Offical (Well nearly) RS3

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Arvo,

Just picked up this weeks autocar and it says that in next weeks autocar (20th April 2004) they will have a full write up on the new RS3!

I couldn't believe it when I read it, i guess this will finally give us all some idea on the forthcoming little vixen.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Bet it will end up being a typo & should read new RS6!!!

That will be using the new W10 engine!!!

I've heard a rumour that its only going to be available in avante stylie!

This is only a runour though!

Looking forward to the review!

Defo no typo, check it out:

Also the new RS6 will be a detuned version of the V10 from the Gallardo mmmm

After the news broke of this I spoke to my contact at Audi UK.

Here's what I have been told I can publish :

Re the magazine article; Currently no such car exists. (I'm personally interested to see what they will be reviewing!)

Audi are planning on introducing an S3 but the engine/power etc are still under discussion.

Time frames for the S3 are likely to be approx 12 months from the introduction of the A3 Sportback (the name of the 5 door variant - N.B. NOT avant). This therefore seems unlikely until the end of 2005/beginning of 2006.

There are currently no plans to introduce an RS3. It is not even on the design plans that Audi UK are looking at and these run up to at least 2007. If an RS3 was to come out then, in keeping with Audi's lifecycle management plans, it would be about 2 years after the S3 i.e. 2007/8.

Unfortunately dealers know jack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Have just paid my deposit on an rs3. Just hope it's out sooner rather than later!

I suppose with interest rates as low as they are, you wouldn't make much on it in a bank over 4 year anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not sure if the UK Mag was any different, but the Autocar here in Australia said "Secret new pics" of the new RS3 on the front cover. Then when you read the fine print of the article itself, they reveal that they are not secret new pics at all, they are an artist's impression.

Now tell me why a reputable mag like Autocar feels the need to mislead the punters and give me the feeling that I've been ripped off?

If they had said technical insights or something I still would have bought it. Their reputation has just taken a downturn in my estimation.

In recent months Autocar has been using an awful lot of Photoshop exclusives, the Golf GTi, Audi RS3, 0-100-0 front cover (four cars were never actually tested together), Porsche 911 (997), etc ,etc.

It's a shame that they don't admit to using Photoshop images rather than pretending that they are of a real car. The photo of the Golf GTi showed a car which was supposed to have 18" wheels yet proportionally they look more like 20" wheels. The space between the rim of the alloy and the 342mm disks was vast made them look like they were off a Golf mk1.

Since Sutcliffe has taken over as editor there is definitely a more tabloid sensationalist edge to the mag.

[ QUOTE ]
mdt said:Now tell me why a reputable mag like Autocar feels the need to mislead the punters and give me the feeling that I've been ripped off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - autocar - reputable.

I am sure this magazine sells due to its speculative propaganda about cars we really want to hear about, but they really know very little.

You'll notice that the properly reputable mags carry no such material.

My dealer called me this morning to confirm that they now had a list for the RS3 and i was number 3 on it.

Just needs to be confirmed for production now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon.

havent seen any pics of it yet, anyone got a scan or link to a pic? thanks

...it's not only the Autocar speaking about the RS3, also CAR dedicates a couple of pages future Audi models and provides 5 lines on RS3. If I'm not mistaken, they expacted out in 2007 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif