OBD Port Security

PenttisHSR

Reaction score
As I understand it, a maximum of three keys/fobs can be programmed to the car.
Therefore, if I have in my possession 3 working keys/fobs then it can not be possible for "somebody else" to programme a fourth key by any means, with which to start my car and drive it away.
Is this correct?

I don't know for sure but suspect it will be something along the lines of "up to three keys at any one time". Should a thief try and reprogram another key, the first ever key would become invalid. They reprogram another, and the second ever key stops working etc etc.

Otherwise, if you lost one of the two keys you got when the car is new, and programmed a third then you couldn't get any more programmed if you were unfortunate enough to lose another/both keys remaining.

I like you thinking though!

If you're that worries about ODB port security the best thing you can do is pull the fuses. I did it months ago and I've zero faults with the car. Everything works as i should and even if a thief carries spare fuses, they can't get to the fuse box because the passenger door will be deadlocked.

Reactions: voorhees and feva
I thought thieves coded a key as a copy of a current key.

I done a few simple things:

1) moved the OBD port to the side

2) set the alarm to zero delay

3) remove the spare key in the glove box

4) i hide the keys in an RF shielded wallet to stop sniffers or repeaters working

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: A4 geordie
As I understand it, a maximum of three keys/fobs can be programmed to the car.
Therefore, if I have in my possession 3 working keys/fobs then it can not be possible for "somebody else" to programme a fourth key by any means, with which to start my car and drive it away.
Is this correct?

Upto 8 keys can be programmed.
Clones of exsisting keys will not show as programmed. i could potentially have 10 clone keys for your car.

I thought thieves coded a key as a copy of a current key.

I done a few simple things:

1) moved the OBD port to the side

2) set the alarm to zero delay

3) remove the spare key in the glove box

4) i hide the keys in an RF shielded wallet to stop sniffers or repeaters working

Moving obd port is a v good and imo one of the most effective ways to prevent obd theft. however what about keys stolen in a robbery? i shortly plan on installing a can based immo from autowatch that is undetectable to the thief and wont allow the car to be stolen even with the keys.

I became a dealer recently but testing the product myself before i sell it.

Reactions: LukeyC and xpoweruk
I'm looking into this right now, full write up in Performance Audi magazine very soon.

I have learnt a lot in researching this article. It will not make pretty reading but you all need to see it. I can not stress enough you need to take this subject seriously.

Reactions: TechNick and xpoweruk
Well on this topic, so far, I've fitted a lock/blocker to the OBD2 port, have a safe in the house bolted to the floor and keep the S4 keys in there, and use a DiscLock when away from home - oh and always park the S4 in the garage out of sight when it is not being used.

Reactions: Fctaff
Airport parking, valeters, garages anywhere you leave your car and keys. It's also in danger.

I've fitted quite a few Autowatch CAN units and they are excellent. Certainly one of my primary recommendations if I'm ever asked about security on modern vehicles.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Airport parking, valeters, garages anywhere you leave your car and keys. It's also in danger.

I think if you've reached this level of paranoia about your car security, then frankly you own the wrong car. You should buy a 5 year old Ford Fiesta :sadlike:

My S7 is a "nice car" (as far as lm concerned) and it has a level of security that lm satisfied with, and that allows me to drive and enjoy it, and not be worried where l park it - and that includes airport parking, valeters, garages and public car parks etc.

Yes, there is always the risk that someone may target it for theft, or equally may scrape it while it's in a car park, or, god forbid, collide with it while it's being driven. But my point is this, buy whatever car you want, put whatever additional security you feel is needed onto it, but most of all ENJOY it. If you get paranoid about becoming a theft statistic, then simply put, you will never enjoy owning it.

To those who have lost cars through theft, l feel your pain, anger and outrage. Just ensure you have valid insurance.

:racer:

Reactions: Chop. and feva
I'm not paranoid at all, mine is perfectly secure now.

The research I'm doing is for an article and for the benefit of all. If people choose to add additional security will be up to them but I will lay out the issues and the options for protection.

For far less then what your insurance will rise you could protect it.

From my experience (had a old mk2 golf that the theives couldn't steal because the battery was dead) if they can't steal it they'll just cause a whole load of damage instead, you're going to lose out either way.

They couldn't steal my car so they stuck their screwdriver through my clocks, smashed the windscreen, and dont think there was a pannel left without a giant scrape on it.

Well my comments about having a home safe and bolting it to the floor, also covers protection against losing other things like passports, marriage certs, birth certs and external data storage devices, as well as any maybe foreign currency you have lying around, and obviously high value jewelry if you have any.

Friends of ours left both cars at home and went on holiday with their camper van - house was broken into, car keys located and cars taken! Both cars were quickly used to trap a taxi or two and they used the wrecking bars (used to get into the house) to force the taxis open and grab the cash! Insurance company taking far too long due to the taking of the cars using the car keys, also they had a "two car" policy with meant only one car supplied for a short time after finally accepting that these cars were stolen - I think that they will pick their next insurer very carefully next time. Two months on parking authorities and police still contacting them about the wife's old Golf which has been located and is collecting parking tickets and now being threatened with them having to pay to get it back - each time they ask why that car is not tagged as being stolen and that they no longer own it - each time the police etc can't give a proper answer - strange!

So, if your car is stolen, it might not be as easy as you think to sort things out as the police seem to see this as being the low priority part of a bigger problem, and most cars just never surface again so no point in police wasting time looking for them. For the record the cars were a 8 year old Golf TDI and a 3 year old Audi A6 TDI Avant with galactic mileage, no sighting of the A6 yet.

Edit:- I do suffer more than a bit from protecting my S4 - though mostly that includes using our available cars wisely, so for short journeys and inner city parking I'd pick our smaller cars.

