Oil quantity between min/max on dipstick.

Camster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone knows how much engine oil is needed to top up to max on the dipstick from the min mark, on a 2.0TDI (170) (Quattro), and when (on the dipstick?) does the amber low oil level light come on?

Checked mine about a week ago and my level was around 2/3rds or so. Before I got some oil my amber light came on so went straight to my local supplier and got topped up.

When I did the level check a week ago I noticed there was some oil in the rubber cup by the oil cap and some staining/residue at the top left corner of the engine (looking at from the front). Is the oil in the cup from a leak or just a careless top up by someone else previously?

In the top left corner it doesn't look like an oil leak but definitely oil residue - again from careless top ups running down?

Any thoughts on any/all of the above?

Thanks,
Camster.

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone knows how much engine oil is needed to top up to max on the dipstick from the min mark, on a 2.0TDI (170) (Quattro), and when (on the dipstick?) does the amber low oil level light come on?

Checked mine about a week ago and my level was around 2/3rds or so. Before I got some oil my amber light came on so went straight to my local supplier and got topped up.

When I did the level check a week ago I noticed there was some oil in the rubber cup by the oil cap and some staining/residue at the top left corner of the engine (looking at from the front). Is the oil in the cup from a leak or just a careless top up by someone else previously?

In the top left corner it doesn't look like an oil leak but definitely oil residue - again from careless top ups running down?

Any thoughts on any/all of the above?

Thanks,
Camster.

The light usually comes on when the oil is at minimum level, I believe there is a safe limit for you to top it up. On the 2.0t fsi, usually 1 litre can determine between max and low. As for the oil around the filler cap, I would say careless filling. If you take your cap off, it's not often you see oil spraying out of the top whilst running. (I could be wrong) atleast not that much oil for it to be not that much oil for it to be noticeable. I'm not sure if diesels are different, but that's my experience with a petrol engine.

My old A4 Avant, diesel used to spit out of the top when running. but nothing immense. Im about to top my 2.0t oil up also. what oil are you using craig? just 5w30 stuff?

Thanks guys, it was just a bit concerning to know that it was below the max line, but not by much and then after only a few days or so the amber low level light came on. Don't think it would have dropped by 1/2 to 2/3rds on the dipstick in that time. Definitely no signs of any obvious leaks bar a small amount in the rubber cup and some oil stains/residue at the top left of the engine area. Can't see it leaking out of a gasket from there as there are no signs of oil dripping down anywhere.

Put half a litre of oil in to make sure the amber light would go off but now when I try to check the oil level I can't even tell where the mark is on thr dipstick. I'm not getting any obvious lines like in previous cars, just oil all over the bottom of the dipstick. Just hoping the half litre I put in was about the right amount.

Going to give the corner of the engine a good wipe down and will try and monitor any oil leaks near there.

I did the test of removing the oil cap while engine was running. There was definitely some resistance but it opened easily enough...is that a good thing?? When I did some oil was spitting out of the top of the engine so maybe the oil cal seal isn't as good as it should and oil might be getting out of that and into the rubber cup??

Thanks again,
Camster.

Thanks guys, it was just a bit concerning to know that it was below the max line, but not by much and then after only a few days or so the amber low level light came on. Don't think it would have dropped by 1/2 to 2/3rds on the dipstick in that time. Definitely no signs of any obvious leaks bar a small amount in the rubber cup and some oil stains/residue at the top left of the engine area. Can't see it leaking out of a gasket from there as there are no signs of oil dripping down anywhere.

Put half a litre of oil in to make sure the amber light would go off but now when I try to check the oil level I can't even tell where the mark is on thr dipstick. I'm not getting any obvious lines like in previous cars, just oil all over the bottom of the dipstick. Just hoping the half litre I put in was about the right amount.

Going to give the corner of the engine a good wipe down and will try and monitor any oil leaks near there.

I did the test of removing the oil cap while engine was running. There was definitely some resistance but it opened easily enough...is that a good thing?? When I did some oil was spitting out of the top of the engine so maybe the oil cal seal isn't as good as it should and oil might be getting out of that and into the rubber cup??

Thanks again,
Camster.

Hej Camster

Well must say that I find the petrol engine dipstick a ****** to check....one of worst actually that I have owned. I understood it always better to have less oil than too much oil in an engine....so I would be careful you don't stick too much in. If your filler cap removes easily with the engine running on a petrol engine then your PCV is working normally, not sure if there's one on the diesel.

Sorry I can't be any more help on this issue.

Cheers
A

My old A4 Avant, diesel used to spit out of the top when running. but nothing immense. Im about to top my 2.0t oil up also. what oil are you using craig? just 5w30 stuff?

If the last service was done by a dealer it will the VAG longlife stuff. Doesn't it say on the service book or receipt from the garage? You want to make sure you stick the right stuff in Mucker.

BR
A

You have probably overfilled it, just topped wifes 3.0tdi up from just over min to just under max took roughly 3/4 litre, so 1 litre min to max sounds right
Easy way to check it is clean dipstick and fit it, but leave it 1/2 inch out then see what the level reads.

The difference between min and max is 1.0L
the difference between max and min would be -1.0L Teee,hee,heeeeeeeeeeeee

well i buy my oil from audi so i trust them to sell the right stuff to me lol.

So if the difference between min and max is 1 litre and the amber low level light comes out at minimum then 1 litre of oil is required??

Like I said, dipstick had about 2/3rds on it, a week later the amber light came on and then I put 0.5 litres in so it must be about right assuming my level had dropped to somewhere between min and 1/2 way.

I'll try the trick of keeping the dipstick out 1/2 inch. I assume you take this 1/2 inch into consideration when checking where the level is at on the dipstick??

This is by far the worst dipstick.I've used. I'm days off after tonight so will keep trying till I get the exact level!

Thanks all,
Camster.

Yes the idea with the 1/2 inch is if you then get a clear reading you know you have overfilled it.

These engines are known to use a bit of oil - mine does about 3k between top ups. I put a litre in when the light comes on, if I've forgotten to check the levels, which I do weekly - or weakly - - -

If the oil is cold it's far easier to read the dipstick - and as mentioned, if overfilled it's almost impossible, so the half-inch trick helps - as does using a bit of paper towel as a "background". Mike

Hi bud, it's 1 litre from minimum to maximum according to Haynes manuals but I'd exercise some caution, too much oil is as fatal if not worse as running with too little, general advice is check when cold (not ran for at least 3 hours) this enables oil to be settled, if required add in small incriments, you can always add more but taking it back out gets messy.

As for the oil residue, try cleaning it and see if it reappears, sometimes o rings beginning to fail seep rather than pour.

Hope this helps, Dan