Oil Leak 2.0 TFSI

chris11122

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to track down the source of an oil leak on my A3 2.0 TFSI.

The gearbox casing is covered in oil as you can see in the pic.

The HPFP has been replaced in the past, before I owned it. I think the part that this bolts to might be leaking.... Anyone had this?

Thanks in advance!
5b62b6e28053c9b0d2d535c5ca7c3305.jpg
fa41b13672595d38e0cea646b85fcc9b.jpg
a51edad7794b99c36daac72af8d1fe08.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue where the underside of the front edge of the engine cover was getting splattered with oil.
It turned out to be the PCV pipe had a hairline split and oil was getting sprayed out of this pipe.

Your's looks to be a different area, but there is a 2nd PCV pipe in the picture so you may need to look at it closely.
My first action would be to get that area cleaned up with some brake cleaner and then the leak might be easier to trace on a clean area after a short drive as there will be less of it around, and the area of concern should be more obvious.

I had a similar issue where the underside of the front edge of the engine cover was getting splattered with oil.
It turned out to be the PCV pipe had a hairline split and oil was getting sprayed out of this pipe.

Your's looks to be a different area, but there is a 2nd PCV pipe in the picture so you may need to look at it closely.
My first action would be to get that area cleaned up with some brake cleaner and then the leak might be easier to trace on a clean area after a short drive as there will be less of it around, and the area of concern should be more obvious.
Ah interesting. Thanks for the advice. I am awaiting a delivery of more brake cleaner. Is that the best way of getting rid? Or is an engine degreaser better?

Both should do the job fine, but I'd buy whichever is cheapest as it's only being wasted anyway.

Reactions: abmat
I took the PCV apart this afternoon. Found that the right hand pipe was a little gungey...

But tested the PCV by blowing down the inlet valve section. It didn't leak air so think the PCV is ok.

Had a good look at the pipes and couldn't find any evidence of a crack. Couldn't even find evidence of oil from the pipes.

I'll get the brake cleaner and have a go then.

More to follow, but at least the search is lessoning!

Ah interesting. Thanks for the advice. I am awaiting a delivery of more brake cleaner. Is that the best way of getting rid? Or is an engine degreaser better?

It's funny you should ask this, as I recently ordered brake cleaner and received engine degreaser by mistake, and I wondered what the difference between them would be. I figured they'd be more or less the same product.

Brake cleaner is solvent based and will clean quickly but will also dry out just as quick so you need rags to mop up the gunk.
Degreaser is sprayed or brushed onto oily parts, left to soak for 10mins and then you need to rinse away with water. It’s handy for cleaning oil off driveways as well, I use it a lot as SWMBO complains of oil spotted paving at our gaff.:rockwoot:

Reactions: aqibi2000 and JayTeeA38P
Hi All,

I am trying to track down the source of an oil leak on my A3 2.0 TFSI.

The gearbox casing is covered in oil as you can see in the pic.

The HPFP has been replaced in the past, before I owned it. I think the part that this bolts to might be leaking.... Anyone had this?

Thanks in advance!
5b62b6e28053c9b0d2d535c5ca7c3305.jpg
fa41b13672595d38e0cea646b85fcc9b.jpg
a51edad7794b99c36daac72af8d1fe08.jpg

Any news on what it was?

Any news on what it was?
Nope, I still can't find it!

Cleaned it all down, driven and only a small amount has returned. But God knows where it is coming from.

Obviously not driving at the moment so will have to wait until I can get back out on the road again!

Nope, I still can't find it!

Cleaned it all down, driven and only a small amount has returned. But God knows where it is coming from.

Obviously not driving at the moment so will have to wait until I can get back out on the road again!

Thanks for the fast response, yeah if it's a slow build up I can imagine the frustration. I have the same issue but I might just start to pull stuff and see. Can you travel the small oil back to an area?

It would seem not easily traced. I have no clue as to where it is from, just a small amount on top of the gearbox again. By small I do mean small.

I will try to photograph the amount when able to drive again.

Could it be blowing upwards from the gearbox. I’m thinking of sensors, pipes, breather connections.

Hi, i have the same oil leak on my EA113 engine, i´ve checked the pcv, pipes from oil filter mount, valve cover gasket, and found a post about vacuum valve leak. ( https://blog.europaparts.com/audi-vw-2-0t-fsi-vacuum-pump-failure/ ).
Audi doesn´t sell the oring as a part, but i found this https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rk...eseal-rebuild-kit-2-0-t-tfsi-2009-a4-q5-a5-a6
I´ve cleaned the gearbox, vacumm pump, pipes and all the zone last week but i can´t use the car because here in Argentina we´re on quarantine.
I´ll check again in a few days.
Let me know if this have worked.

Regards.
Ariel

If anyone is still wondering on this one.....
That is the wiring harness in the pic not the pcv valve bottom end to rocker pipe so won’t be likely to leak.
what it is - the vacuum line that goes onto the brake pump has a plastic hose connector.
pull off the hose making sure you have the rubber adapter between the hose male and female, and don’t loose when pulling off.
with the hose disconnected, you will be able to pull back and forth that male black plastic connector.
if you look at the ally it slots into, there is a tab on left and right and when depressed in, the plastic bit pulls out and reveals another o ring that fails and leaks all over the linkage a per your pic.
There is a gasket on outer plate of brake vacuum, inner o ring between the head and pump assembly, and this third one discussed above that is less known about.
vwag don’t sell any of the gaskets as u probably know. you have to buy the whole assembly to get them (ridiculous) but they must sell aftermarket ones on web.

hope it helps and I will try and find a pic of the part I am talking about for You to See better.

if anyone can recommend a place to buy the 3 gaskets, that have been tried and tested already please let me know as I don’t like buying aftermarket parts unless they have been tested over time already and can’t recommend to people either until longer term testing has been done.

Reactions: mister.c.
The part I am talking about that causes the leak and connects to that 3 way check valve pipe thingy

sorry correct name for check valve pipe is:

Vacuum Pipe for Brake Booster with Check Valve​

Attachments

• AD9FE1C2-BC78-4A90-8CC3-B4C24A279365.jpeg
    AD9FE1C2-BC78-4A90-8CC3-B4C24A279365.jpeg
    749.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Inner and outer gasket for pump also, for reference

Attachments

• 31A0BA57-AC02-4DD6-A645-91FE332F3514.jpeg
    31A0BA57-AC02-4DD6-A645-91FE332F3514.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 382
  • 252ECF4C-3707-49E8-AA36-661F3EFC45B8.jpeg
    252ECF4C-3707-49E8-AA36-661F3EFC45B8.jpeg
    615.4 KB · Views: 393
Just found these on eBay, If anyone has tried them already or can recommend anywhere else that sells, that they have already tried for a period of time would be greatly appreciated for recommending to people in the future
Cheers everyone

Rather than my pretty bad explanation, I found this for anyone that views in future to diagnose leak.
it shows exactly how to fix better than my terrible explanation above

I have recently done this exact job with Mr O ring kit. Works a treat!

Reactions: Davill9
I have recently done this exact job with Mr O ring kit. Works a treat!
Awesome mate cheers for letting me know they work ok.
don’t like non genuine parts unless someone can recommend them being tried already
I was looking at mr o ring on eBay but wanted to just check with people before I went ahead and bought
Much appreciated for that !

Reactions: chris11122
Just to let people know that read this thread in the future,
I have purchased mr oring gasket kit on eBay and have to say, the customer service and help given was absolutely amazing, .... especially given it was a Sunday evening.

fair play to the guy, he is on the ball so to speak.
I cannot speak for longevity as items haven’t arrived yet but as a few others have used already, I think they will be fine on that side of things.
If I can, I will do another update in 6or so months to clarify that too.
hope it helps people.

I believe I have just discovered the same issue, oil possibly leaking from the vacuum pump, i'll be buy the same kit, thanks for sharing!

Could you check my post is this the same problem ive een experincing cars been off the road for weeks been told my injector 4 needs replacing

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Could you check my post is this the same problem ive een experincing cars been off the road for weeks been told my injector 4 needs replacing

Scrap last post, having the same problem may i asked ones in the forum if you remember your mileage when you noticed the pump needed sorting just curious

Milage 130,000 on car 72,000 on engine

Over 1 year on -
and mr oring kit is still dry as a bone - no leaks whatsoever and I have had the full gearbox off last weekend for clutch so could see right directly upward too and definitely no leaks whatsoever.
well happy with that purchase as Audi don’t sell them at all.