Odd question...

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
All, looking for some thoughts here... (apologies for not putting it in the TT section, but won't get a suitable answer there)

We all know that the TT/S3/R32 etc has the forged wishbones on the front. Very big, thick and expensive...

It's got a knocking from the NSF (I think) which is rotational with wheel speed and engine independent, thinking inner CV has died. The likely cause of this I suspect is the fact the the NSF wishbone is bent backwards slightly, putting the inner CV on an unusual angle.

Anyway, so need to replace the wishbone as she won't track up properly.

Now, second hand ones are hard to come by and expensive. The pressed metal ones on the MK4 Golf GTI etc are so so so much cheaper. Arguably they aren't as good I agree, however the question is, will the actually fit?

Can I buy 2 front pressed wishbones and bang them on. The only possible problem I can see is a slightly narrower inner track?

I don't want any *I wouldn't do that* replies. I don't want to, but costs are a problem.

Thoughts...

I dont think theyd fit me due to the hubs, im sire when the mk4 upgrade to our setup they have to change the hubs and possibly front dampers etc but im sure someone will confirm.

Dude, see my progress thread. You might be able to get my tqs ones...

I dont think theyd fit me due to the hubs, im sire when the mk4 upgrade to our setup they have to change the hubs and possibly front dampers etc but im sure someone will confirm.

Yes, but that's upgrading front pressed to forged - the shocks need to be changed to suit the MK4's ARB setup (as the ARB drop link normally bolts into the wishbone) - that's not the case here.

Ive been told the Mk4 golf 4motion has the pressed ones so... worth a try

Agreed. If not my mate has a MK4 GTI that needs new lower arms.... lol. I can always move them on.

Afaik the hub itself is different.

To convert TO the cast wishbones you need the hub/knuckle as well as the wishbone, and also the tie rods.

A (big) factor to consider is when you do sell the car, anyone buying it that knows the S3 would to my mind be put off by a car with the wrong wishbones on it, it would put me off for as my first thought would be its had a whallop and someones bodged the repairs. It may not be an issue for someone that did not know the S3 but is it worth the gamble of having problem selling in future.

All good points.... I ended up getting a second hand pukka wishbone... And an inner CV as well lol. ****** cars.