Not another mfsw post

Moony_1989

Reaction score
Hi guys

sorry for asking about something that’s been covered thousands of times. I’ve read most of the forums but can’t get a definitive answer on what I need

I have 56 a3 sportback s line, with retro cruise and I want to change the wheel to a mfsw with volume controls but unsure which one will fit and what else I’ll need for the install. Wondered if someone can point me in the right direction

thanks

You need to find out the steering module under the dash, not sure if being already with cruise if that's enough @NHN will know

You need to find out the steering module under the dash, not sure if being already with cruise if that's enough @NHN will know

I’m undecided on what i want really, is something like this a straight swap

Or will this fit but be hard work

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The top one needs a shield style of air bag and the lower one needs a round bag

The top one needs a shield style of air bag and the lower one needs a round bag

The wheel in my car is the shield type(same shape as the bonnet grill) so would that be a bolt and code with vcds job??

Do prefer the round one like above and also like the one you are selling suppose it comes down to cost

Yeah providing the module takes it.
Yeah all down to money haha

Yeah providing the module takes it.
Yeah all down to money haha

I’ll find out what module is on my car and update over the weekend. Thanks for the help

Reactions: LEE69
Here is a handy dandy table from Ross-Tech.

Basicly only LOW variants of modules don't support MFSW. Since you have cruisecontrol (CC) your module will support MFSW, there is no module that only does CC. All CC modules have MFSW support in them. So, you can go for the flatbottom if you fancy that one more. But keep in mind you need to buy a round airbag and they are quite exspensive.

I made a lot of handy dandy HOW-TO's including MFSW and CC retrofit. You can read through my post here;

However, I'm not sure what year your A3 is from? Since the earlier models (2004-2006) used singlestage airbags. The flatbottoms are duastage. So if you have the 8P1 you still face some issues, 8P2 and 8P3 (Facelift) are fine.

Not sure what model you drive?

This should include everythin you'll need. Good luck bud!

Here is a handy dandy table from Ross-Tech.

Basicly only LOW variants of modules don't support MFSW. Since you have cruisecontrol (CC) your module will support MFSW, there is no module that only does CC. All CC modules have MFSW support in them. So, you can go for the flatbottom if you fancy that one more. But keep in mind you need to buy a round airbag and they are quite exspensive.

I made a lot of handy dandy HOW-TO's including MFSW and CC retrofit. You can read through my post here;

However, I'm not sure what year your A3 is from? Since the earlier models (2004-2006) used singlestage airbags. The flatbottoms are duastage. So if you have the 8P1 you still face some issues, 8P2 and 8P3 (Facelift) are fine.

Not sure what model you drive?

This should include everythin you'll need. Good luck bud!

That clears things up somewhat, there seems to be a lot of info that contradicts each other!

My car is a 2006 sportback!

293ffd1d7ef0f558186eebfca0ce3f25.jpg

I found this last night which seemed right

I might just buy a while like above with the same shape airbag and try it

I take it I will need the loom from the wheel to slip ring?

Do you have a part number for that??

Thanks for the help

That clears things up somewhat, there seems to be a lot of info that contradicts each other!

My car is a 2006 sportback!

293ffd1d7ef0f558186eebfca0ce3f25.jpg

I found this last night which seemed right

I might just buy a while like above with the same shape airbag and try it

I take it I will need the loom from the wheel to slip ring?

Do you have a part number for that??

Thanks for the help

If you remove your airbag, there should be two connectors on it (dual stage). If you have 1 connector on it (single stage) then you are looking into replacing the whole ignition for airbag systems too.. Never did that, but this hero @Troubs12 did.

Reactions: Troubs12
If you remove your airbag, there should be two connectors on it (dual stage). If you have 1 connector on it (single stage) then you are looking into replacing the whole ignition for airbag systems too.. Never did that, but this hero @Troubs12 did.

View attachment 240468

I’ll pull it apart after work to confirm! Cheers for the help!

Reactions: Troubs12 and henkkeumus