Oil level difficult to read on dipstick.

s-line stu

Reaction score
I find it really difficult to read the oil level from the dipstick due to it being small and black. Thought I had a mid level the other week then the oil light came on during the commute to work so bought some oil in my lunchbreak and topped it up but still couldn't really get an accurate idea of what it read. So a carry a 1 litre container of oil now just in case.

Just wondered if anyone else had similar problems as I gather it's not ideal waiting for the warning light to come on?

It's a 2.0TDI by the way, just in case that makes any difference!

Stu

i think its best to park the car then remove the dipstick,let it sit for a while"20 mins or so" then check the level.i find its the only way to get a proper reading

I know what you mean about it being difficult to read, your not on your own on this.

I don't think it is such a problem on the A4 with the low oil warning notification as it is with other models, but its not ideal to rely on it.

Yeah its's pretty hard to read all right.

On another note, is anyone else's dipstick have a slight bend in it?

It certainly is hard to read... dipstick seems a bit on the cheap and plastic side...

I had an '03 plate S3 before my A4, and the quality all round seemed a lot better, all the way from a 'normal' dipstick to interior quality

Sorry to go off topic a wee bit here, but is this typical of 's' series cars or are Audi tightening their belt?