Oil Pressure Light

goku4ever

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has been covered on other threads, but none really had similar symptoms.

Prior to getting the car serviced by a local garage in January, it was losing a lot of oil and it remained this way after the service.

So I took the car back to the garage, and the mechanic noticed that oil was leaking from the oil pressure sensor and had it replaced with a non-genuine part from ECP. This solved the oil leak. However, a week later, the oil pressure light came on, beeps three times, then disappears. This will happen after 40mins drive from cold start.

Took it back to the garage, and they replaced the sensor again (same part from ECP) as they didn't have anything to test for low pressure.

Car was fine for another 10 days, before the oil pressure light came on again, but now it's more constant than before, and I noticed that it only comes on low RPM, and will disappear on 3000rpm+

Do you think replacing the sensor with a genuine part will solve it or is it more than just the sensor?
Car drives fine, no noise or knock.

Car is Audi A4 2004 1.8T BFB 101k

Thank you so much

Personally I only use genuine VAG sensors as there are so many stories about aftermarket sensors not working correctly on VAG cars.
More worrying is the possibilty that your engine is in the early stages of a gummed up oil pick up pipe, which is a very common issue on VAG 1.8t's. Really easy to sort out on transverse mounted VAG cars, but way more involved on an Audi as the subframe has to be removed to remove the sump.

Replaced the sensor/switch with original VAG part....so far I've done 100+ miles and no warning light :)

lesson learned, replace with genuine VAG parts!

Reactions: pauldazzle