Off to have the brakes fixed

DSC03186DSC03189DSC03198DSC03200DSC03227DSC03229DSC03230DSC03233DSC03234DSC03235DSC03239DSC03240DSC03243
Got car back Friday finally brakes all done new callipers discs hangers pads

Different feel! Been told to bed in slowly !!
See pictures for pattern on discs and weights on rear of callipersall (old and new)look good with no squealing as of yet ??
Discs seem bigger and slightly thicker?? bit peed as some of the holes aren’t drilled out completely ??

Attachments

• DSC03242.jpg
    DSC03242.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC03241.jpg
    DSC03241.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC03225.jpg
    DSC03225.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC03224.jpg
    DSC03224.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 301
Re: "bit peed as some of the holes aren’t drilled out completely?"

And your originals were drilled out completely? I don't think so!

As for the discs being bigger and/or thicker?

With respect, you reported brake squeal at 1900 miles on your original set; if I were you I'd wait till a similar 1900-miles were put on this revised set-up before drawing a conclusion.

For me, Audi/Brembo are adding widgets and changing components to control the effect and not addressing the cause!

Last edited:
Got my car booked in for the 28th May also, for front brakes, discs and pads as well as rears. I thought the fix was for the front brakes only?

Got my car booked in for the 28th May also, for front brakes, discs and pads as well as rears. I thought the fix was for the front brakes only?
I sincerely hope Suzuka62 that you'll be giving us your dealer's chapter and verse reasoning for changing the rears too, as that certainly is a NEW twist to the Audi/Brembo brake-squeal saga.

Reactions: Kelza
The guys getting theirs done, booked in, or already done are lucky. Just had Audi CS on the phone, "it's still being rolled out". I suspect a lack of parts.

I'd be curious to know how many on 62 plate have had theirs done and how many on 11, 61 and 12 plate...

The guys getting theirs done, booked in, or already done are lucky. Just had Audi CS on the phone, "it's still being rolled out". I suspect a lack of parts.

Not enough supply of the full kit (discs, pads, calipers) in the chain. My dealer told me I am 4th on their waiting list. They confirmed allocation is based on when the complaint was registered.

Not enough supply of the full kit (discs, pads, calipers) in the chain. My dealer told me I am 4th on their waiting list. They confirmed allocation is based on when the complaint was registered.

Just collected mine this arvo. Very different feel at the moment but maybe just to be expected early days. Think I registered the problem directly with Audi UK in January, after a Moschops post... Hope it is rolled out to everyone very soon.

Reactions: Moschops

To me from Audi UK 21 May 2013: "We have released a product improvement for the RS 3 which involves a modification to the braking system, however we are in the process of securing the relevant parts. We anticipate that they will become available within a couple of weeks and once this has been confirmed it will be made available across our Centre Network."

Why don't they put something out officially?

I sincerely hope Suzuka62 that you'll be giving us your dealer's chapter and verse reasoning for changing the rears too, as that certainly is a NEW twist to the Audi/Brembo brake-squeal saga.

I will try and get photos of the fix before they fit it to the car, they'll probably think I have OCD lol.

I'm surprised there's so much variation in the way Audi has dealt with this issue. I initially contacted my dealership back in December to ask about a fix, which was no use. I then contacted Audi UK in January - annoyingly the representative blamed my driving style on the issue with the brakes, saying I am not using the brakes hard enough!! From then on, I got in touch with my dealership again expressing my frustration with the situation again, no use whatsoever. Then finally a week ago, I told Audi UK to fix the issue or take the car back. Was a lengthy chat, but as a result I was regularly receiving calls from audi giving updates for the fix, they asked details of my dealership and then a date was booked for a fix. It has been a frustrating time but hoping all will be resolved for all of our cars. They have even offered my "anything from an A1 to a Q7" as a replacement, which I can choose on the day, and also a free service.

Reactions: Moschops and 45bvtc
Car now in getting the fix ,got about 2 hours sleep ahh,and nice courtesy car not ..a6 tdi,its like driving a boat ...
c08745eed74747e9dbd3edb967b2f5e5_zpsdec720d8.jpg

Mines dropped off this morning at Glagow Audi for new Discs, pads, calipers. Apparently first RS to be done for the fix by them, dunno if that's a good thing or not...

Mine got booked in yesterday for the fix, 62 plate. I'm also in need of a new set of tyres which I am trying to get free of charge for my troubles. Anyone upgraded yet and what tyres did you go for??

Mines in at Stoke Audi, took it in yesterday, getting it back on Friday. This is the first one Stoke have done, so have sent me away in a courtesy car. As I was going to wait.

The parts are on site, arrive on a pallet allbeit a small one, the discs look huge off the car.

