Number plate

prs999

Reaction score
Hi,

Since I bought My 2005 A4 Avant the rear number plate has been loose and keeps slipping down on one side, I had a look at and I can't see how it screws on. I don't want to start taking the car apart on the off chance I find the problem.
does anyone know how it screws on so I can tighten it up

Cheers

On my 2006 Avant there are captive nuts in the boot lid. The plastic screws that cone with number plates fit 5mm I think. I'd whip it off and take a look, you probably need new bolts.

Also mine had an antivibration foam stuck to the car that I had to carefully peel off the old number plate.

If you can't see any screw heads then it will be fixed with double sided number plate foam pads.

In this case you'll need to pull the existing plate off the car to be able to replace then. Get some replacement sticky fixings first though :)

When I say pull, start from the loose corner and apply gentle pressure to ease it off of the boot lid.

Great, Thanks

I've seen some sticky pad residue so its probably those as well as screw,i'll have a go and let everyone know the outcome

thanks for the help

I have one of these which was fitted by the garage, I think this is screwed on and then the number plate is stick onto this as there are no screws showing, was going to have a look today but the rain put an end to that! will; keep you posted

Ok, Job finally done, as suspected the numberplate was stuck onto the plastic housing (of the style alfie155 bought off of ebay), this was then screwed onto the car with plastic screws, there were no nuts on the back, the threaded fixing holes were incorporated into the car.

Job wasn't too bad just be warned to check the length of the fixing screws if you buy new ones, if they are too long they will bottom out on the bottom of the fixing hole before they are tight and because there plastic they don't always come back out easily when this happens.

All straight and sorted now, thanks for all of your help

Cheers