Not too happy with the new spacers

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
So I've installed 12 mm front and 15 mm rear H&R spacers on my S3 and although it made the car look better, I feel like the handling has suffered a bit.

For some reason, I feel like the steering is now heavier and the suspension seems stiffer than before.

I thought they were used to enhance handling.

Any opinions regarding them?

I have 15mm spacers all round. Have not really noticed / felt any suspension changes but the steering is ever so slightly heavier than it was without them, which I believe is normal given that you are moving the wheels further out.

I'm running 20mm back and 12mm front and didn't really notice a change like described. As said steering did become ever so slightly heavier but barely noticeable. Only really felt the change after removing them for other reasons for a couple days then putting them back on.

You are adjusting the steering geometry by adding spacers to the front. Instead of pivoting the wheels about their centres, you are now swinging them slightly. It's hard to explain. Having wheels with the wrong offset causes the same issue, but most people don't seem concerned by it. I previously had a vauxhall which was a pain to buy wheels for. On two seperater sets of wheels I had a few mm machined off the hub mounting face to increase the offset. On both occasions, the handling of the car seemed to improve.

I noticed that the camber and caster of the wheels have changed now that the spacers are in place.

Is this going to be a problem or is it a natural thing with spacers? So far I can only say I like the looks better and nothing else.

Any pics with the spacers on? :) Was hoping to go 12mm and 15mm rear too.

IMG 20151122 WA0012
20151122 213425

Reactions: Fiddie
I am really not happy with the added steering weight after the installation of the spacers.

It's now as heavy in comfort mode as it was in dynamic before the spacers and now dynamic mode steering is useless as it is ridiculously heavy.

Would eliminating the front spacers solve this issue? Would it be fine to run rear spacers only?

Due to issues with bolt length I ended up running with 15mm spacers only in the rear, while waiting on longer bolts all round to arrive. Steering felt as per normal as the front track was unchanged. The wider rear track felt better than stock to be honest and did not look odd to my eyes at all. As I posted above, now I have 15mm in each corner I do feel that the steering is ever so slightly heavier but not to the point which you seem to be finding / feeling. Changing profiles still adjusts the weight with no issues for me. Maybe you need to have your overall alignment checked out in order to see if anything is off.

I would suggest googling "Staggered Setups", is a lot of information out there :)

Reactions: drummerdimitri
I've been pricing up spacers as I think it needs it just for looks, I had 15mm rear spacers on my previous car so steering was not really affected. After having my car only a week I am still getting use to the driving and the steering is definitely different to my last one. TBH I think it could do with weighting up a bit, I haven't noticed the difference between modes if there is actually much (give me time...!)

One question I have, what are the bolt lengths, std and extended for 12/15mm spacers?

With my 15mm Spacers I used 45mm (thread length) replacement bolts all round with no issues. The Audi standard bolts are 27mm thread length.

Reactions: blodwen715
With my 15mm Spacers I used 45mm (thread length) replacement bolts all round with no issues. The Audi standard bolts are 27mm thread length.
Thanks for this info. Just out of interest how did your car compare in handling terms when you added the front spacers? Anything noticeable?

Personally I think the overall handling improved when adding the rears and then improved further once adding the fronts. Everything seems more planted and a bit smoother. Saying that, I have not had the chance to speed above 50mph since fitting, only been on local roads so far. The car takes speed bumps a lot better than before, both sleeping policemen and the ones with gaps in them. Cannot comment on potholes as I go out of my way to avoid them but I feel no difference driving on London's crappy roads with the spacers on. I have noticed that my turning circle has become a little larger now and that I also find myself being extra careful while parking next to curbs. Fitting them has been worthwhile so far.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Fitted spacers today, 20mm rear and 15mm front. didnt expect any difference in the steering but it has slightly stiffened it up and doesn't feel as floaty. No issues so far so pretty happy.
IMG 9056 IMG 9058 IMG 9060