Nurburgring trip

Raiden

Reaction score
Hi

A friend has invited me to go in July and I am very tempted but just unsure if I should go?

I have a S3 8P 2008 and I would like to do a few laps in it there but once I am done will I need to chuck a load of money at the car sorting out broken stuff? I'm estimating the whole trip to cost 1k but if you hammer the car round track should I add in the cost of repairs or even prepping it before hand?

I read online that most people need new tyres and brakes when they finish.

Otherwise I thinking ill just go to Santa pod instead LOL

Reactions: dsme
Hi

A friend has invited me to go in July and I am very tempted but just unsure if I should go?

I have a S3 8P 2008 and I would like to do a few laps in it there but once I am done will I need to chuck a load of money at the car sorting out broken stuff? I'm estimating the whole trip to cost 1k but if you hammer the car round track should I add in the cost of repairs or even prepping it before hand?

I read online that most people need new tyres and brakes when they finish.

Otherwise I thinking ill just go to Santa pod instead LOL

Can't really add much here other than reiterate what you have mentioned, you should expect to put new discs and pads on it unless you have a setup that will cope with the heat you will be putting into them but I guess it depends on how many laps you will be doing - you need to let them cool down, don't just park up. Buy proper tyres too as street tyres wont provide the best grip (obviously) and will wear more quickly. A lot of people like Ad08s (I haven't tried them myself), I've experienced Nankang NS2-Rs on a JCW which were good. Make sure to visit Pistenklause if you like steak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost and Raiden
Yes most definitely go.

The road trip is worth it and you have to go to the ED petrol station for a bratwurst and a coffee, then sit and chill watching the supercars come and go.

The wife and i have been a number of times to the Nurburgring. The first time was in a classic mini then an Audi TTS, a TT roadster and an A5. We did just the one lap in each car so we could get the famous sticker for the car. We didn't push it, just took it steady and when we took the TTS i even managed to overtake a 911.

I want to go back again.

Reactions: Ghost
The first thing you will discover after about 3 minutes on the ring is that you are not as good a driver as you thought you were. You will be nailing the braking zone and perfectly clipping the apex mentally and physically on the limit and a Suzuki Swift hammers past you and disappears into the distance followed very closely by several other hatchbacks driving on a limit you can only dream of.
You may be tempted to try and keep up with them, but people running out of talent at the ring is a very common occurrence and a few meters of armco and a lift off the circuit by Mr Bongard will eat a lot more than your £1k budget.

Go, enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere, perv over the cars, definitely visit the Pistenklause for a steak on a rock, but take it for what it is. And that is a toll road full of fast drivers where you are not insured.

Reactions: bennyball, leshkin, ScottishA4B9 and 2 others
The first thing you will discover after about 3 minutes on the ring is that you are not as good a driver as you thought you were. You will be nailing the braking zone and perfectly clipping the apex mentally and physically on the limit and a Suzuki Swift hammers past you and disappears into the distance followed very closely by several other hatchbacks driving on a limit you can only dream of.
You may be tempted to try and keep up with them, but people running out of talent at the ring is a very common occurrence and a few meters of armco and a lift off the circuit by Mr Bongard will eat a lot more than your £1k budget.

Go, enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere, perv over the cars, definitely visit the Pistenklause for a steak on a rock, but take it for what it is. And that is a toll road full of fast drivers where you are not insured.

I can only re-iterate what's been said above. When I went I personally only done 1 lap due to the torrential rain. So my car was never really pushed a great deal. But I personally don't think you'd need new brakes and tyres after a few laps unless you intend on trying to set lap records (which I don't suggest you do).

Just enjoy it for what it is, and be careful!

Reactions: Raiden
Have a watch of this, and unless you are certain you are this good on your first lap then keep to the right and out of everyone's way.
Take note of the speed that they pass people at and how close they are.

Reactions: jojo and bennyball
Don't worry about it. It's not as bad as people make out. Just make sure you keep any eye out around you, don't push it harder than feels safe and remember why you're there, to enjoy yourself.

No offence to people but it's an Audi A3, it's not going to be going anywhere near fast enough to go through discs, pads or tyres in a few laps.

I've only been as a passenger, but I echo what sidibear said, I was amazed at just how quick things would pass you, even those you wouldn't expect to!

No offence to people but it's an Audi A3, it's not going to be going anywhere near fast enough to go through discs, pads or tyres in a few laps.

I'm of the opinion that someone who doesn't know the track well would be more likely to wear tyres and brakes, braking harder than needed and not knowing the least aggressive line to take through a corner.

I'd certainly make sure the car is in tip top shape before you go, and personally I'd expect to replace at least brake pads and front tyres after a few laps

I went last year (just to watch). If you crash & they have to close the track to recover you/car you can be billed for all the laps lost due to the recovery !!!.

It is definitely a must. If you are a petrolhead then it is one of the things that you 'must' do!
I echo the advice above.
I did it around 8 years ago with a friend in a Vaxhall Nova GTE with a 2.0 litre engine. Scary in places, exhilarating in others! Beautiful location and there are plenty of places to watch others going around the track in all sorts of automotive erotica! The car park for those waiting to go on the track normally contains everything from a diesel Jetta to an Enzo so make sure you have your camera. You can normally offer some of the super car owners to pay for their lap if they let you jump in the passenger seat.