OBD Software

Fluffmeister AU

Reaction score
There is tons of OBD monitoring software like Torque and Dashcommand which are so simple and give great info.

Curious as to what others use with their vehicles and how they do it

I've got an old IPAD I'm considering setting up on a permanent mount for it, but what I'm really curious about is if anyone has a smart way to take over the existing MMI screen (I saw someone play video form their phone on it through a cryptic HDMI -> RCA conversion) but I think they have VIM enabled as a pre req

I use torque pro on my S7 Edge with an OBD 2 bluetooth dongle. I used it for monitoring Air fuel ratio, timing, EGT and short term fuel trims sometimes. Mainly as I use a JB1 piggyback so want to monitor things to make sure the car isn't running lean, pulling timing etc.

Oh and I almost forgot, 0 - 60, 0 - 100, 1/4 mile timing (good for comparing maps, boost profiles etc)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Fiddie
Many of this info should be shown on MMI screen. Audi dont care about this things. Im very annoyed with the car. I expected a little more of soul on a Audi S car.

Many of this info should be shown on MMI screen. Audi dont care about this things. Im very annoyed with the car. I expected a little more of soul on a Audi S car.
Audi are a mass producers of cars. They provide what their average customer wants. They are not interested in people who want to 'fiddle' with their cars and in general make it as difficult as possible for people to do this to make sure the car remains within it's Type Approval.

Audi are a mass producers of cars. They provide what their average customer wants. They are not interested in people who want to 'fiddle' with their cars and in general make it as difficult as possible for people to do this to make sure the car remains within it's Type Approval.
Most BMW M cars have it, the golf shows some data on it and the seat leon cupra even has it. Its surprising as the golf and leon are on the same platform and have the same infotainment module just different software. I think most people want some type of performance data to be shown in an S/RS car. I had to activate oil temperature gauge in my s3 which should be standard as there is no other way to see if the engine is up to temperature

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Fiddie
I use torque pro on my S7 Edge with an OBD 2 bluetooth dongle. I used it for monitoring Air fuel ratio, timing, EGT and short term fuel trims sometimes. Mainly as I use a JB1 piggyback so want to monitor things to make sure the car isn't running lean, pulling timing etc.

Oh and I almost forgot, 0 - 60, 0 - 100, 1/4 mile timing (good for comparing maps, boost profiles etc)

which bluetooth dongle u got as most of the Chinese bluetooth dongle doesnt work

A cheap one I bought off Amazon lol

the one you've linked above, how do you find it?

I'm tempted to get one myself seeing as its a cheap item, if it works, there isn't much to lose.

going by the ones the app recommends, you're looking at £100-£300 quid, SAY WAA!

Last edited:
well, I've bought a bluetooth adaptor, £19 including next day / saturday deliver which was 9 quid in itself and download torque pro - £2.95. good stuff.

so ill write up a review and how to tomorrow once I've had a play with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68 and Salik Sajid
Most BMW M cars have it, the golf shows some data on it and the seat leon cupra even has it. Its surprising as the golf and leon are on the same platform and have the same infotainment module just different software. I think most people want some type of performance data to be shown in an S/RS car. I had to activate oil temperature gauge in my s3 which should be standard as there is no other way to see if the engine is up to temperature

and many other 'performance models' such as the RS Clios & Meganes, WRXs, HSV Commodore all have information screens available including telemetry.... as apps like Torque prove all the information is there it's just a matter of displaying it.

and many other 'performance models' such as the RS Clios & Meganes, WRXs, HSV Commodore all have information screens available including telemetry.... as apps like Torque prove all the information is there it's just a matter of displaying it.

i heard there's hidden features in the MMI screen, just have to do coding thru vcds to activate it like oil temp on DIS

Reactions: Fiddie
Be interested in seeing more info on this

Curious to know exactly what Bluetooth / Wifi OBD 11 dongles people r using - with a cheeky link pls as Amazon / Ebay is a minefield.

Also on the App front to link with IOS Apple phone etc

Many thx
Jungle

Curious to know exactly what Bluetooth / Wifi OBD 11 dongles people r using - with a cheeky link pls as Amazon / Ebay is a minefield.

Many thx
Jungle
Chinese bluetooth dongle like elm329, mini elm327, obd2world obd scan, vgate obd scan and scantool

Many thx
Jungle

I'm using the torque pro app with
Iegeek wifi obd2 dongle.

It won't let me link it on my phone.

Luckily it was cheap...it's alright but nothing great.
The max hp part is telling me I'm making 400hp so it could be relatively close.
It says no fault codes but I have the valves open so I think there are faults stored.
It can show data for every sensor, which is good. I've heard that people are logging a lambda of upto 4! With a dtuk box, but mine is showing that it runs bang on, sometimes it goes up to 1.7 but briefly, so I'm not complaining.
It does 0to60
And any other variation.

It's a worth while 10 quid gimmik, but I'll probably never use it again. It clears codes in the other cars. So I know it works.

I'll just get vcds and stick to that.
Seeing as it shows the same data and you can log runs on it too.

Check the measure lambda and run it as a graph and give it some. You'll see why people moan about the dtuk running lean.

What weight did you enter to get 400hp, remember that is wheel horsepower not fly

Edit : It is Air Fuel Ratio (Measured)

1.7 must be on deceleration? It's 25:1 air fuel ratio

Yes on deceleration.
For the 400hp I put in 2 tonne.
Vehicle weight, half tank and 2 people on Weigh bridge. It clearly needs some changes.

Ignore deceleration, it cuts the fuel. It's at WOT in 3rd plus you to play attention to

Reactions: RO65ERS
Yes on deceleration.
Vehicle weight, half tank and 2 people on Weigh bridge. It clearly needs some changes.
The car weighted 2000kg with 2 people in? I just used 1600kg as a guess on got 288 which sounds about right for whp

Ignore deceleration, it cuts the fuel. It's at WOT in 3rd plus you to play attention to

I'll check it out on graph on a run later.
Depending on what dial you use, there is a hp and a wheel hp, I assume they measure it differently.

You can log the air fuel, with say RPM and EGT. Just make sure you change the interval to 0.1sec from the default 1 second.

Yes on deceleration.
The actual kerb weight of S3 sedan is around 1540-1560kg, 2 tonne is Audi rs7....tht weigh bridge might be for heavy vehicle like truck, containers etc etc

:racer::racer:
I'm using the torque pro app with
Iegeek wifi obd2 dongle.

It won't let me link it on my phone.

Luckily it was cheap...it's alright but nothing great.
The max hp part is telling me I'm making 400hp so it could be relatively close.
It says no fault codes but I have the valves open so I think there are faults stored.
It can show data for every sensor, which is good. I've heard that people are logging a lambda of upto 4! With a dtuk box, but mine is showing that it runs bang on, sometimes it goes up to 1.7 but briefly, so I'm not complaining.
It does 0to60
And any other variation.

It's a worth while 10 quid gimmik, but I'll probably never use it again. It clears codes in the other cars. So I know it works.

I'll just get vcds and stick to that.
Seeing as it shows the same data and you can log runs on it too.

Thx guys....

I already have VCDS but dont want to use that for on the fly data as cant hold the laptop and drive with wires everywhere :racer:

How do u log acceleration runs using VCDS anyway?

I have plumped for Wifi dongle here Based on the ELM 327 module for just under £10. If it doesnt work its not the end of the world.

Will then try and hook it up to one of the IOS apps such as Dashcommand or something similar, unless anyone has any other IOS Apple Store favs ? :footy:

:racer::racer:

Thx guys....

I already have VCDS but dont want to use that for on the fly data as cant hold the laptop and drive with wires everywhere :racer:

How do u log acceleration runs using VCDS anyway?

I have plumped for Wifi dongle here Based on the ELM 327 module for just under £10. If it doesnt work its not the end of the world.

Will then try and hook it up to one of the IOS apps such as Dashcommand or something similar, unless anyone has any other IOS Apple Store favs ? :footy:

Can confirm that this OBD 2 module above based on the ELM327 works fine with IOS phone/ Ipad and Dashcommand app. Word of warning though- tape up the lights on the unit as they light the inside of the car up like a christmas tree at night !!

Jungle