Oil change service question

d9jdm

Reaction score
so my 2013 black edition 2.0 tdi 143 Is due its 1st oil change @ 5.1k miles. Bought in july 2013 - 2 dealers have said it shouldn't be necessary but one has said they will have to do it to so they can reset the computer etc and car when new calculates when 1st oil change due with mileage/use etc (smells a bit like b/s to me) ..... the other says it unnecessary work they will reset computer FOC as it may be an issue with software when car was delivered.

Should I A) Go to dealer 1 and go ahead and get the oil change done or B) Go to dealer 2

Both Dealers are Audi one is close and other is 100+ miles away but the dealer who I bought the car new from.

Your thoughts?

WTF ...... That does not sound right .... I had the dealer switch mine to long service when I picked it up. 5.1k sounds way to soon even for the 10k service, I would be getting the dealer you got the car from to change the oil and reset the service interval for free.

Reactions: d9jdm
I think that by default, these cars are set for variable service at factory, if when it reaches its first mileage limit, time limit or just the flexible derived service point. According to how the car is being used, the dealer should use his brains and or instruction from factory and alter the service "type". First thing I did was scan my car with VCDS, really to check for service "type" though with my type of usage, the car will get an oil change at 12 months.

If it needs it done it needs it done that's no big deal. Both dealers seem to agree it was a bit strange and too early and it may be a programming issue.

correct me if i am wrong here, but i am led to believe that the oil change/service indicator is calculated on a ratio of cold starts over /miles and time ratio?
so in theory, if you had done lots of short journeys from cold then this may be be why!

correct me if i am wrong here, but i am led to believe that the oil change/service indicator is calculated on a ratio of cold starts over /miles and time ratio?
so in theory, if you had done lots of short journeys from cold then this may be be why!

Which if this is the truth behind this specific car's early "service due" begs the question, although we all have the right of choice, why run a DERV car and mainly only do short journeys?

Which if this is the truth behind this specific car's early "service due" begs the question, although we all have the right of choice, why run a DERV car and mainly only do short journeys?

Good point, but on the flip side why run a turbo'd car when you can get the dreaded 'sludge' which short journeys also contribute to IIRC ?

but at the end of the day I run a derv as yes it is my choice and due to the mixed driving I do short and long journeys it makes sense for me to run a derv

indeed, no matter what fuel you use, common sense dictates that short journeys are no good for any fuel engine!
it just seems (from my experience anyway), dervs enjoy a run out! like a horse! :thumbsup:

indeed, no matter what fuel you use, common sense dictates that short journeys are no good for any fuel engine!
it just seems (from my experience anyway), dervs enjoy a run out! like a horse! :thumbsup:

Indeed.... I enjoy a run out in mine :racer: