O2 sensor fault, reoccurring code p1176

GeorgieS3

Reaction score
So I have this fault code that has been coming back over the last 200 miles or so.
- Cars running perfectly.

Checked all lines for leaks, not smoke tested though.

Checked wiring on both sensors and seems ok (no damage). Pre cat was changed for a new genuine sensor about 2.5 years ago.

I’m stumped, would it be worth changing one if not both of them?
Or is my cat knackered?

Thanks in advance

George.

2274D592 ABEA 4EFE BEB0 99720698F1E6

Faulty lambda or CAT potentially... I assume you aren't decat then.. could also be a leak in the down pipe somewhere (flexi/gasket) drawing in air...

You can get the efficiency fault coded out which is typical for decat setups...

<tuffty/>

Noop no decat.

Checked flexi and that’s good.

How can I check the gasket? I can only just get my hand in to have a feel around. :tearsofjoy:

Thanks tuffty

George.

Normally obvious if the gasket is one enough to cause this... will be making a blowing noise... if it is the turbo gasket I would expect the fuelling trims to be a little wobbly too

<tuffty/>

So following up on this, I didn’t manage to find a leak anywhere. Also haven’t got round to changing any sensors yet as I’ve been away. Car has done around 100 miles so next to nothing all I’ve done it put some cataclean stuff in with fuel.....
But it’s gotton worse.

I went to drive to work in it the other day, got upto temp and I set off - got about 200m down the road and as soon as I came on a bit of boost it’s started miss firing and eml flashing. Limped it Home and left it and went to work in my other motor.

These where the codes I got,
3AAC32EA 68AF 45B1 8FA1 E9FC0D83BFF4

Following this I’ve swapped coil packs over to see if it’s them, checked for vac/boost leaks everywhere. Also checked at FPR and it’s getting fuel + the pump is priming. also ordered some new spark plugs as mine looked tired.

This was today and I’ve just unplugged the Maf and gone for another short run, as soon as I came on boost again it started missfiring and spluttering and actually cut out, this time the misfire was still on cylinder 1, but had also moved to cylinder 2 from 3.

5739D90D 9D35 4995 92CE DE432B0C97B4

So.... I’ve just taken the tip and surrounding pipes off, checked for leaks and there’s nothing. There is some oil in the tip though, and also at the bottom of the turbo housing itself. in terms of play in the turbo - it’s very very small, in and out and side to side.
Could the turbo seal be gone?? There’s no smoke from exhaust. And could this cause missfires?
17542A7F 803B 4C65 AA4D 97AB8B6265FA

Thanks guys - hopefully someone can shed some lights.