Oil Consumption

rich_16

Reaction score
My 3.0tdi 218ps has done 350 miles and the oil level has already dropped by one bar.

Is that normal? Last 2 new cars I bought barely used a drop of oil in between services. Admittedly they weren't Audis.

I had a similar problem with mine, after only a few thousand miles it flashed up with a low oil warning light. I rang the dealer and stressed my concern of the light coming on so soon, they asked me to bring it in. They topped it back up for free and stated that it must of been low when I collected from the dealer in the first place.

My oil check on the MMI is binary. It just says that the level is OK, but doesn't show how OK. It could flash up a low level warning tomorrow for all I know.

I have same engine as yourself. Mine has dropped by one bar from top when I checked - though it was cold not warm. Its done 700 miles.

Will check again with a warm engine to see if it makes a difference. It showed full when I picked it up.

All of the Audis I've run recently did not need top ups between services. Only exception is our A1 which is on the long life regime and has just required 0.5 litre after 14k miles (and 3k miles short of next service) - its also done 71k miles so probably not as oil tight as it once was.

Our oil is showing half full, still says oil level ok, thats after 7200miles (218 quattro Avant) and we've yet to have an ad-blue low / fill up notification, so its safe to assume the dealer did a decent PDI on ours.

After 1100 miles the oil level is about half full. Audi have agreed this is excessive so I've got it booked in next week to get checked over. Bit worrying as no sign of a leak. It's a lot of oil to use so quickly.

Correction to my post above. I went into the oil level reading a bit more and it shows a vertical bar scale, like a fuel gauge. At the moment it's showing full and I've completed about 1800 miles.