Odd marks on bodywork - what is this??

alex350r

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My car was back in the bodyshop on Monday having the bonnet resprayed - this is an Audi approved bodyshop near Cambridge called Gladwins. When I picked it up on Monday night it was getting dark but all looked fine, I spotted a few marks that looked like oily handprints so I disregarded them and figured they would wash out. Well - sadly not! See the pic of one of them below, there are multiple like this in various places on the car - any ideas what the hell it is?? They did clean it for me so I can only imagine it's something they've used? I've tried everything I can think of to shift it other than white spirit/autoglym tar remover. As you can imagine i'm not happy and will be straight onto my contact there tomorrow!!

Photo

Cheers

ALex

Looks like something on the paint under the laquer to me but what ive no idea.Certainly get it back to them but dont mention you tried to sort it yourself,,they may attempt to blame you.........good luck and let us know how you get on.

I cant see how thats just been painted and finished as there are scratch marks all over it from it not being refined after flatting.

I cant see how thats just been painted and finished as there are scratch marks all over it from it not being refined after flatting.

Sorry I should mention that's not the bonnet - that's the boot! The marks aren't on the bonnet but everywhere else on the car. Just tried some t-cut and that worked - so they must have scratched it???

Audi approved is just a 10k fee per year afaik & all the socalled approved garages I've known of have been shxt tbh, shocking how they can even say they QC these cars before they go out the door.

Audi approved is just a 10k fee per year afaik & all the socalled approved garages I've known of have been shxt tbh, shocking how they can even say they QC these cars before they go out the door.

I see what you're saying - I really can't understand how they've done this, it's like they've managed to damage the lacquer somehow - perhaps they cleaned it with a brillo pad!

Sorry I should mention that's not the bonnet - that's the boot! The marks aren't on the bonnet but everywhere else on the car. Just tried some t-cut and that worked - so they must have scratched it???

It that case I would say its a rag with some sort of chemical (Thiners) on it thats been put down on the paintwork.

Is it on the 'tops' of panels where things could be placed rather than on a door or wing?

Any by T-Cutting you have taken a few micro layers of laquer off and removed it.