Odd front brake pad wear

norad97

Reaction score
So I had the car MOT and all is well, but I was pointed out that the pads on the front disks on the inside
are only touching on the outer part of the pads, the middle is not touching.
The pads on the outside are working fine and the disk is shiny.

Disks are MTec
Pads are Hawk HPS

So I had the car MOT and all is well, but I was pointed out that the pads on the front disks on the inside
are only touching on the outer part of the pads, the middle is not touching.
The pads on the outside are working fine and the disk is shiny.

Disks are MTec
Pads are Hawk HPS

Oh so typical: maybe 1 in 100 even look at the inside face of the brake disc.

Outside disc-face looks good then so must the inside face, duh! If only.

That is strange, possible you could’ve warped the backing material for the pad with excess heat if it was misaligned - check the sliding guide pins for wear in the callipers.

I was told that the back of the disk is slightly concave in the middle, that's why the pads are only wear on the outside.
The disks and pads are still good and plenty left on them.
I will have to check them when the weather breaks and do a service on them.

I'd remove each side and then put a known flat and true edge across each side of each disc to see if the disc is warped or weather it is just specific to one side.
As the oem caliper is a single piston unit it is unlikely to be the source as it will be pushing on the centre of the pad and the sliders will be moving either side.
Maybe the one of the sliders is sticking and causing uneven pressure on the pad , best plan would be to check the operation of the caliper aswell .

Yes I will, they were all fitted new buy the previous owner in 2012.
They we fitted at 51,000 and now I'm at 79,800 but they don't show much wear, the problem is I think those Hawk pads need to be
driven and used, they just not getting stamped on as they should.
What pads do you have fitted?

I have the big Brembo's Richard , 6 pot's so the pads are completely different.
When I was using the oem setup I had EBC , not sure which flavour but they were very good with low dust.

Well we will see when I check them out, I want to paint my calipers as well but cannot decide on a colour,
as you no my wheels are painted anthracite and the car is Avus Silver.

These were my previous pads.

Pad1

So I finally removed disks and pads and this is what I found.
I fitted New Mtec black disks and pads, Rob the DP1495 pads are no longer listed for our cars, but I bought a set, the pads fit but the
wear connector was wrong, so I got my son to cut off the wire from the old pads and solder to the new.
All seems good now, don't really no why the old pads were like that, may be heat of pads and disks don't like each other.
20200706 093800
20200706 093828