oil level sensor faulty ?

mm707

Reaction score
hi,

My oil level warning light keeps coming on despite the oil level being on just about max.

Hopefully it's a faulty sensor - anyone changed one of these and is it a difficult job ?

I'm planning on changing the oil in the next week or two also.

Thanks

2.0 TDI 170 2007

if your due a service anyway, personally i would monitor it after the oil change imo.
it could be that the oil is a bit thin and dirty, and possibly low as the dip sticks on these are a nightmare to read! :wtf:
i would put tippex on your dip stick and check the level against the white of the tippex as it might be actually low!
if low, remember its only 500ml between min and max so dont overfill! :rolleyes:
remember also, oil consumption is normal (as long as not excessive) and regular top ups are needed on these engines as they dont hold much oil!
a couple of times mine has flashed yellow so i always carry some oil in the boot!
its when it flashes red when you need to worry about mate! and stop the engine straight away! and call the AA!

Hi,

I have a B7 2.0TDI 2006 and had to replace my sensor 5months ago. Oil Min sensor displays after a while driving, lifting the bonnet will reset, but will display again after few miles (I wrote an article here about this)

Check the dipstick to confirm - if oils fine then most likely sensor is faulty. Easy to replace (located on sump pan near sump nut) - ideally replaced when changing oil.

5months later - no error again and no loss of oil either :)

Yep, I've had the same problem on my 2.0 a4 avant '06, just replaced it last Wednesday, very very easy to replace however like someone else said you would probly wanna combine it with a service/oil change as you will need to drop all your oil to replace it.
touch wood all seems to be fine so far!
good luck

I had the same problem. Replaced the sensor but i still get the same fault! Any ideas?

Right!
I have now replaced the sensor twice.
Due to the plug being badly corroded i took the decision to rewire directly to the sensor, but i am still getting the fault.
Is it possible to bypass or turn off this sensor in VCDS?