I had to chase Audi CS about mine, so it may be worth those of you who have logged a call with them to go and stick your boot up their ****....:angrymod:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Mine got booked in yesterday for the fix, 62 plate. I'm also in need of a new set of tyres which I am trying to get free of charge for my troubles. Anyone upgraded yet and what tyres did you go for??

This might help your case. I bought 4 x michelin PA4 winter tyres and I was given £500 by my dealer (Coulsdon) against the purchase of these new tyres as a goodwill gesture in January 2013 - directly as a result of the brake squeal problem. I also received a free oil change service courtesy of Audi UK. I'm due to replace the front tyres and am considering the michelin super sports...

Reactions: finchy256
Mine goes in tomorrow (24th) for the brakes doing. Mines a 2012 with just over 5200 on the clock now. The first time i registered was via an email directly to Martin Sander on 30-03-13, which caused CS to call me a week later.

Absolutely fantastic to hear Audi are now moving on this fix and I have to say considering the issue was considered only an audible one - they certainly have gone to the high end of expense on parts if pads, discs, callipers and ancillaries are all part of the remedial.

The fix in itself acknowledges they admit there was a significant problem if each car is have thousands and thousands of pounds of replacement parts - I'd simultaneously now be asking Audi UK about goodwill gestures and compensation for all those who have had to endure months of wearing those ear muffs!

Reactions: wickedstef, monkeyboy_marcus and finchy256
Love my squeak free new brakes ,not bad as the car has done 17k ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm in majorca at the moment and had my weekly update from c/s, they said their still waiting for parts! So for me I think it may be some time yet,

Got mine back now.

I'll whip the wheels off and take them apart on weekend but just looking at the pads they look set tight ie no movement which is not good.

Id advise owners to seal the alu carriers before they go off/corrode and look a mess.

Love my squeak free new brakes ,not bad as the car has done 17k ;)

Don't forget John that you reported brake-squeal on your RS3 as starting at 16500-miles, so a little caution may be necessary.

My brakes were totally quiet for the first 1250-miles.

So, as with HullRS3 @ 3500-miles, and CarrG @ 3000-miles, I'd wait a little before intimating any success of this "product improvement" - as it's described in the e-mail to me from Audi UK on 21st May 2013, i.e.:

"We have released a product improvement for the RS 3 which involves a modification to the braking system, however we are in the process of securing the relevant parts. We anticipate that they will become available within a couple of weeks and once this has been confirmed it will be made available across our Centre Network."

And a note of caution - the owner of the 1st UK RS3 to have this modification (all parts except the brake discs) is already complaining of "supermarket low-speed brake squeal".

Feedback on this issue is going to be very important but we need to be patient…

John, did the pics come out okay?

Thanks for your time again yesterday, much appreciated :superman:

John, did the pics come out okay?

Thanks for your time again yesterday, much appreciated :superman:

Oh Yes Wayne... what a pair - to coin a phrase :friends:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: L1ARR, wickedstef, monkeyboy_marcus and 3 others
John, where did you get it and is it paint or spray application?

I get the POR-15 from Frosts, Neil (NO pun intended), see: www dot frost dot co dot uk (sorry but it's the only way...)

And yes, you can purchase the thinners and prepare a sprayable mix - but I brush paint (ask Vito).

Here a photo of my rear brake hubs that I coated with "CLEAR POR-15 Rust Preventative Paint" in October 2011 (still perfect):

Ahem! Post #108: 1) note the 235/35 on the REAR, and 2) that I've also coated the brake disc shield with POR-15 CLEAR!

I get the POR-15 from Frosts, Neil (NO pun intended), see: www dot frost dot co dot uk (sorry but it's the only way...)

And yes, you can purchase the thinners and prepare a sprayable mix - but I brush paint (ask Vito).

Here a photo of my rear brake hubs that I coated with "CLEAR POR-15 Rust Preventative Paint" in October 2011 (still perfect):

Nice wheels John! My rear hubs are unfortunately quite corroded and I will need to clean them off properly before applying the POR15 stuff. I've had a go with autosol metal polish but it doesn't remove the bad spots, although to be honest I've been mincing about with the wheels still on the car. Is there a rust remover you would recommend - sorry for such a boring, mundane question! I'm going to paint up the fronts ASAP whilst they're still all nice and shiny. Now that the brakes are behaving and the new place will have a garage, I feel like looking after the car properly, so going to sort out the wheels and then apply some G-techniq products. Photos to follow...

In truth Marcus I already had tins of Silver, Black, and Clear on the shelf. I used to work lots of classic Lotus cars and POR-15 happened to be the best anti-rust paint (for suspension components, brake calipers, hubs, etc) that I'd ever come across.

As I'd had to paint the brake hubs of my previously owned: S3, A2, and 3.2 TT for exactly the same 'rust' reasons I'd already mixed a colour I wanted, adding some of the black to the silver to darken.

Note: the correct mix to colour works brilliantly on all Audi brake calipers; not the powder coated RS calipers of course!

So, having cleaned all of the surface rust off the RS3 brake hubs I applied a light coat of 'mixed' followed with a light coat of Clear, and this is that shown.

However, I painted Vito's hubs last weekend (his being a 2012 car) and all they needed was cleaning off with an abrasive pad followed with a coat of Clear (plus a trip to the pub to allow the hubs to dry before we could refit the wheels…) to obtain a similar finish.

If your hubs are heavily rusted then check out POR-15 Metal Ready - I have used this on both hubs and suspension parts before painting and it really is first class.

A shame you're not closer Marcus…

And POR-15 in a darker grey on our TT's front brake calipers - rears have been done too.

In truth Marcus I already had tins of Silver, Black, and Clear on the shelf. I used to work lots of classic Lotus cars and POR-15 happened to be the best anti-rust paint (for suspension components, brake calipers, hubs, etc) that I'd ever come across.

As I'd had to paint the brake hubs of my previously owned: S3, A2, and 3.2 TT for exactly the same 'rust' reasons I'd already mixed a colour I wanted, adding some of the black to the silver to darken.

Note: the correct mix to colour works brilliantly on all Audi brake calipers; not the powder coated RS calipers of course!

So, having cleaned all of the surface rust off the RS3 brake hubs I applied a light coat of 'mixed' followed with a light coat of Clear, and this is that shown.

However, I painted Vito's hubs last weekend (his being a 2012 car) and all they needed was cleaning off with an abrasive pad followed with a coat of Clear (plus a trip to the pub to allow the hubs to dry before we could refit the wheels…) to obtain a similar finish.

If your hubs are heavily rusted then check out POR-15 Metal Ready - I have used this on both hubs and suspension parts before painting and it really is first class.

A shame you're not closer Marcus…

Shame indeed John - sounds like you're providing a much appreciated service up north!

Cleaned off the rear hubs with Hammerite rust remover gel (tenner at Halfords) this afternoon. Took three applications plus wire wool and elbow grease (left wheels on and mover car back/forwards) but they're 99% new and shiny looking now. Will nail that other 1% right before I polish off the flash rusting and apply either POR15 or G-techniq wheel armour (hubs and rims). What do you use to seal your wheels - not POR15 I assume? Just been reading up on this product called Iron-X, which sounds like a good thing to prep with.

Just so that the brake fix thread is not completely hijacked by my tedious questions - I can confirm that after circa 400 miles in predominantly dry conditions, the new brakes are silent and there is not the slightest hint of squeal. So, it took me 9 months to get the fix and Audi have managed the customer services side of it extremely poorly but they do appear to have delivered a proper solution. I know, early days still but the signs are looking good!

OK Marcus, that sounds good...

As for sealing the wheels, I don't. I just cut them back with a 3M surface restorer and spray (polish) with GTechniq C2V3, same as I use on the paint and glass; and the house windows and PVC frames...

Little and often is my motto!

And I don't wax...

To clean the wheels, a drop of 'Flash' in clean water does it for me... as per the photo.

Well, the car was booked in today and i've already had it back...sorry about this but I wasn't able to get any pics before hand of the brakes off the car; to cut a long story short I have been very dissatisfied with the "customer service" i received this morning, and I think I will give a few pointers to the manager. I always go out of my way to appreciate a good service, but when I am messed around with having an expectation from Audi to deliver a good service, it really ticks me off!!

Anyway, I digress...I can confirm that all 4 corners have had new discs, callipers and pads which I am still a little surprised with (but who am I to complain lol). I haven't yet driven the car so I can't comment on the braking performance of the car, but I had it confirmed almost 3-4 times from 3 different members of staff, including a mechanic. I have taken pics of the old brakes (front and rear) before I handed the car to audi, I will try and take some pics of the new brakes to see if there is anything different. I'm not very mechanically minded, so if anyone wants anymore info or particular pics, let me know and i'll try my best to be of assistance.

Just a quick note about my observations today driving in heavy rain. Previously with the old front brakes there would be a circa 0.5 second delay in response that was quite unnerving, before the bite kicked in. I tested this today with the new disks/pads/calipers (i.e. Audi warranty replacements) and found much better response, with no perceptible delay despite the rain and standing water. No idea if this is due to the software or brake hardware but it has seemed to have fixed the problem.

Reactions: Kelza
Has anyone received anything in the way of a goodwill gesture? I'm due a service in 500 miles/130 days and the parts are on back order so I've no idea how much longer its going to be.
Ubbs

Has anyone received anything in the way of a goodwill gesture? I'm due a service in 500 miles/130 days and the parts are on back order so I've no idea how much longer its going to be.
Ubbs

Got mine back today finally squeal free, I needed new front tyres and suggested that they were replaced FOC which to my surprise they did! 2 new contis saved me about £300! Marcus above managed to get an oil change out of them to!!