance to photo them.

Not sure if this will help, but heres a video from my car, which actually broke down again yesterday! (2nd time like this) shows some error messages if you need it

I think I have learned my lesson on getting first generation of cars as they all seem to have electrical faults. Is nice to get the newest style but in future I am not prepared to be the guinea pig whilst they sort out their issues. An trying to reject the car through Lex too as complained of issues within first 2 days, took 4 months for Audi to admit there is a problem but have no faith a fix will be out anytime soon. Such a shame as the last A3 version was a great car, really regret swapping it.

Reactions: mike60e and auzzam_crd
I cannot really understand why you have to obtain photo or video evidence......simply walk in to where you got the car from, speak to the salesman who dealt with your order and just say there is a problem with your car and could it be fixed, leave them the key and stroll out.
The simple truth is you should not have to supply `evidence`...the fact you are back there in your own time, and using your petrol should let them know you are not there because you like the place, you are there because the car has faults......all the other stuff is just BS, because if they do not listen to you then what are they saying `you are a liar?!!..... This is not your issue, and yo certainly do not have the skills to sort it yourself.... it could be as easy as a loose fitting to the MMI....
If you went into town and purchased a color tv, then you get home and its B/W,,,,,, you would take it back......so do the same with your car.

The thing about this Audi 8Y is the styling, it looks better than a golf, it looks better than a seat.....but both the seat and golf have much better spec sheets than the Audi for your buck!......yet all three are the same chassis and guts as each other with some minor tweaks!....now in the past this was fine as the Audi was leagues ahead in both design and spec.....when I say `design` I mean looks and build quality....now that gap has gone down to the point you might aswell spin a coin as to which one you want to purchase....and that is a shame for Audi as they will simply become part of the crowd and not a stand out brand......VW need to explain why the costs are so high in the current Audi A3 range....doors are made from recycled bandages and seats made from plastic bottles also recycled from the sainsbury`s bins....it could be Tesco but as its supposed to be premium they are probably from M&S!!!,,,,,, time will tell with the bum wear!!!

My daughter just purchased a 2017 Q3 Blk edition......its solid inside, everything looks like it just came from the showroom, dials, doors etc etc.....all looked smart and well built.......I do not think my A3 E1 will look that good or even work properly in 5 years time, because at the moment they are even struggling to get them working from the factory floor!......

I do think many people will look to other brands in the future unless Audi step up the game and make a return to using quality materials in ALL there cars....otherwise you might aswell go and buy a Seat.

I wouldn’t be confident of Audi fixing these issues, even in the long term. I rejected a brand new A35 AMG after just 3 months of ownership, you only have to look at the forums and more than 2 years later owners are still experiencing the problems I rejected mine because of.

I cannot really understand why you have to obtain photo or video evidence......simply walk in to where you got the car from, speak to the salesman who dealt with your order and just say there is a problem with your car and could it be fixed, leave them the key and stroll out.
The simple truth is you should not have to supply `evidence`...the fact you are back there in your own time, and using your petrol should let them know you are not there because you like the place, you are there because the car has faults......all the other stuff is just BS, because if they do not listen to you then what are they saying `you are a liar?!!..... This is not your issue, and yo certainly do not have the skills to sort it yourself.... it could be as easy as a loose fitting to the MMI....
If you went into town and purchased a color tv, then you get home and its B/W,,,,,, you would take it back......so do the same with your car.

The thing about this Audi 8Y is the styling, it looks better than a golf, it looks better than a seat.....but both the seat and golf have much better spec sheets than the Audi for your buck!......yet all three are the same chassis and guts as each other with some minor tweaks!....now in the past this was fine as the Audi was leagues ahead in both design and spec.....when I say `design` I mean looks and build quality....now that gap has gone down to the point you might aswell spin a coin as to which one you want to purchase....and that is a shame for Audi as they will simply become part of the crowd and not a stand out brand......VW need to explain why the costs are so high in the current Audi A3 range....doors are made from recycled bandages and seats made from plastic bottles also recycled from the sainsbury`s bins....it could be Tesco but as its supposed to be premium they are probably from M&S!!!,,,,,, time will tell with the bum wear!!!

My daughter just purchased a 2017 Q3 Blk edition......its solid inside, everything looks like it just came from the showroom, dials, doors etc etc.....all looked smart and well built.......I do not think my A3 E1 will look that good or even work properly in 5 years time, because at the moment they are even struggling to get them working from the factory floor!......

I do think many people will look to other brands in the future unless Audi step up the game and make a return to using quality materials in ALL there cars....otherwise you might aswell go and buy a Seat.
The Audi cost cutting has hit the new A1 range and especially the new A3 as similar materials have been used on both of their the interiors... on the launch of the new 8Y I am sure Audi had some clause in a contract with the press...to skip over the cheaper materials used because it was hardly mentioned in the reviews but most 8v owners knew different a couple didn't seem to mind about the inferior materials used and got an 8y but most long term members on here have given it a wide bearth...me included and rightly so....its not Audi enough given its price, not even a face lift can change that...as they're mostly cosmetic

The Audi cost cutting has hit the new A1 range and especially the new A3 as similar materials have been used on both of their the interiors... on the launch of the new 8Y I am sure Audi had some clause in a contract with the press...to skip over the cheaper materials used because it was hardly mentioned in the reviews but most 8v owners knew different a couple didn't seem to mind about the inferior materials used and got an 8y but most long term members on here have given it a wide bearth...me included and rightly so....its not Audi enough given its price, not even a face lift can change that...as they're mostly cosmetic

including myself I know 3 people who have been long time Audi drivers that have jumped ship recently. My friend didn’t go for the TTS in the end, he ordered a new Z4 which was significantly cheaper because of BMW’s apr rate.

Reactions: Jassyo06
including myself I know 3 people who have been long time Audi drivers that have jumped ship recently. My friend didn’t go for the TTS in the end, he ordered a new Z4 which was significantly cheaper because of BMW’s apr rate.

Z4 is a ****** looker with real road presence and even rarer on the roads than the TTS the apr has dropped though down to 4-5% love the Z4 in Misano Blue

VW work in a way that is so slick that they order parts as they use them, hence why they do not have a warehouse to store all the parts....it is litrally `use a lightbulb - order a lightbulb`...on every part, meaning as it comes through the door it is fitted!!!.......
Now the reason I mention this is ALL car companies use the same chip for the MMI systems....hence why the latest Audi marketing was quick to point out that the latest MMI is 10x faster..... these chips are also used in tablets, gaming consoles and other media devices...... now because the car companies work in the way explained above, they could not get there hands on the chips because of the covid restrictions and the restrictions imposed on China!.....so they basically all got short of the newer cpu`s for the current MMI`s....... maybe they did run out and decided to use some old stock or recycled cpu`s from older models....who knows what goes on behind those big VW doors, but being the largest motor company now I guess we will never know!

in video....

I wouldn’t be confident of Audi fixing these issues, even in the long term. I rejected a brand new A35 AMG after just 3 months of ownership, you only have to look at the forums and more than 2 years later owners are still experiencing the problems I rejected mine because of.
This is exactly what I am worried about. They have finally acknowledged working on a fix for the SOS warning light but...

Nothing on the other mmi issues which my local dealer still tried to act oblivious to.

The customer service (rather lack off) has really put a negative experience on Audi ownership for me.

Reactions: mike60e and Mryolon
This is exactly what I am worried about. They have finally acknowledged working on a fix for the SOS warning light but...

Nothing on the other mmi issues which my local dealer still tried to act oblivious to.

The customer service (rather lack off) has really put a negative experience on Audi ownership for me.

Thats the problem with buying a brand new model, with all the technology in cars these days systemic problems can take years to sort out. Just take a look at any other software driven products you have, they are all released with bugs, some worse than others but all require a fix a some point, but you are reliant on the developer to produce and release a fix.

Thats the problem with buying a brand new model, with all the technology in cars these days systemic problems can take years to sort out. Just take a look at any other software driven products you have, they are all released with bugs, some worse than others but all require a fix a some point, but you are reliant on the developer to produce and release a fix.
I might be wrong but at present there are 5 levels to the automation ladder, we are currently at level 3 of this technology..... Now in the future the aim is for all cars, electric by then,,to talk to one another, plus with pin point GPS etc the cars will eventually be self driven, you will just get in, say take me to...and off you go whilst you do some work or read a book....
If systems that are not working at this level then customers will have little or no faith in embracing future automated control......putting cars onto the market with software that is badly written is always a big `no no`....if people are having simple issues with the MMI, or warning lights, then what about the peace of mind in knowing that the pre-sense or the lane departure does not go belly up also, after all they aare all tied into the same software.

Now that covid seems to be lifting, maybe some of the software guys will get on it and make these systems more stable, the software has been around for awhile as it was seen on the A8 before the release of the A3.... were issues in the A8 any worse, or was it stable.....my guess it is not software but as stated maybe a microchip glitch that needs to be sorted....if its a small batch of cars from the period of August - Sept then it was probably an issue with chip supply.....

My car was built Nov2020 picked it up Feb2021......I wanted the car in Mythos Black, Audi could not find one in the UK and instead offered me the Daytona grey as they could have the car to me in two weeks....I declined and said I would wait the 4 months for the build....it was worth the wait....although my daughters Q3 2017 blk edition is Daytona and in the sunlight is looks really cool...almost rainbow metallics.

A word on the Mythos Black.....I had the black gloss before this one on my other Audi....The Mythos just looks like a gloss black......until the sun hits it, then it goes much lighter in color and properly pings....great color if you go for the edition one range.....but remember, Black is not a color its a hobby....kin seagulls!!!!!!

I might be wrong but at present there are 5 levels to the automation ladder, we are currently at level 3 of this technology..... Now in the future the aim is for all cars, electric by then,,to talk to one another, plus with pin point GPS etc the cars will eventually be self driven, you will just get in, say take me to...and off you go whilst you do some work or read a book....
If systems that are not working at this level then customers will have little or no faith in embracing future automated control......putting cars onto the market with software that is badly written is always a big `no no`....if people are having simple issues with the MMI, or warning lights, then what about the peace of mind in knowing that the pre-sense or the lane departure does not go belly up also, after all they aare all tied into the same software.

Now that covid seems to be lifting, maybe some of the software guys will get on it and make these systems more stable, the software has been around for awhile as it was seen on the A8 before the release of the A3.... were issues in the A8 any worse, or was it stable.....my guess it is not software but as stated maybe a microchip glitch that needs to be sorted....if its a small batch of cars from the period of August - Sept then it was probably an issue with chip supply.....

My car was built Nov2020 picked it up Feb2021......I wanted the car in Mythos Black, Audi could not find one in the UK and instead offered me the Daytona grey as they could have the car to me in two weeks....I declined and said I would wait the 4 months for the build....it was worth the wait....although my daughters Q3 2017 blk edition is Daytona and in the sunlight is looks really cool...almost rainbow metallics.

A word on the Mythos Black.....I had the black gloss before this one on my other Audi....The Mythos just looks like a gloss black......until the sun hits it, then it goes much lighter in color and properly pings....great color if you go for the edition one range.....but remember, Black is not a color its a hobby....kin seagulls!!!!!!

It could be a number of things, for example it could be an assembly line problem where items have been installed incorrectly. Im pretty sure this is what happened with my A35, typically Mercedes did not want to highlight they had problems with a significant number of these cars, many of which still have these problems 2 years later. I suspect Audi will deal with it in the same way, with owners suffering these problems for years to come.

Latest update...

We had a call from our local dealer last Thursday asking if they could pick up the car first thing Monday morning. It went in all day (7 to 8 hours) to do the 6 major updates that was needed to fix all the problems. Hopefully over the next few weeks we will see if they are telling the truth.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Latest update...

We had a call from our local dealer last Thursday asking if they could pick up the car first thing Monday morning. It went in all day (7 to 8 hours) to do the 6 major updates that was needed to fix all the problems. Hopefully over the next few weeks we will see if they are telling the truth.

Sorry for the long description

I've totally lost faith now. We travelled down to the coast yesterday in the two cars while following the wife she had to pull over saying that the tyre had deflated, checked all round and checked the pressure all ok also set the setting in the mmi switched on and off a few times and it disappeared from the display.
Travelled for another 20miles or so and pulled over yet again with the same problem, this time deflated each tyre and pumped back up to the correct psi and reset again the mmi tyre setting.
This time we swapped over cars and it did it again, also the the screen went off but came back on after 5mins on it own.

Plus point is the traffic sign system works all the time and the car drives nicely and is comfortable.