Odd Heater Behaviour

suzannec

Reaction score
Car came back from a service this week. I'd turned the heater off so clicked it back on to find that both sides were on 'hi' rather than my normal 20c. I remember it did this once before but can't remember the circumstances. Any ideas what causes this?

Not sure if I've picked this up correctly but Hi and Lo are just at the top and bottom end of the temperature number scale. If it's showing Hi, turn it down a notch and it'll go to something like 26 degrees (can't remember the exact number). Similarly, Lo is one click below 16 degrees.
Apologies if I've picked you up wrongly.

It is the top end of the scale - however, whatever temp you had set, hit the MAX switch and it goes to HI temp and turns the fan to full I think.

Yes quite right 'hi' is the highest available temperature. It is just a bit odd as nobody turned the dials to get to 'hi'. It just happened! That is the odd bit.

Maybe they turned it on and adjusted it when doing the service?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Almost next to the rear de mist switch. It has a pic of the front windscreen and the word MAX below. It’s great on cold mornings and it’s all frozen - just start up and hit the switch

Almost next to the rear de mist switch. It has a pic of the front windscreen and the word MAX below. It’s great on cold mornings and it’s all frozen - just start up and hit the switch

I'm with you - mine is labeled 'front' rather than 'max'.

I’m assuming your set up is the same as my 64 plate Sportback

My 2017 says Max as well.

By the way, the temperature is saved per key and has been like that since 8P days. My temperature regulator switch on 8P was broken so I had "winter" key (temp set to HI) and "summer" key (LO).

Ok, I was wrong. Tried it this morning as windscreen frozen. All it did was turn the fan to max (at the temp I had last set) and did not turn the temp to high.
Rideen - what do you mean by “temp is saved per key” ?

Ok, I was wrong. Tried it this morning as windscreen frozen. All it did was turn the fan to max (at the temp I had last set) and did not turn the temp to high.
I did the same thing!! haha I couldn't recreate turning the temp to high without turning the dials. Although whilst googling the answer I came across a cool tip: if I want both sides temp to be the same and only controlled by the right control (ac) you hold down auto button until it flashes. Only owned the car 5 years... LOL

Yeah Rideen - what do you mean by temp saved per key?

The key fob saves what the last temperature was set to, so if you like it set at 20 and use one key and your missus sets it at 26 and uses another key you do not have to change the setting everytime you use the car.

Reactions: Rideen
The key fob saves what the last temperature was set to, so if you like it set at 20 and use one key and your missus sets it at 26 and uses another key you do not have to change the setting everytime you use the car.

Thanks Josul - as if I’d let somebody else drive my car
Perhaps I’ll just have a summer key and a winter key........

Reactions: Audi Bairn, josul and Rideen

I did the same thing!! haha I couldn't recreate turning the temp to high without turning the dials. Although whilst googling the answer I came across a cool tip: if I want both sides temp to be the same and only controlled by the right control (ac) you hold down auto button until it flashes. Only owned the car 5 years... LOL

Yeah Rideen - what do you mean by temp saved per key?

Exactly what josul wrote. :D

Reactions: Flying Pig
That's cool.