Reaction score
So for a long time i've had my eyes on getting rid of the turbo dampener on my 3.0 TDI, but I didn't fancy spending £90 on darkside development's intake pipe, which also allows you to get rid of the turbo dampener fitted. I also didn't fancy the challenge of all the different shapes and sizes of silicone piping to make my own, so, on a whim, I looked on ebay at OEM intake pipes for these engines, and I happened to come across this.

Oem

Breather pipe connection? Check. No turbo dampener? Check. Same fitment on the turbo? Check.

I took the turbo dampener and intake pipe off, fitted this item, which cost only £16 used on ebay, and then cut my original intake pipe just as it starts to narrow in diameter after the flex piece. This was then fitted back onto my airbox, and then fed into the open end you see on the left of the used OEM piece above. This is how it turned out.

20210422 130905

20210422 130910

Now you've probably noticed an elephant in the engine bay already: the lack of sealed fitting of the two pipes between the airbox pipe and the new oem piece pipe. In fact, I shoved it down the throat of the other, but I have used a jubilee clip to close any gap until I find a short, straight piece of silicone pipe just to tidy it up and seal it up right. I know I've been talking about avoiding using silicone, but it was more the cost of trying different shapes, diameters and lengths to try and create a pipe that navigates from A to B properly. This solution is a bit more tidy from the get go, and cheaper.

Part number: 4E0 145 711