Numberplate format legality (UK)

Riceman

Reaction score
Morning everyone! Apologies if this is in the wrong topic.

I was wondering around how legal it is to space out the number plate to form a word. For example, say I have VA11 BCD and I wanted to get a custom plate to spell out V A11BCD is this legal? I've read a lot of conflicting information, so I wasn't sure before ordering.

Thank you :)

There is only one way to space the number plate for use on the roads . And to pass a mot . All other ways are not allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

607362c0fbe5438d4129ab98998bc080.jpg

From mot manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riceman
As above - you need the 33mm gap between the year digits and the three random letters. Simples.

Never quite understand why people want to make a feature of a number plate - it draw the eye away from the car and IMO diminishes it.

Reactions: SiPie and Riceman
Morning everyone! Apologies if this is in the wrong topic.

I was wondering around how legal it is to space out the number plate to form a word. For example, say I have VA11 BCD and I wanted to get a custom plate to spell out V A11BCD is this legal? I've read a lot of conflicting information, so I wasn't sure before ordering.

Thank you :)

Simple answer to your question is it would be illegal and in addition to being an MOT failiure if your unlucky could result in you getting a £100 non endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice.

Not many people are aware that incorrectly displayed cherished registration offences also get notified to the DVLA who can pwithdraw the cherished number plate from the vehicle temporarily or permanently even though you pay for them as the DVLA still own them