Oh What A Month - Head, Turbo Help?

loafy

Reaction score
Ok what a month its been for the A4 Cab this month, well July not august lol!!

Start of the month the oil pump went on the motorway and decided to take the head with the car! So that was a great start, after G Werks Darren and Co helping me out source all the parts i needed, as he got a better discount than my mechanic in glasgow (which he was happy to do), i gets the car back on wednesday and last nite i used the car for half hr to go pick up brother in glasgow,

Big puff off smoke out the back, stopped right away and called the RAC to tow her back home! :-(

Ran vag com this morning but i believe turbo failure doesnt show up on vag com, is this correct? Also the engine sounds fine ticking over, but as u start to rev it to 2000rpm - 2200rpm it sounds rubbish and blowing smoke out the back?

before i got into glasgow whilst accerlating nothing hard, just causal 4am driving whilst spoolin up it sounded louder than normal, but i had read that have a head has gone due to oil stravation that the vanes in the tubro could be ******** and the turbo might only last a few thousand miles, in my case perhaps a 100miles if that :-(

so i am correct in saying that if the turbo has gone its very smokey out the back and sounds pants and no spoolin noise wen u reeve the engine?

also wat turbo does the 1.8t cab 163hp have? is it a KO3s or a KO3 and were is the best place to find one?

Your car will have a k03.

You could bolt on a k03s for a bit more power.

If you come across a k04 turbo & with a custom code for about same money you could achieve around 210 without changing injectors and adding a second intercooler/fmic.

good luck

so does it sound like the turbo then?

As far a i know the Vanes dont have an oil feed, its the bearings in the turbo that need the oil.

It sounds like it, your turbo was starved of oil when the oil pump went, you can send your turbo away to get a refurb, search the net for details.

When My oil pump failed, I also blown the turbo due to starvation!

ohhh .. my turbo went on the A6 1.8T and it wasnt he oil pump, the bearings ceased but as the feeder hoses were utterly clogged, very visible the damage was done, the reason for this has been firmly pointed at the long life servicing oil and changing to another oil wihtout flushing..

The turbo going, in my case the bearing shell collapsing completely was a serious dive in power over just a few seconds then sounding like a tractor and very little power. i ended up with a turbo refurb as well, place near manchester escapes me will look it up again. but basically send your away and you get an old turbo with new internals.. i considered the K03s route atthe point even the K04 now it the time!

if you add ANY type of oil except fully synthetic like shell helix or similar, they will not mix and will ****** the oil pump by blocking the strainer and other oilways with thick sludge.

You must use fully synthetic oil 5w30 or 5w40 in all 1.8t engines and never ever mix them or add additives or semi or mineral oils.

Its the Kiss Of Death to the 20v Turbo motor.

the oil pump was actually OK it was the hoses feeding which were blocked, like arteries there was a VERY thin groove almost where some oil was flowing through, just not enough as the metal to metal bearing just ate itself. Never service the A6 myself so its down to a point in its previous history.

However, its all full synth since the new turbo went on, made sure of that.

but the turbo failing i am not 100% sure, mine was the bearings so the failure was very instantaneous. can you measure the boost with VagCOM?

yeah i think you can view / log MAP sensor readings, check the ross-tech wiki on their site www.ross-tech.com/wiki/ or search from the main page, its choc full of info about vag com.