OBD Port Security

Lots of manufacturers use "expert thieves" to test their car security. They have been doing that for years, even on BBC's Watchdog.:racer:

Trouble is we never think like a thief because we have morals and respect.
I know people who have had motorcycles stolen by dragging it over the roof of the car that's blocking it in or smashing down the blockwork wall of the garage or going in through the roof of the garage. No normal respectable person would go to those levels to test their security :(

Reactions: DeanoC
Easiest way around that protector is to just pick up the canbus wires elsewhere in the vehicle. its that simple.
From the "portector" FAQ...............
What happens if a thief bypasses Portector?
Portector has undergone extensive testing including professional over wiring (whereby a thief picks up the supply elsewhere on the vehicle and bypasses a device), and passed everyone.
The industry standard is a 5 minute professional attack test for category 1 alarm/immobilisers, Category 5/6 tracking devices. Portector withstood in excess of 9 minutes of professional attack test before the test was stopped. At this point the system had not been defeated.

Reactions: Fctaff
Depending on when the final unit is fitted for testing, I'm hoping January.

I am working with security experts, so have a good understanding on the issues. I have to be so careful to what I say as to not give any tips.

Talking to the manufacturers and watching the fitting process is an eye opener. I ask a million questions. "What stops the doing this, why can they just not do that. " You understand their thinking and the time taken to work round potential workrounds.

As for one of the tests, took the car to several garages saying there was a intermittent rough running issue. Leave the car and see if they can read fault codes. This was done with a breakdown service, two auto electrictions and two garages. All failed.
I look forward to reading it. I got a subscription for xmas

Off topic but I got issue 19 as a back copy and the piece on the V8s 'last of its kind' states the B7 RS4 engine was used in the B8 RS4 and RS5. The newer CFSA in those is completely different to the B7 / R8 BNS / BYH lumps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

First off, good move getting a subscription. Early delivery, free post and half list price.

Can not blame me for that one, I did not write that article lol

Last edited:
From the "portector" FAQ...............
What happens if a thief bypasses Portector?
Portector has undergone extensive testing including professional over wiring (whereby a thief picks up the supply elsewhere on the vehicle and bypasses a device), and passed everyone.
The industry standard is a 5 minute professional attack test for category 1 alarm/immobilisers, Category 5/6 tracking devices. Portector withstood in excess of 9 minutes of professional attack test before the test was stopped. At this point the system had not been defeated.

Still seriously simple. Test abandoned because it took longer than the main time for alarms.... Dare bet a competant thief could easily get 9minutes or even 5 minutes to pick up a second set of canbus wires. All they need to do is find somewhere like the radio or heater controls, make up a dummy loom and plug that in when they want to steal a motor.

I'm no kind of expert but nine minutes sounds like a long time to be trying to steal a car.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Just knock up a dummy loom !

These guys are acustomed to plugging in a box bought off the internet and pushing a button. Then plugging in a key.

I also think the guy they used to do the test at thatcham was probably pretty handy, can not see that dragging a guy in off the street

Reactions: xpoweruk and Zafi
These guys are acustomed to plugging in a box bought off the internet and pushing a button. Then plugging in a key.

Exactly. They are just scrotes after a quick profit, not key players, not skilled auto electricians.
If the technique that they have been told to follow does not work, they move off sharpish, then find another car.

So pulling the fuse is all that's required. Their process fails, they leave your car. OK, it has a broken drivers door window, but all your stuff is still in the glove box and the boot. Autoglass sort the window and you are back to normal.

This is what im trying to say. There is always means and methods to pinch a car and paying £400 for a box to do the same thing as pulling a fuse is silly.

However, if you have really desirable car....and theres methods in place to protect it...next easiest way is to just simply car jack you.

