NSFW Dirty Cabin/Pollen Filter

kcpism

Reaction score
Recently purchased my A3 Sportback and since have had a full service, water pump and cam/aux belt done at a friendly garage but today is was my turn to get my hands dirty...enjoy!

New:

Original:

Comparison:

Never underestimate how dirty your cabin/pollen filter may be...

definitely worth doing, often overlooked but very easy job to do.
though the darkness of the old filter might be that it was a carbon filter, rather than it starting out as a white filter and turning black due to dirt. still, looks like it was worth changing.

definitely worth doing, often overlooked but very easy job to do.
though the darkness of the old filter might be that it was a carbon filter, rather than it starting out as a white filter and turning black due to dirt. still, looks like it was worth changing.

Yeah carbon filter, starts of dark grey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments, should I have got a replacement carbon filter then instead?!

The old one was so full of crud I just assumed it would have been some form of white to start with *yuck*

carbon filters remove (or theyre intended to at least) block odours and exhaust fumes getting into the car.
given the option, id pick the carbon over the standard one, but i doubt it makes a big difference. id rather have a clean standard filter vs an old dirty carbon one, so i wouldnt bother changing.

when i changed mine this year i went with https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/...SI CAXC, CMSA (T82732)/Cabin Filter/FP 2939~1

a mann frecious-plus, which is supposed to capture what the standard and carbon ones do, plus allergens and moulds. dunno whether it does or not, but it was on offer at ecp!

Reactions: kcpism
I’ll run the standard one over winter/spring. We’re planning on heading over to France in summer so will change it out for a Mann activated carbon one as above for then.

Thanks for the comments

That looks like an old one - they get "overlooked" :glee: