Not the first post subject I hoped to make

Mr Mustard

Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently returned to Audi after an 8 year break. Bought a very nicely specced 65 plate S3 Sportback, dealership CEOs wife's car, as I'm sure they tell everyone who buys a demonstrator.

Unfortunately after less than a month of ownership I was woken at 4am to be told by my wife the car was no longer on the driveway. It was like being kicked in the guts.

They had made forced entry through the living room window, causing damage that means the whole thing needs replacing. It was just my car that was targeted as nothing else was stolen bar cash from my wife's handbag. Unfortunately they found & took the whole pot of keys which included both mine (advanced locking), both for my wife's car plus set of house keys attached and my son's spare key.

Never heard a ****** thing.

Car was found the following day, abandoned in a nearby town with false plates. Was told by police an Audi was reported leaving scene's of crime after a series of burglaries.

Sorry for the long rant but it helps to get it off my chest.

Reactions: S3 Turbo, TDI-line, xpoweruk and 3 others
Sorry to hear that. At least no one was threatened or injured when they got into your house. How are you moving forward from this point? Going to keep the car or get rid?

Reactions: Jassyo06
That really is a sh*tty thing to happen..
No words can describe how you feel I bet....
Hope you and the family get over it soon..:friends:

Sorry to hear that. At least no one was threatened or injured when they got into your house. How are you moving forward from this point? Going to keep the car or get rid?

My initial reaction was to sell the car and replace it with something ordinary. But if you're a petrol head how can you go through life driving something ordinary? The unhappiness that would bring could be worse than the fear of theft. So I guess I'll have to live with the fear.

Major overhaul on house security started. The words 'horse' & 'bolted' are not lost on me.

That really is a sh*tty thing to happen.
No words can describe how you feel I bet....
Hope you and the family get over it soon..:friends:

Thanks pburv.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, SmileyS3, WarwickL and 3 others
Hi all,
Recently returned to Audi after an 8 year break. Bought a very nicely specced 65 plate S3 Sportback, dealership CEOs wife's car, as I'm sure they tell everyone who buys a demonstrator.

Unfortunately after less than a month of ownership I was woken at 4am to be told by my wife the car was no longer on the driveway. It was like being kicked in the guts.

They had made forced entry through the living room window, causing damage that means the whole thing needs replacing. It was just my car that was targeted as nothing else was stolen bar cash from my wife's handbag. Unfortunately they found & took the whole pot of keys which included both mine (advanced locking), both for my wife's car plus set of house keys attached and my son's spare key.

Never heard a ****** thing.

Car was found the following day, abandoned in a nearby town with false plates. Was told by police an Audi was reported leaving scene's of crime after a series of burglaries.

Sorry for the long rant but it helps to get it off my chest.
Sod the car mate and glad you and your family are well! Most important thing by far. The rest is annoying and heart breaking possibly but it's just a car and this can be fixed :) Getting another S3 or not, well I can see your dilemna. Get another S3 I say and an alarm for the house (?)

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
I suppose having a car that is now going to be registered as 'stolen / recovered' in going to reduce its value significantly and make it harder to sell.

I haven't seen the car yet, but am told the only damage seems to be damaged trim and cut carpet in the drivers footwell. Wonder why.

Hi my friend sorry to hear of this and l can nearly relate to how you feel, as my house was broken into just to steal my car at 02-00 am ish a few months ago,but fortunately my Mrs heard them as they just about crossed over the door threshold, they had smashed the door locks,the same happened less than 2 years before this aswell,yeah initially on both occasions l thought **** it l ain't buying another fast car just for these thieves to attempt to steal again,but l ended up thinking why the hell should l do without one of my very few pleasures in life,so l have beefed up security on all doors and downstairs windows and most of all peeps in the house are far more alertful to anything suspicious outside the house

Reactions: davc, WarwickL, TDI-line and 1 other person
Hi jassy. Sorry to hear of your experiences, hope you can sleep better at night by now.

Cars are about the only thing I waste my money on. I suppose without this, part of me would be gone. But if I'm worrying that the next attempt may be just around the corner I might need to find another hobby.

Reactions: SmileyS3, Flatcap and pburv
Nasty nasty people who thrive on the proceeds of other folks hard won pleasures.
Beneath contempt and hope you and yours are safe and stay safe.

Reactions: pburv
DSC 0509
DSC 0509
Hi jassy. Sorry to hear of your experiences, hope you can sleep better at night by now.

Cars are about the only thing I waste my money on. I suppose without this, part of me would be gone. But if I'm worrying that the next attempt may be just around the corner I might need to find another hobby.

Yeah l know exactly what you're thinking first things first see to the home's extra security,fitting a security alarm in my house is a bit pointless just.now as l have 2 female teenagers who have lifestyles comparable to vampires... Without the blood sucking part of course lol so l have fitted 2 of these on all the doors and windows they are strong and don't look that intrusive,most house thieves will burst the locks first rather smashing double glazing..?As for the car just be patient accept it back check out the damage and get it repaired and back to new, see how you feel then,you go through a whole lot transient emotions and ideas when this crap happens to yourself

Reactions: davc, pburv and h1r4
Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm having a downer day today but sure I will feel more positive in the future.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
sorry to hear this too, i picked up my new s3 two weeks ago, and although locked in a garage every night still very paranoid about it..

i hope you have a straight forward process with your insurance company.

I went through a nasty break in and double bubble car theft a few years back.
Won't go through it all again, as I have posted it on here before.

Any road up. Do not change your choice of car! Get what you want. If you dont they have won and you my friend have lost.

View attachment 93602 View attachment 93602

Yeah l know exactly what you're thinking first things first see to the home's extra security,fitting a security alarm in my house is a bit pointless just.now as l have 2 female teenagers who have lifestyles comparable to vampires... Without the blood sucking part of course lol so l have fitted 2 of these on all the doors and windows they are strong and don't look that intrusive,most house thieves will burst the locks first rather smashing double glazing..?As for the car just be patient accept it back check out the damage and get it repaired and back to new, see how you feel then,you go through a whole lot transient emotions and ideas when this **** happens to yourself

Have you got a link to those locks jassy?
I may get some.
Ta

I suppose having a car that is now going to be registered as 'stolen / recovered' in going to reduce its value significantly and make it harder to sell.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's repaired and returned to you it won't be recorded, just as if you hit someone up the backside and had a bonnet/bumper repair isn't recorded.

It's cars that are recovered after the owner has been paid our that get written off as cat d/stolen recovered.

OT - I was just thinking that it's almost unheard of for cars to be stolen near me, just checked and Cambs has the lowest rate of theft. I put that down to Tony Martin shooting those burglars all those years ago!

https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/blog/uk-car-theft-statistics

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton, fivespice, TDI-line and 2 others
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's repaired and returned to you it won't be recorded, just as if you hit someone up the backside and had a bonnet/bumper repair isn't recorded.

It's cars that are recovered after the owner has been paid our that get written off as cat d/stolen recovered.

OT - I was just thinking that it's almost unheard of for cars to be stolen near me, just checked and Cambs has the lowest rate of theft. I put that down to Tony Martin shooting those burglars all those years ago!

https://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/blog/uk-car-theft-statistics

Great news if your right. Yea Tony Martin.

Reactions: batch and pburv
I'm so sorry to hear of your car problem. I'm really pleased that you're not going to let these baskets put you off what you want to do in life..
Good on you.
But you do need to beef up your security. Whilst not being a security expert I'm sure there really are a bunch of things you can do to get them to move on to something easier and less risky for them.

Thoughts are with you, my wife walked in on a burglar 8 years ago so I know what it's like. I know you arefeeling down but you can't lets the buggers win.

Unfortunatly all to frequent at the moment, only a week ago a friend foiled a would be break in when he came home to see someone fiddling with his front door, the guy bolted sharpish ...my friend had his Golf R a week

Decent house, alarm, CCTV, dashcam in the car, security lighting and decent locks on the doors and windows will protect the family. GAP insurance to cover the financial harsh is it happens again...sorted

Very sorry to hear this Mr Mustard.

Hope things get sorted for you and your home.

This may be of interest to you, a wifi based doorbell with motion sensors.
I have one, and would recommend one. Mine looks out on all 3 vehicles on my drive, and is live when a motion happens straight to as many phones/devices as you want. They are also adding cctv additions soon, and everything is recorded, sound and vision!

http://www.erahomesecurity.com/products/era-ring/

Reactions: SmileyS3
Thanks for you support everyone, I'm humbled. Seems like a top forum.

Reactions: TDI-line, Daveotto, Soulboy and 3 others
Sorry to hear this mate and like others have said, it's time to beef up your home security.

I have sash jammers fitted to all downstairs windows, I also have secured by design door handles and top grade cylinders fitted to the doors.

My next move is a couple of solidor composite doors but they ain't cheap.

My missus thinks I'm mad but I take home security very seriously. My estate is full of nice cars and burglaries happen here several times a year. Most people are oblivious as to how easy it is to break into a house.

Don't give in to the lowlife and let them stop you having nice things, but at the same time don't make it easy for them

PM me if you want details of quality stuff you can fit.

Reactions: SmileyS3
Definitely a rubbish experience for you. Lie others have said, don't let it get you down and just go out and do Launch Control under a few tunnels! In the wet aswell...

Have you got a link to those locks jassy?
I may get some.
Ta
Not sure what brand Jassy fitted but I bought fab & fix sash jammers off eBay, £5.95 each. You get the jammer, extra packers, jack nuts and reinforced screws in the kit. They are considered to be the best on the market.

I would advise using the jack nuts if securing to upvc and use something like araldite to bond the back face of the jack nut to the frame.

Sorry to hear this mate and like others have said, it's time to beef up your home security.

I have sash jammers fitted to all downstairs windows, I also have secured by design door handles and top grade cylinders fitted to the doors.

My next move is a couple of solidor composite doors but they ain't cheap.

My missus thinks I'm mad but I take home security very seriously. My estate is full of nice cars and burglaries happen here several times a year. Most people are oblivious as to how easy it is to break into a house.

Don't give in to the lowlife and let them stop you having nice things, but at the same time don't make it easy for them

PM me if you want details of quality stuff you can fit.

We are getting quotes to have our entire house re-glazed and re-doored with multi-point locking windows &doors, internal beading etc. At the moment we have very characterful hand made mahogany windows, with 1970s levels of security. And then a better alarm system. So if the want it now they'll have to car-jack it...Doo.

If you can make sure the windows and doors are PAS-24 certified, it makes a difference in terms of security.

Multi point locking systems are only as good as the handles and cylinders used to operate them. You would be surprised at the number of companies that supply good quality doors with competent locking systems that are rendered useless when an attacker rips off the door handle and lock with a pair of mole grips.

Mr Mustard,
sorry to hear about the break in and loss of the car, I hope they catch them!

Regarding the sash- jammers, I had these fitted to the patio doors top and bottom as added security due to the large doors ( without jack nuts as steel inside the UPVC) This stops them springing the door from outside using a spade or jemmy, fantastic grip on them. Regarding the locks, have a look at the Avocet ABS lock upgrade with your new upvc doors, although these are not cheap they are impossible to break even if they do rip the door lock off with molegrips (google bumping to see demo.) Good prices on the home secure site, and I have no connection to them other than as buyer.

http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/security/window-door-security/sash-jammers

Reactions: davc
If you can make sure the windows and doors are PAS-24 certified, it makes a difference in terms of security.

Multi point locking systems are only as good as the handles and cylinders used to operate them. You would be surprised at the number of companies that supply good quality doors with competent locking systems that are rendered useless when an attacker rips off the door handle and lock with a pair of mole grips.

Phoned the window company as soon as I read this and they assured me they are PAS-24. Thanks for that davc, I owe you a beer / martini (delete as appropriate).

Reactions: davc
Very sorry to read what has happened to your pride and joy :rage:

Mr Mustard,
sorry to hear about the break in and loss of the car, I hope they catch them!

Regarding the sash- jammers, I had these fitted to the patio doors top and bottom as added security due to the large doors ( without jack nuts as steel inside the UPVC) This stops them springing the door from outside using a spade or jemmy, fantastic grip on them. Regarding the locks, have a look at the Avocet ABS lock upgrade with your new upvc doors, although these are not cheap they are impossible to break even if they do rip the door lock off with molegrips (google bumping to see demo.) Good prices on the home secure site, and I have no connection to them other than as buyer.

http://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/security/window-door-security/sash-jammers
I replaced the ABS locks we had with Ultion cylinders as they were a few years old. The Ultion lock is much better and will still operate with the key if the outer part is snapped off.
Phoned the window company as soon as I read this and they assured me they are PAS-24. Thanks for that davc, I owe you a beer / martini (delete as appropriate).
You're very welcome my friend.

Reactions: traindweller
I disturbed a burglar in our house when I was 13 , nasty experience , need this guy
70e83d84f6a690d696edc2e424130b0c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk