Oil in Diesel Filter

SL11CKK

Reaction score
A friend of mine found a bit of engine oil in his diesel filter when he was changing it couple of days ago. He has a 1.9 BKC engine code.

Not so long before that he got his car back from the dealer because of his car having too much pressure causing loss of coolant via the overflow and getting no heat at all in his cabin. Dealer diagnosed it as headgasket and now its sorted.

Would the oil be there because of that or its a new problem?

The fuel goes into the filter via sealed pipes, I can't imagine how oil could have got in there. There ahve been threads about VW coolant migration in the past at times coolant and other fuilds for that matter can be pressurised into places it wouldn't normally go by for example leaking head gaskets but not into the fuel filter. Someone else will now come along with a perfecty reasonable explination though :)

I had the tandem pump go on my 2.0tdi which caused this. Seal breaks down allowing oil to get in the fuel lines. Not sure if the 1.9 uses this system though.

If not maybe injector seals???

Ive asked him to check the fuel filter in couple of weeks to be certain if a problem still persists. As it could of been caused by the headgasket.