Oil pressure warning light on S3

dgannon

Dolphin Grey 2007 S3
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just been on a 30mile trip, 2 minutes from home coming into town after coming round a sharp bend at approx 20mph in 3rd gear - calm driving the Oil Pressure Warning light came up on the DIS. It kept beeping at me as if to say stop, just as i was going to pull over it went off!!

Any suggestions? the cars done 19k miles and had a variable service when i bought it.

Any advice what to do? leave it and wait for it to happen again?

cheers,

Dave

have you checked the oil level? As you cornered the oil in the sump will have shifted and caused the car to think the oil pressure is low due to the oil starvation.

not yet, i wanted to give it time to cool down first but will get on the case ;)

At the moment it's just covering the minimum mark - unusual considering it only had a service 4 months/5k miles ago approx 80% of my driving has been motorway and the rest city/B roads...

Should it have drank that much oil? I don't drive it hard..

Dave

I believe newer engines use more oil until everything beds in, not sure at what point this happens though.

Yep, i had my oil changed after 2.5K run in period. It hasnt lost a drop since seemingly and i am not 12.5 K now. Well worth it imo (Variable service is a waste of time!)

RAC have been out, oil was just on the min line so they popped a litre in - f*** knows how its drank that much since i bought it. I'm guessing they didnt put much in it when they did the service!!

Can't say for the S3s, but the 2.0 TFSI in the Mk5 GTI tends to like a drink of oil. The amount tends to very from engine to engine.

Assuming all else is okay, jut monitor the level more closely in future.

Did you see the oil type the RAC dude topped up with? Would be interesting to know if he used an appropriate oil for the S3 or just whatever he had in his van.

I would say it's pretty normal if comparing to mine, it drinks a litre every 8-9K miles. My friends Ed30 drinks about the same too.

The RAC guy used the correct stuff - cost me £10 for the 1 litre - its the correct oil from unipart i think. I've got it booked in for an Oil and filter changed next week at the stealers £103... good price?

Dave

If it reappears then do not drive it any more and get it to your Audi dealer. The low oil pressure warning beeping at me is my biggest fear aside from a cambelt snapping at 5000 RPM.