OBD Port disable by removing fuses

gjjr

Reaction score
Ive seen a few other threads/posts on here about disabling the OBD by simply removing 2 fuses, but these are all for the prefacelift S3 not the post 2016 8V.

Can anyone tell me which fuses need removing from the S3 8V please? (PM so not to make the info public)

Attachments

• audi-a3-8v-2012-2018-fuse-box-interior-fuse-assignment-ea4f8.png
    audi-a3-8v-2012-2018-fuse-box-interior-fuse-assignment-ea4f8.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 303
Go on eBay, buy an OBD extension cable, pop the port out and connect to the cable, wrap it and tuck it away, locate the other end else where in the vehicle.

Is that easier/better than removing the fuses? Can it just be put back into place for servicing?

Is that easier/better than removing the fuses? Can it just be put back into place for servicing?
100%

I would not put it back for servicing, I would just tell them where the port is, or pull it out and leave in the footwell.

Just read this on the website of a company who sell OBD port immobilisation. Maybe a little bias as theyre trying to sell something BUT it does all make sense.

Moving the OBD port seems like a good idea at first due to the amount of car thieves knowing the location for each vehicle. and car forums suggest this as the cheapest method to stop your car getting stolen. Sadly this is not the case the OBD port normally has a very restricted harness length ( around 4-5 inches ) meaning if you do remove the port and plug in an extension lead to relocate it the thieves will still know the original port won't be far from the original location point.

This method is common on the Ford ST owners forum, sadly this has caused more problems than it has solved, when taking the vehicle into Ford's for diagnostics or a software upgrade they will refuse to work on the vehicle, if the OBD port is not in it's original location fully working. This is understandable due to some people modifying the looms so the live and negative are round the wrong way in hope it will damage a key cloning OBD machine.

Just read this on the website of a company who sell OBD port immobilisation. Maybe a little bias as theyre trying to sell something BUT it does all make sense.

Moving the OBD port seems like a good idea at first due to the amount of car thieves knowing the location for each vehicle. and car forums suggest this as the cheapest method to stop your car getting stolen. Sadly this is not the case the OBD port normally has a very restricted harness length ( around 4-5 inches ) meaning if you do remove the port and plug in an extension lead to relocate it the thieves will still know the original port won't be far from the original location point.

This method is common on the Ford ST owners forum, sadly this has caused more problems than it has solved, when taking the vehicle into Ford's for diagnostics or a software upgrade they will refuse to work on the vehicle, if the OBD port is not in it's original location fully working. This is understandable due to some people modifying the looms so the live and negative are round the wrong way in hope it will damage a key cloning OBD machine.
Tape it up and tuck it away after connecting the extension. No car thief is gonna spend the time trying to sort out and unpick the wiring while risking getting caught, unless they are specifically targeting your vehicle for a reason... and if that’s the case then nothing will stop them.

another idea, buy said extension cable and cut it in two, cross over the wiring and then re-pin your obd port to match meaning that unless you connect the extension between the car and your diagnostic tool you are unable to talk to the car.

another idea, connect an on / off switch to the 12v of the port and run / locate someone in the car creating a kill switch for the port.

any scumbag who is good at their “job” would come armed with fuses, and various other helpful items.

Ok cool, and what about the bit regarding servicing?

"adly this has caused more problems than it has solved, when taking the vehicle into Ford's for diagnostics or a software upgrade they will refuse to work on the vehicle, if the OBD port is not in it's original location fully working"

Ok cool, and what about the bit regarding servicing?

"adly this has caused more problems than it has solved, when taking the vehicle into Ford's for diagnostics or a software upgrade they will refuse to work on the vehicle, if the OBD port is not in it's original location fully working"
rubbish, that’s like saying “we ain’t touching your car because it has a sigma or Clifford alarm system on it”.

Could you explain this again, it sounds appealing but im a bit confused about what you mean exactly...

another idea, buy said extension cable and cut it in two, cross over the wiring and then re-pin your obd port to match meaning that unless you connect the extension between the car and your diagnostic tool you are unable to talk to the car.

Could you explain this again, it sounds appealing but im a bit confused about what you mean exactly...

The idea is to move the connections around in the vehicles obd port so if a tool was plugged in there would be no comms. In order to be able to talk you would need to connect a “converter” cable between the tool and the car to “move” the connections back again, ie your customised extension lead.

ok gotcha thanks, one last question is it even worth doing any of this with a physical key? are they going around cutting keys that fit your ignition and then coming back and cloning a key?

ok gotcha thanks, one last question is it even worth doing any of this with a physical key? are they going around cutting keys that fit your ignition and then coming back and cloning a key?
I would look for some basic form of protection yes. I don’t have keyless myself but I have a relocated port and a steering lock.

Thieving Scumbags have a fair few tricks and tools they can use these days but it’s all about deterring the opportunist to be honest because those who specifically want your car will get it, lift it, Break in to your house and beat you up for it.

Anything out of the ordinary will most likely cause someone to walk away without trying which is why a relocated port (granted they need entry to discover this) different company alarm stickers, changing to red alarm led to blue etc etc do a good job.

yeh tbh it cant hurt can it...what sticker/s do you find most effective?

A steering lock is your best defence, they are ugly and bulky but do the job. The concern with moving or modifying the OBD port, you run into an issue if you need to access the port in the middle of the night in some remote *** part of the country. You can purchase an OBD cap and put in a small screw and done.

Example of a cover:

Amazon product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why would you need to access the diagnostics port out of interest? surely only for servicing/MOT unless you want to plug in and mess with the ECU?

Sorry to intrude on your communication, but I would like to ask why are you disabling ABS? In my opinion, this is a very convenient feature that has helped me more than once when driving. Perhaps you are fond of racing/drifting or something else? Then everything becomes clear. I had the exact opposite problem-I couldn't turn on the ABS. I had to order a diagnostic device from the site https://thinkdiag.co.uk in order to understand what the essence of the problem is. In fact, it was much easier than I thought. Thank you in advance for your reply, I will be waiting!

A blown fuse is what I use.
Is that applicable for the 2016 S3?

I had a quick look through the manual and unless I misunderstood it looked to me like the fuse powering the port also covers other power supplies.

I moved my OBD port on my old Fiesta ST and replaced it with a dummy.

Totally forgot I had done so :whistle2:. Took my car for a service and they were unable to connect to the car, nor find the original. This ended up being a wasted trip to the dealers, having to re-book for another day.

But at least it works!