I have 12 vehicles, all with trackers. Some are expensive (£14/month) with access via a portal for live tracking. Others are simple PAYG SIMS with auto top-up, cost maybe £10 a year due to test calls to keep the network happy.
The main reason is so I can find the vehicle if it gets stolen, most get parked in a street miles away for a couple of days, so I will go and get it back. If it looks like it's in a back street unit then a different plan will come into play.
Sadly the 2 vehicles I had stolen recently did not have active trackers (one had an expired contract on it's tracker) so they have gone forever.... one was not insured as it was a project, but still stolen as it was rather desirable. The insured one was in every day use and had keys inside to several properties. This alone is enough to make it worthwhile stopping the theft or finding the vehicle shortly after theft.

So pull your fuses chaps!

Tracker is the best option. Still need to get a PAYG sim but looking for a decent kit

With GAP insurance there would be a part of me who wouldn't want it back

Reactions: Geoff A
I suspect the pulling the fuses is common knolege now to all. A quick read of any discussion on this topic will give this away. There is no way I would put my trust in this method.

****** hard to put the fuse back without ripping a deadlocked door off though

I might even put a sticker on my drivers door window saying "OBD port fuses removed" ;)

I might even put a sticker on my drivers door window saying "OBD port fuses removed" ;)
I did this Zafi but the one I made looked naff. Need to make a black sticker with white writing

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I do have a sign that details the **** they will go through with the car and how if they decide to come in the house for the keys then it's all fair game.

I have told you deadlocked door is a joke, I'll unlock it in ten seconds.

No one is making you buy anything, if you think it's safe and secure that's fine.

You also forget the times you give your keys over, airport parking. Car cleaners, garages, tyre fitters and numerous others. Is it deadlocked then ?

TBH, handing your keys away, even the best security aint going to help.

Well if you give your car over to a valet, garage, airport etc, then they have a set of your keys in their hand to start the car. Nothing to say they arent legit business, wait til you gone home whilst repairs or are on a plane out the country...and they have your car.

I'm looking into the ghost immobiliser,supposed to be one of the best on the market but looking for a local supplier as they are based down south and I'm up in Yorkshire lol

I'm looking into the ghost immobiliser,supposed to be one of the best on the market but looking for a local supplier as they are based down south and I'm up in Yorkshire lol
Im in hull but in and out of yorks often. Feel free to get in touch if you want any more info or to arrange installation.

Reactions: St53daw
TBH, handing your keys away, even the best security aint going to help.
With the systems like the autowatch ghost, a PIN is still needed to start the car even if you have the keys.
Having said that, it's too much of an inconvenience to me personally to have to enter a PIN or swipe a card every time I want to start my car, even to just pull it forward into the garage for example. It's bad enough having to press the clutch down!
I've gone for the OBD lock as it's cost effective, much less inconvenient and the OBD Port is relocated so that there is just a hole where the blaggard wants to plug his gadget in. However if somebody clones my key (whilst in their possession) I'm stuffed!

Well if you give your car over to a valet, garage, airport etc, then they have a set of your keys in their hand to start the car. Nothing to say they arent legit business, wait til you gone home whilst repairs or are on a plane out the country...and they have your car.
Again, the ghost system has a valet mode, it's a temporary PIN. Car cannot be driven over 37mph or it deletes that PIN, I believe. Plus you know who you have given the temporary PIN to (and so does he).
Personally, I have no need to give anybody my key.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Yes Chris they have your keys, your pulled fuse is now worthless, they pop a fuse in acess your port, program a key and steal your car next month.

What are the aerial ports for?

The unit is fully self contained, but you have the option of burying it deep inside the car which can cause loss of signal, so they provide an external GPS and GSM antenna to ensure you have optimal signal regardless of where you locate the device.

Set up (like most of these SIM driven GPS devices) is a real PITA, however l found a smartphone app which makes it really easy to use, and interrogate the unit.

There are a few generic apps available for Android and IOS. The TK104 is a popular GPS engine.

The unit has a built in battery, which will last about 30 days depending on mode of use, or you can hardware it.

Yes Chris they have your keys, your pulled fuse is now worthless, they pop a fuse in acess your port, program a key and steal your car next month.
Or they just steal your car there and then?

And how do they explain that to the boss rofl !

Ghost wins hands down IMO as it has no fob

Reactions: Geoff A and St53daw