So, I was rather naïve. The car's handbook is a little misleading.
Seems like the Internet is awash with this problem.
Like the fuse removal idea as doors still locked (can't get to fuses to replace).
But personally, rather than do nothing, I'm going to take a relatively cheap and agricultural method of removing the OBD and locking it in a steel box.
Link here..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322344734812?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
After blaggard breaks side window, sees OBD port missing, rips trim off, realises its in a steel box and hadn't brought a hammer and chisel, scarpers!
OR .. am I still being naïve?

read the mag issue after next, all this has been covered with pros and cons.

I've always considered that you don't want to harass a nasty person once they have targeted your car and got inside it, so that is where the DiscLock hopefully works, the casual nasty person sees that before he/she has wasted any effort/time and moves on the next suitable car.

Just a bit like a house breaker, sees houses with visible protection, moves on to a safer looking one as they want to minimise problems/risk?

Edit:- always remember it is your property that you are trying to retain for your use, most of us are not on a crusade to waste thieving gits time for a laugh - then end up being left with a pile of scrap!

Reactions: DeanoC
Trouble is then you have a massive deadly lump of steel flying round your car in a crash.

Speaking from experience I would leave the car keys in a easy to find place. When 3 men break into your house and come looking for the keys, you want them to stay downstairs away from your family! Cars are replaceable, but family aren't!

Reactions: DeanoC, feva, Lavis89 and 1 other person
Just install an Autowatch Ghost unit and they can have 20 keys and make love to the OBD port with every type of method known to man and they'll still never get it started.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Reactions: St53daw, spartacus68 and xpoweruk
Even the box is a pointless idea as anyone determined enough would just find another canbus wire to tap into elsewhere in the car.

As for breaking into the house and having the keys.....they more than welcome to them. Rather the car goes than someone getting hurt by armed robbers.

My nephew was disturbed by 2 blokes in his bedroom looking for the keys to his RS4. They had already found the keys for his wife's TT in the kitchen and tried them outside, discovered they unlocked the TT and threw them on the lawn before returning to find the Audi keys they were after.

My keys are kept in a drawer right next to the front door.

House security is what will really put people off if they are going to give getting the keys a go.

Deadlocks are useless btw, as I have said read the article in Performance Audi. It may save your car.

So, going by a couple of postings, the best plan is to leave the keys in the car especially if it is parked outside your house, I can't help but think that my insurer would ignore any claims from me if I tried that?

Because deadlocks can be opened very quickly and easy.

Who mentioned leaving the keys in the car?

Right, well lets be logical about this:- owning an S4 means that it will get targeted for taking, parking outside your house means thieves know where the keys should be - this means that you have made a break in to your house very probable - so make life easier and leave the keys visible in the car! S4's do still make the top 10 in cars people would like to steal, according to one of these tracker companies. I am only going by a couple of postings, not my idea!

read the mag issue after next, all this has been covered with pros and cons.

This all sounds good but by the time your piece is published, we could all be staring at empty driveways...... Perhaps you could PM me with the salient points, given the useful info you're currently sitting on?

This is supposed to be a forum where enthusiasts share ideas, not a way of self promotion or commercial exploitation...... unless of course one is a forum sponsor ;)

Reactions: feva and Geoff A
It's not a two minute thing these tests, I have asked for some expert advice in the continuing tests. The most anything would be delayed by the magazine would be a week or two. I still have one unit to test.

This issue is so important it needs to reach as many people as possible, the magazine is a means to that end.

Reactions: Peter Metcalf
Easiest way around that protector is to just pick up the canbus wires elsewhere in the vehicle. its that simple.

I can see how you can run a test on say exhausts or intakes and you can give an opinion on sound etc but how do you run a test on security equipment? Do you know an expert thief who will try and take your car while the device is fitted?

I can see how you can run a test on say exhausts or intakes and you can give an opinion on sound etc but how do you run a test on security equipment? Do you know an expert thief who will try and take your car while the device is fitted?

Lots of manufacturers use "expert thieves" to test their car security. They have been doing that for years, even on BBC's Watchdog.

:racer:

Easiest way around that protector is to just pick up the canbus wires elsewhere in the vehicle. its that simple.

Actually it's not that simple really.

All the defeat devices (that I'm aware of. - and I'm not an expert) are run from the OBDII port on the car.

In a TWOC scenario, the thieves are hardly going to have time to start removing dash panels, or work under the hood (usually in the dark) to find, cut the CANbus and splice-in a defeat device. Time is the enemy for any thief. The want a quick in-faster out situation. Anything you can do to disrupt their quick in-out plan is in your favour, not theirs.

Just bare in mind that the OBDII protector is one element of an overall security solution. It won't do jack, if they have your keys.

@Fctaff, do you know which issue your feature is likely to run in?

Reactions: Fctaff, Geoff A and DeanoC
Depending on when the final unit is fitted for testing, I'm hoping January.

I am working with security experts, so have a good understanding on the issues. I have to be so careful to what I say as to not give any tips.

Talking to the manufacturers and watching the fitting process is an eye opener. I ask a million questions. "What stops the doing this, why can they just not do that. " You understand their thinking and the time taken to work round potential workrounds.

As for one of the tests, took the car to several garages saying there was a intermittent rough running issue. Leave the car and see if they can read fault codes. This was done with a breakdown service, two auto electrictions and two garages. All failed.

Reactions: DeanoC
It's not a two minute thing these tests, I have asked for some expert advice in the continuing tests. The most anything would be delayed by the magazine would be a week or two. I still have one unit to test.

This issue is so important it needs to reach as many people as possible, the magazine is a means to that end.
So after the mag goes to print you are going to tell us?

Reactions: Geoff A