Oil from Anti-Shudder valve?

Mario

Reaction score
Today I was having a quick look for something in my engine bay when I noticed some oil on the oil filter housing and some surrounding bits. Looks like it has come from the anti shudder valve as depicted in green below.

The engine is a 2.0 TDI 170, BRD engine code. EGR was replaced May last year with a new Siemens part and the car was then serviced last June. At those times there was no oil at all. So it's happened in the last 11-ish months, and to be fair there is not a lot of oil.

Looks like only 100-150ml has been lost in that time. However if you look at the pictures below where I have circled in red it looks like a seal has "popped" out between 2 mating surfaces. That's where it looks like the oil has come from.

Is that how it's supposed to be? I have seen some used genuine ones on eBay that have the same thing, but new Siemens parts that don't have that.

I plan to clean it up and keep a close eye on it. Is it simply a worn seal or something more sinister?

Any thoughts on the matter welcome.

lunapic_131671390780050_13.jpg

A20E9BEC-02EF-4A3C-943F-1E0713CD1853_zpshr7mkoqa.jpg

7BBEBD09-2874-4EB9-8BBC-876FF9CEDEF0_zps5zz71rcx.jpg

Thanks @tony mc so it looks like it's probably full of oil. Thing is the car turns off smooth as anything and appears to be working perfectly fine. Oil being in there is no guarantee that the electrical components have failed. At the moment mine appears to be working. However I think I'll certainly be opening it up an giving it a good wipe down and clean with some brake cleaner, then dry off with an air line.

Looking at your pics it also looks like my seal should NOT look the way it does and has indeed popped out. Wonder if it's possible to get a new seal??

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at the weekend if I have a minute and will clean it up. As I said, appears to be working fine and I just noticed it while looking at something else, totally unrelated.

Reactions: tony mc
mine has now been deleted from the car, went with the egr and i had it mapped out, mine still shuts off quite smooth, only way to check is take it off and turn the car on and off, see if the flap opens or not

@carlcall What are you talking about? The EGR I replaced last year? This has nothing to do with the EGR, it's purely related to the anti-shudder valve which hasn't been touched since the car left the production line.

The EGR is working just fine.

Reactions: carlcall
Forget my last comment.....serves me right for not reading it correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a little update. Took the anti-shudder valve off the car today and it looked exactly like the pics in the thread @tony mc linked to. It was full of oil! Used nearly a full can for brake / parts cleaner on it and cleaned out all the oil inside the unit & the cover until it was just clear fluid coming out. Let it dry fully. Put it back together and tested it....worked perfectly! Valve opens and closes when it should.

So there is no need to replace the unit just because it has oil in it, doesn't automatically mean it's failed. All the electronics are covered in a black epoxy resin, so the oil wouldn't ever make any contact with the electrical components anyway.

Tony, might want to let your mechanic mate know that he shouldn't automatically condemn these units just because they have oil in them. Mine was working before and after the clean. Also cleaned off the spilled oil in the engine and been driving it all day. No more has re-appeared from the anti-shudder valve. :)

yeh mate, i could let him know but to be honest he's worked on a lot more of them than me so i trust his judgment, it may be a time thing as in the longer its oiled up the more damage it could do, i don't know he's the expert not me but yeh, glad yours is ok and all working, as i said i no longer have to worry about it as mine is mapped out so i no long have the chew,

yeh mate, i could let him know but to be honest he's worked on a lot more of them than me so i trust his judgment

Fair enough, but his judgement has just been proven wrong. ;)

Being an electronics / electrical engineer in oil & gas I'll stick to my own judgment on how oil affects epoxied electronic components :p

nice one mate, each to there own but i'm kind of guessing the unit should be working without filling with oil so..... like i said maybe time will tell ???

Reactions: Mario
Fair enough, but his judgement has just been proven wrong. ;)

Being an electronics / electrical engineer in oil & gas I'll stick to my own judgment on how oil affects epoxied electronic components :p
Hi Mario,

I had loss of power and 012847 Motor intake manifold flap (v157) - P3103-000 malfunction intermittent. (no EML light)

Cleared the fault and felt better, more responsive

So I decided to take it out with a view to clean and take a close look. As the EGR has been blanked with a plate, it was clean. However, just like yours, it was full of oil in the mechanism cover . There was a bit of rubber sticking out (I think the gasket has stretched and was forced out with oil/pressure) and oil dripping from it.

I only found your thread after so I wasn' t bave enough to take the cover completely . Just skirted some brake cleaner inside and drained. Put a bit of gasket paste where the cover gasket wouldn't fit properly.

My question are :
-what causes oil to get there in the first place ? The seal of the swiveling flap which is perished ?
- How long did yours last before you had to replace it ?

Many thanks

Hugo