SQ5 Number plate mounting Q5 FY

Reaction score
Have searched in the forum and online, but can't find the answer and before I pull the original number plates off, thought I'd ask here...

I've got a 5 digit UK private plate to put on the car and I want to fit a new legal font, but short, plate - 355mm long, 111mm tall.

Existing front plate is stuck on with I guess sticky pads. Rear plate is screwed on 2 screws, one either end.

Does anyone have any photo's and/or measurements of what is behind both plates? Mounting fixings, Screw holes, other holes, indents etc etc ? If I buy a short plate, worried it wont cover all the bits a full plate would cover.

Has anyone else done this and have any advice? Cost of plates isn't much, but would prefer not to waste a set and my time finding out after I've transferred the number.

Have searched in the forum and online, but can't find the answer and before I pull the original number plates off, thought I'd ask here...

I've got a 5 digit UK private plate to put on the car and I want to fit a new legal font, but short, plate - 355mm long, 111mm tall.

Existing front plate is stuck on with I guess sticky pads. Rear plate is screwed on 2 screws, one either end.

Does anyone have any photo's and/or measurements of what is behind both plates? Mounting fixings, Screw holes, other holes, indents etc etc ? If I buy a short plate, worried it wont cover all the bits a full plate would cover.

Has anyone else done this and have any advice? Cost of plates isn't much, but would prefer not to waste a set and my time finding out after I've transferred the number.
Funny, I just fitted some new plates to mine!

Front = no mounts, screw holes or indents.
Rear = Foam pad, x2 protruding screw mounts (approx 4mm) and in-between the screw mounts there is an indent.

Foam pad can be removed with no issues. When sizing I would not smaller then the current screw spacing as you won't be able to cover the mounts.

Reactions: SteveeeGee
Thanks for tips. Received my new plates this week and have been out this morning to drill and prepare them on the back, since the rain has finally stopped for a bit! Can't transfer the number yet as the V750 still hasn't arrived from DVLA :rage:.

What's best for removing the excess foam pad and residue? Meths? Alcohol? some other wacky detailer stuff?

unleaded works pretty well with a plastic blade - gently.

for removal i used a hairdryer to warm up the pads then rubbed them off finished off with ag tar remover, fitted standard size plate to front and a 16" plate to rear covered over the indent and screw holes no probs

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwood