Off to have the brakes fixed

I contacted Audi UK after having new pads fitted to prevent the squeal which actually made it worse! :(

I need to get the car booked in again as I have a rather annoying rattle :( but I'm holding off on this until the break fix is out

Said it before: "A GREAT motorcar the RS3, being spoiled by incompetents, what a shame!"

Spoke to Guildford Audi and they acknowledged that the brake fix with new parts are required and have had confirmation back from Audi technical. They cannot even order the parts till the 17th May so off to pick my car up until they have the parts ready.

Car in today for complementary service (oil change) with Coulsdon Audi and to work out some little issues like rear hubs rusting, squeaks and rattles, parcel shelf bracket falling off etc. No news from either Audi UK on a firm date for the roll out of the brake squeal fix, I checked earlier.

Replacement car is Q7. Makes me realise how lucky we are to drive such an awesome machine as the RS3.

I've been clocking up the miles recently with a lot of work-related late night driving on deserted roads and have been testing out MBK's assertion (if I may) that if you drive it hard, the squeal is not there. Great fun and only been pulled over once by the Law - slapped wrist. This works fine and may have been Audi's expectation but day-to-day bundling around town in SE England doesn't have the same effect. I've also noticed how quickly the holes in the front discs get blocked up with dust and have been making a point of blasting them clean with the pressure washer (Stihl RE128 Plus - recommended!).

And so we wait, except Macdaddy, who seems to have a direct hotline to Audi!

Oh and BRAKES, not BREAKS!!

Reactions: MBK
Audi UK CS called me Tues to say the parts are ready and have been ordered! When would I like to book it in!!

When I asked what the enhancement consisted of she said they did not know!!

This is AUDI - Pathetic....

Reactions: 45bvtc
Car goes in to Audi, Monday for brake fix at last!!
Told its new callipers discs and pads ?
Will try and get some pictures of before and after !!

I've been clocking up the miles recently with a lot of work-related late night driving on deserted roads and have been testing out MBK's assertion (if I may) that if you drive it hard, the squeal is not there. Great fun and only been pulled over once by the Law - slapped wrist. This works fine and may have been Audi's expectation but day-to-day bundling around town in SE England doesn't have the same effect. I've also noticed how quickly the holes in the front discs get blocked up with dust and have been making a point of blasting them clean with the pressure washer (Stihl RE128 Plus - recommended!).

Good man, see when you try hard enough no squeal at all! It's a lot more fun doing this than waiting for Audi to actually fix what is a fairly straight forward part of the car.

Car goes in to Audi, Monday for brake fix at last!!
Told its new callipers discs and pads ?
Will try and get some pictures of before and after !!

Good for you mate! Just had my car back from Coulsdon Audi and there was no update from Audi UK apparently. Did have a Haldex software update though, designed to stop the prop problem when launching, along with the exhaust mount repair and a complementary oil service. Maybe brakes next week, or next month...

Good for you mate! Just had my car back from Coulsdon Audi and there was no update from Audi UK apparently. Did have a Haldex software update though, designed to stop the prop problem when launching, along with the exhaust mount repair and a complementary oil service. Maybe brakes next week, or next month...

You may find launch control a different and less attractive proposition now as you can only launch it from what I am told with ESP on, not off / in sport mode like it was. Have a try and see if that is true.

You may find launch control a different and less attractive proposition now as you can only launch it from what I am told with ESP on, not off / in sport mode like it was. Have a try and see if that is true.

I see, so Audi are reducing the risk of damage to the car (and financial loss of repair work under warranty) by limiting the functionality/effectiveness of launch control? I haven't had the opportunity to use launch the car, so this doesn't particularly bother me but if I did use this function, I'm not sure that I'd want the software upgrade...

Got a call last week (Wed) to say the parts had arrived to get my car fixed and to arrange to book my car in. I was just stepping out of a taxi at Athens Airport at the time about to return back to cold/wet England. So I rang back the next day, and my car is booked in this Thursday. So we will see if this makes any difference to my RS3.
If have tried monkeyboy_marcus' trick, but the problem is you have to make sure no-one is in front of you when you pull up to a junction or roundabout, or it could get kind of messy.
Audi UK said they would ring me Friday to see if the fix has been applied so they can close their call. Although, I would need the weekend to give my car a got run around to get any idea if the fix has worked.

Got a call last week (Wed) to say the parts had arrived to get my car fixed and to arrange to book my car in. I was just stepping out of a taxi at Athens Airport at the time about to return back to cold/wet England. So I rang back the next day, and my car is booked in this Thursday. So we will see if this makes any difference to my RS3.
If have tried monkeyboy_marcus' trick, but the problem is you have to make sure no-one is in front of you when you pull up to a junction or roundabout, or it could get kind of messy.
Audi UK said they would ring me Friday to see if the fix has been applied so they can close their call. Although, I would need the weekend to give my car a got run around to get any idea if the fix has worked.
You too…

Your answer must surely be that you are evaluating the change, just as Audi/Brembo have been developing the change, and that the evaluation will take time, as you need to experience all of the braking scenarios in a variety of road and weather conditions!

C'mon! Your Audi dealer will be asking you next to sign a non-disclosure agreement!

Sh*t!! Sorry, I'd promised not to suggest/disclose that at least one Audi dealer has done that already…

This brake squeal issue/component change really is a complete and utter joke!

That said I sincerely hope it works for you guys with the problem - my eBay self-adhesive anti-squeal shims at £4.99 are still doing the business for me and a few others...

John, going back to first principles, you reported you brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 3500-miles - so you do need that sort of mileage to evaluate ANY change.

Now my brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 1250-miles, so I would need at least the same mileage to evaluate. Does that make sense to you?

Note: I do have a list of some 44-RS3 owners of which only THREE report little or no brake squeal, the typical mileage for the onset of brake-squeal is 1000-miles: so I respectfully suggest that you tell your Audi dealer that you need to undertake a minimum of 1000-miles to evaluate!

If you sign off the next day or the day after then you're stuffed!

And it isn't Christmas!

Got a call from CS today saying the parts are been sent to my local dealer and they will be in touch to book in for the work.

Does seem like they are finally moving on this!

Got a call from CS today saying the parts are been sent to my local dealer and they will be in touch to book in for the work.

Does seem like they are finally moving on this!

Having seen HullRS3's update earlier, I called Audi UK for a status update. Amazing that you guys actually get called by Audi - I've never had a single proactive call, always me doing the chasing. Anyway, I'm told that the parts are awaiting allocation to dealers and we should have them within two weeks. I guess that this is about the same info as Mr_Freeze was given.

On another note, my front Contis were flagged up at the recent service as being about 3mm tread depth. I didn't think much of it as I've done about 13k miles but I've just realised that about half of that would have been on the winter Micheline PA4s. So in less than about 12k total (was told they had another circa 6k miles) these Contis will be useless - does this seem like a particularly poor life span or is this to be expected from the RS3?

That sounds like a little less than I got out of my fronts, and the majority of my driving is motorway so it sounds reasonable to me.

Having seen HullRS3's update earlier, I called Audi UK for a status update. Amazing that you guys actually get called by Audi - I've never had a single proactive call, always me doing the chasing.

Well, I got that call today. Parts are on the way to the dealer and should arrive within 24-48 hours apparently. Could be looking at the application of the official brake fix before the end of the week...

Well, I got that call today. Parts are on the way to the dealer and should arrive within 24-48 hours apparently. Could be looking at the application of the official brake fix before the end of the week...

I got this also today. Hopefully sorted for next week. Although I have only had some slight squeak, it's good to see its finally getting fixed for all you's that have been waiting for ages now.

Mines in today for new discs, pads, calipers and its first service.

These reports are starting to look good!

I've now pinched myself twice just to make sure I'm not still asleep!

Sincerely hope it works out for you guys...

Audi called me yesterday mine goes in on Tuesday for the break fix finally!!!

Still can't figure how they are deciding whether you get new disc's or not. :detective2:
I do agree, I really do.

