Oil change already?

The Real Big Vern

Reaction score
So, picked up a 21 plate S3 in March and today received a notification than an oil change is due in 29 days.

Would that be right already?

I'm a massive car noob btw so go easy if it's an obvious answer!

Ta

I guess your S3 must have arrived in UK / got it's oil end Oct/early Nov 2020. So it's totally possible this would ping up around now. I would be in the same situation, car arrived in the UK in May, but I only got it in end July, so my oil service will ping probably in April 2022. I might email Audi/leasing company telling them/asking them when I should service my car.

I had a similar question regarding my S3 which I picked up last November. The my Audi app tells me oil change due August 2022, but I’ve had a couple of missed calls from the Dealer who‘s leaving me voice mails telling me the car is due for a service. I’m assuming I should trust the car and not the Dealer, who I guess is trying to drum up some business with an unnecessary oil change.

When I got the car I reached out to Audi customer service to ask for info. about service schedules so I could understand what work is carried out at each Service interval. For example when or if a cambelt is due. They wouldn‘t provide this and pointed me back to the dealer, who I messaged, but I didn’t get any response. As far as I can tell this information isn’t in the handbook. Has anyone out there found this out, or knows where I can find it.

Thanks

New car shoukd have all change after aroubd 2000 miles if you want your engine to have lobg life

I had a similar question regarding my S3 which I picked up last November. The my Audi app tells me oil change due August 2022, but I’ve had a couple of missed calls from the Dealer who‘s leaving me voice mails telling me the car is due for a service. I’m assuming I should trust the car and not the Dealer, who I guess is trying to drum up some business with an unnecessary oil change.

When I got the car I reached out to Audi customer service to ask for info. about service schedules so I could understand what work is carried out at each Service interval. For example when or if a cambelt is due. They wouldn‘t provide this and pointed me back to the dealer, who I messaged, but I didn’t get any response. As far as I can tell this information isn’t in the handbook. Has anyone out there found this out, or knows where I can find it.

Thanks
I got my S3 in November 2020 and it will be due it's first service November 21 - Must have been set on fixed as I've only done 4000 miles - I do have the service plan though

I managed to get this info of the MY Audi page

Additional work for your Audi
Depending on mileage and vehicle age, your Audi requires the following additional work in addition to the inspection.
Additional work
Mileage
Vehicle age which ever comes first
Renew dust and pollen filter

All: 40,000 mi
All: 2 Year(s)

Spark plugs: Renew

All: 6 Year(s)

Air filter: clean housing and renew filter element

All: 60,000 mi

Dual clutch gearbox S tronic: Renew ATF oil

All: 80,000 mi

Brake fluid: renew

All-wheel drive coupling: changing oil

All: 3 Year(s)

I got my S3 in November 2020 and it will be due it's first service November 21 - Must have been set on fixed as I've only done 4000 miles - I do have the service plan though

I managed to get this info of the MY Audi page

Additional work for your Audi
Depending on mileage and vehicle age, your Audi requires the following additional work in addition to the inspection.
Additional work
Mileage
Vehicle age which ever comes first
Renew dust and pollen filter

Spark plugs: Renew

All: 6 Year(s)

Air filter: clean housing and renew filter element

All: 60,000 mi

Dual clutch gearbox S tronic: Renew ATF oil

All: 80,000 mi

Brake fluid: renew

All-wheel drive coupling: changing oil

All: 3 Year(s)
I asked Audi Customer Service about fixed and variable servicing and was told that fixed servicing is better for cars doing low milage / short journeys as there is more of a chance of oil dilution, hence a more regular change is needed. Variable servicing was best for those doing longer trips when the car is regularly warmed up to operating temperature for a longer period and oil dilution is avoided as the water and volatile compounds from short journeys are boiled off.

They also said that regardless of the type of servicing schedule, the car measures the oil viscosity and if it falls out of tolerance the car will throw up the oil change service light. This could be why your oil service light has come on now as your oil viscosity is out of range.

Hope this helps understand what’s going on.

Oh, and I doubt very much that mastachaz‘s recommendation above is valid. Modern synthetic / long life oil, as recommended by Audi and other car manufacturers, will last much longer than that, unless of course the operating conditions are incredibly extreme, but I’m struggling to imagine what those conditions may be, that justify an oil change so frequently. But if you want to throw money at oil companies / dealers the that of course is up to you.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I asked Audi Customer Service about fixed and variable servicing and was told that fixed servicing is better for cars doing low milage / short journeys as there is more of a chance of oil dilution, hence a more regular change is needed. Variable servicing was best for those doing longer trips when the car is regularly warmed up to operating temperature for a longer period and oil dilution is avoided as the water and volatile compounds from short journeys are boiled off.

They also said that regardless of the type of servicing schedule, the car measures the oil viscosity and if it falls out of tolerance the car will throw up the oil change service light. This could be why your oil service light has come on now as your oil viscosity is out of range.

Hope this helps understand what’s going on.

Oh, and I doubt very much that mastachaz‘s recommendation above is valid. Modern synthetic / long life oil, as recommended by Audi and other car manufacturers, will last much longer than that, unless of course the operating conditions are incredibly extreme, but I’m struggling to imagine what those conditions may be, that justify an oil change so frequently. But if you want to throw money at oil companies / dealers the that of course is up to you.
To be fair the Oil light hasn’t come on it’s the Audi Connect app that advised the dealer and that’s only because it’s approaching 11 months - I expect the dash to report it soon though

I was aware about the variable servicing etc s my friend is a master tech but usually Audi’s are on this unless you request otherwise and all my previous ones have been on variable but as I do low mileage they do usually flag up within the year although possible that as set finance at 8,000 miles they may have done it from this

with service plan it doesn’t really matter to me

New car shoukd have all change after aroubd 2000 miles if you want your engine to have lobg life

25+ years ago maybe. Manufacturing tolerances / swarf management / oil quality / oil filter quality are much better now. I recall a car I bought mid nineties had thinner oil as factory fill and a ‘free’ oil change at 3k miles. Nowadays 10k is fine but would not stretch to 19k variable interval from the factory.

I agree with your point about engine longevity - though several people I know run old bangers and don’t change oil for ~3 years is scary.

There is an FAQ on running in.

Reactions: AdamInKent
What is the average mileage on a variable plan for the first oil change?

I got my 8Y in August - replacing my 8V of the same engine (1.5 TFSI 150bhp) - the service indicator was always quite accurate, and services were approx 18k miles apart. I do about 18k per year (outside of lockdowns anyhow)

New car only had 12 miles on the clock, and as I had expected, showed the oil change at approx 1 year away or 10k miles - thought it would need a few miles on the clock for this to change, but 2k later, it now tells me that the oil needs changing in 7k miles!

Is this right, or do Audi still set the variable and fixed plans to the car, and I'm on the wrong one?