OIL OIL OIL??!!?? EMAIL OFF CASTROL USE 5W 40 ON EARLY PD ENGINES "PRETTY LONG"

tommytonguedj

Reaction score
Well loads of asked and i searched all last week on oil before fitting turbo monday, Also on another site somewhere they emailed castrol australia and they also reccomended 505.01 on early pd engines So i thought i'd email castrol uk because i was bored and the reply i got started with, The question is still a little unclear lol even castrol don't know:think:. After the email i phoned and they reckoned off the record 505.01 upto 2004 or exactly what is stated in the handbook for that year to be on the safeside for cams etc by that time he was boring me and it was an 0845 number off my mobile lol.

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email

The question is a little unclear , but I will try and explain best I can
and hopefully that will provide the information you require

VW 505 01 is a 5W-40 oil designed for the early PD engines, it meets
various other specifications including the basic 502 00 petrol
specification. It is normally used for older PD diesels that do not have
a Diesel Particulate Filter ( DPF ) fitted and are on fixed service
schedules. It can also be used in petrol models not on extended
servicing.

The 5W-30 meeting 504 00 / 507 00 is designed for later vehicles on
extended ( longlife ) servicing and cars with DPF units fitted. In most
cases, the later 507 00 oil can be used in vehicles that are using 505
01 - for example Audi, where a 5W-30 504 00 / 507 00 can be used across
the board in all vehicles.

The only exceptions would in theory be very early ( around MY 2000 ) VW
PD diesels where the recommendation would be for a 505 01 oil, and in
these early models I would suggest that this oil is used

In later models on fixed servicing, the use of the 5W-30 is not an
issue, and if the car has a DPF, then the 5W-30 would need to be used,
whether on fixed or variable servicing

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Automotive Lubricants - UK & Ireland
Lubricants - Advanced Technical Support
T: 0845 0821719
Email: griffia@bp.com
www.castrol.com/uk

Use 505.01 oil 5w 40 and changed every 8k miles or 6months and your engine will be happy;forget about LL oils,are crap.

in my passat i was using 507spec changed every 5k, LL is only crap when used for LL servicing lol

Well loads of asked and i searched all last week on oil before fitting turbo monday, Also on another site somewhere they emailed castrol australia and they also reccomended 505.01 on early pd engines So i thought i'd email castrol uk because i was bored and the reply i got started with, The question is still a little unclear lol even castrol don't know:think:.

Hi

What I meant was your question was a little unclear ... " Could you please clarify that castrol edge 5w30 spec 504/507.00 can replace vw/audi spec 505.01 engine oil. Thank You"

You didn't say what the application was or give any information regarding what your usage needs were and as the advice varies with VW and Audi, I had to try and cover all options with my reply which I hope I did ? :thumbsup:

I assume when you phoned, you had a chat with one of our customer services people in hungary rather than a UK technical person - Did you get the information you needed in the end ?

Cheers

Andy Griffin

Reactions: tommytonguedj
lol Andy i did'nt know you was on here chances of that think i might put the lottery on today now. i know mines a 2001 so i'm sticking with the 5w 40 changing it every 6 months like alot of taxi drivers and transport companies do. No idea who i spoke to but they certainly did not sound hungarian, Like i said on here someone else off another forum contacted castrol oz and they stated the same thing 505.01 for early 2000 pd engines, So 2 emails from opposite sides of the world gotta be worth trusting rather than hearsay.

What i think may of just been coincidence but gut feeling saying not, Car was running mint i booked an oil change online with a company and they put edge 5w 30 in after i put my reg in they overfilled it by approx an inch over the max mark which i only discovered a couple of week later, From there thats where the car started to go wrong but fingers crossed i've sorted that now,

I've always used castrol oils in all my cars i still have a 52 plate 1.8 zetec mondeo sorn on the M.I.L's drive i've had from nearly new apart from obvious brakes service parts etc the only thing i ever had to change on it was the catylic converter and always used magnatec 5w30 ontime everytime i mean 10yr old car 80,000+ on clock and engine is mint. I am assumung Castrol Edge FST 5W-40 will be all good for 2001 pd engine.

Also Andy can all audi sport members please have some castrol discount vouchers lol