I thought the brake disc change was mileage related, but I'm now not sure as one contributor, I don't know this of course, is 'maybe' having new brake discs with less miles than another who didn't; and one car that didn't, even having been back to ######### sorry, I do not know this of course, didn't.

I think we're still in 'scattergun' mode were customer cars are being used for development.

So I'm sticking with my £4.99 eBay 'cost' and the 1.1/2 hours of a laughable pensioner's labour solution: I don't want my calipers to be fondled by a 'young' Audi technician, or group-of 'young' Audi technicians at Milton Keynes, even, who'll then be asking for feedback!

Please, please Audi UK; please modify everyone else's RS3 and TTRS before you do mine!

I mean, thanks all the same Audi UK but no thanks, leave mine alone, or at least till LAST: BLUEY and I are content, very content, really!

Thank you, and good night!!!

Still can't figure how they are deciding whether you get new disc's or not. :detective2:

My neither, although I've just confirmed that discs, pads and calipers will be replaced this coming Tuesday.

Do you reckon that we can keep the old sets and would there be buyers on ebay?!

haha tried the old 'can i keep the calipers please?' his reply was a firm no! apparently they have to be sent back to Germany to be tested. hmmmm. Was thinking i could have made a few bucks too!! damn!!
Mine too goes in tuesday seems they trying to get them all done asap which is good!

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Audi/Brembo need 'em back so that they can modify 'em to fit a pair of these...
h5711_fro_zpsfecab266.jpg
Go back and refer to post #26

Mines booked in on Monday seem like they are handing these out fast

Bath Audi called me to confirm they have the parts and to book me in.
Asked the chap in parts dept if he could confirm what was in the box and he said it was Disc's, Pad's and Caliper's. Result!

No phone call here yet :uhm: ... and I do have an Audi UK reference from January about this. No replies to my emails either :huh: Will have to give them a call no doubt ... would be nice to get them done with my first service !

No phone call here yet :uhm: ... and I do have an Audi UK reference from January about this. No replies to my emails either :huh: Will have to give them a call no doubt ... would be nice to get them done with my first service !
same here are you using Leeds audi?

John, going back to first principles, you reported you brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 3500-miles - so you do need that sort of mileage to evaluate ANY change.

Now my brakes were 'squeal-free' for the first 1250-miles, so I would need at least the same mileage to evaluate. Does that make sense to you?

Note: I do have a list of some 44-RS3 owners of which only THREE report little or no brake squeal, the typical mileage for the onset of brake-squeal is 1000-miles: so I respectfully suggest that you tell your Audi dealer that you need to undertake a minimum of 1000-miles to evaluate!

If you sign off the next day or the day after then you're stuffed!

And it isn't Christmas!

Got car back today after mods fitted - brakes, discs and calipers. As I arrived it was just being taken out for testing. Despite only being driven half a mile home early reports it was silent running all the way. Now I did point out to the Hull Audi manager when I asked about having to bed the brakes in that it could be a little longer for me to reach the 200-300 miles as I am doing less miles than I used to & I am not sure what my weekend mileage will be as that is changing. I understand John's point, but I think Audi UK want to close the call and send out customer satisfaction surveys. I did ask if the problem came back should I go back to Audi UK. I was told to ring Hull Audi instead. It was also pointed out that I was one of the first to have this fix fitted from the first batch of RS3's. Hopefully the fix lasts and everyone gets some satisfactory results soon.

Yes ... are you ?
yes Jon I bought mine from derby audi same group I've already had a set of discs at 13k, and my car is due an oil service so I'm going to push for a service foc as a goodwill gesture, I speak to Christian on a weekly basis but nothing as yet I'm away next week so il wait till after then.
ubbs

Yeah ,mine should be booked in next week after parts arrive on tuesday ,new rs4 as a courtesy car ,hope so ;)

Last edited:
Yeah ,mine should be booked in next week after parts arrive on tuesday ,new rs4 as a courtesy car ,hope so ;)
Hi John, that's really good news - and here's a test (between RS3-KEL and me guys as we're just testing the system: nothing secret or underhand, you know) :whistle2:

Reactions: Kelza