OEM Front Camera

Koofteh

Reaction score
Before I picked up my RS3 I was browsing around and saw that you can buy the front camera module that sits above the inside rearview mirror.

But it said it would require a windshield replacement so I forgot about it. Now I'm having to replace the windshield I thought maybe I could install that part and get some features my car is missing (high-beam assist, lane assist, traffic sign recognition).

Here's the part: https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/retr...amera-driver-assistance-systems-mqb-version-2

What do you think?

Before I picked up my RS3 I was browsing around and saw that you can buy the front camera module that sits above the inside rearview mirror.

But it said it would require a windshield replacement so I forgot about it. Now I'm having to replace the windshield I thought maybe I could install that part and get some features my car is missing (high-beam assist, lane assist, traffic sign recognition).

Here's the part: https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/retr...amera-driver-assistance-systems-mqb-version-2

What do you think?

If you are replacing the windscreen, I don't see why not once you make the necessary changes on VCDS.

What do you think?
Just so you know it's not a straight forward install. Coding can be done via vcds without issue but the camera unit itself has Component protection which will need coding via a dealership or authorised 3rd party.

Just so you know it's not a straight forward install. Coding can be done via vcds without issue but the camera unit itself has Component protection which will need coding via a dealership or authorised 3rd party.

If you were to spec high beam assist on build from Audi (thus having the front camera module already installed from factory) is it simple to code and activate the other functions of the camera or is additional hardware required to make those work?

I have high beam assist but can't tell if it works or not! Does it automatically work or do I somehow need to turn it on?

I have high beam assist but can't tell if it works or not! Does it automatically work or do I somehow need to turn it on?

You have to turn it on, push it away from you once at the start of a drive and you should get a symbol in the dash with the high beam (maybe with an A in the middle?), then just leave it do its thing. It does have to be dark before it uses it, pitch black. It's like turning on your normal high beam, but it should go into Auto instead.

You have to turn it on, push it away from you once at the start of a drive and you should get a symbol in the dash with the high beam (maybe with an A in the middle?), then just leave it do its thing. It does have to be dark before it uses it, pitch black. It's like turning on your normal high beam, but it should go into Auto instead.
Awesome, will try that!

Awesome, will try that!

I've only used it on a loan car, it's a cool feature.. made me smile, simple but amusing!
It's not instantaneous to react, but it's as quick as you taking your hand away from the wheel and reaching for the stalk. It will never be as fast if you leave your fingers resting on the stalk, didn't have anyone flash me at all.

Cool. Just been down to the car and got it working. Had to go into MMI to activate it and then push the stalk back once.

Are you referring to the 'calibration' referred to in the service manual?

I was hoping since the car is 4 days old and if the dealer stocks the part I might convince them to just calibrate it for me.

If you were to spec high beam assist on build from Audi (thus having the front camera module already installed from factory) is it simple to code and activate the other functions of the camera or is additional hardware required to make those work?

Now I'm no expert but I've spent a few hours researching this. It looks like most driver assistance features are enabled by having the R242 front camera module. If you have high beam assist then theoretically the hardware is all there? I think only ACC needs the module that mounts in the grille and also requires an extra module.

I'm really hoping I can get this done somehow, so at least something positive comes of the damage I had on the RS3.

I was hoping since the car is 4 days old and if the dealer stocks the part I might convince them to just calibrate it for me.

Now I'm no expert but I've spent a few hours researching this. It looks like most driver assistance features are enabled by having the R242 front camera module. If you have high beam assist then theoretically the hardware is all there? I think only ACC needs the module that mounts in the grille and also requires an extra module.
I'm really hoping I can get this done somehow, so at least something positive comes of the damage I had on the RS3.

I'd be interested in how you get on with 'lane assit'.

This is controlled by the windscreen camera as you say and programmable according to the Audi technical portal, but I could not get it to work. Then I realised that I had my steering wheel re-worked into a leather/lacquer rim with the renovator using a donor wheel and taking mine in exchange. I then realised this might be why the vibration did not work - the donor wheel did not have the motor in the spoke. Challenging the renovator on this, he says that the flat bottom wheels did not have the vibration device anyway. Now this I think is incorrect as lane assist is available on Rs models - unless the wheel is different for those with the feature. So please keep us posted on yours.

I'd be interested in how you get on with 'lane assit'.

This is controlled by the windscreen camera as you say and programmable according to the Audi technical portal, but I could not get it to work. Then I realised that I had my steering wheel re-worked into a leather/lacquer rim with the renovator using a donor wheel and taking mine in exchange. I then realised this might be why the vibration did not work - the donor wheel did not have the motor in the spoke. Challenging the renovator on this, he says that the flat bottom wheels did not have the vibration device anyway. Now this I think is incorrect as lane assist is available on Rs models - unless the wheel is different for those with the feature. So please keep us posted on yours.

I can recall reading about the vibrating function, but there is no mention of it in the A3 so I assumed it just didn't have it.

No. The part you are looking at retrofitting is covered via component protection, an antitheft measure. You can install it to your vehicle but you will not be able to use it until component protection is removed.

Here is a fast diagram of the sensors:
41095 3 klein

That diagram is a godsend, thank you!

So there's actually two camera modules installed in the mirror housing? That's what I see on your diagram but my searches only turned up the one camera module for MQB cars.

If I need two different cameras then I'd probably just forget about this retrofit. I would still not have ACC or full lane assist so it wouldn't be feasible in terms of price.

That diagram is a godsend, thank you!

So there's actually two camera modules installed in the mirror housing? That's what I see on your diagram but my searches only turned up the one camera module for MQB cars.

If I need two different cameras then I'd probably just forget about this retrofit. I would still not have ACC or full lane assist so it wouldn't be feasible in terms of price.
Correct. The High Beam Assist camera is mounted to the front of the claw that secures the mirror to the bonded windscreen mount / clip, which doubles up at the mount for the Rain Light and Humidity Sensor. Technically the Lane Assist camera is not actually part of the mirror assembly but its bonded to the windscreen above everything else.

Personally I would be giving this retrofit a miss. I myself am fully able to remove the component protection and then code the unit to the car but I would flat out refuse the job. Its a safety system and would need to be calibrated correctly before use and the tools needed to do this cost about the price of a used 2012 VW Polo lol Only a VAG dealership would have these and would prolly not want to get involved as they did not supply or fit the components (they would never fit something like this) and as such would not be able to guarantee its' use.

Correct. The High Beam Assist camera is mounted to the front of the claw that secures the mirror to the bonded windscreen mount / clip, which doubles up at the mount for the Rain Light and Humidity Sensor. Technically the Lane Assist camera is not actually part of the mirror assembly but its bonded to the windscreen above everything else.

Personally I would be giving this retrofit a miss. I myself am fully able to remove the component protection and then code the unit to the car but I would flat out refuse the job. Its a safety system and would need to be calibrated correctly before use and the tools needed to do this cost about the price of a used 2012 VW Polo lol Only a VAG dealership would have these and would prolly not want to get involved as they did not supply or fit the components (they would never fit something like this) and as such would not be able to guarantee its' use.

Huh, not what I wanted to hear but at least now I know it's probably not worth it. Actually definitely not worth it. Thanks.