Oil Question For S4 Owners

dieseldoos

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Do these have the same problem as the 2.0 petrols, in that they need the oil regulary topping up?

Basically, I am pondering selling my car as I have no need for a diesel engine anymore (and I miss the power of some previous cars I have owned).

I have had to rule out an R8, as its only a 2 seater, pondered an S5, but now its between an S4 saloon or a supercharged Jag XF, with either the 4.2 or 5litre engine. If im honest, a friend of mine has the Jag and I love it, but, I do love my Audi, hence pondering same car as I have, except the S4 version.

No oil issues with the 3.0 V6.

I was having the debate when I bought mine (S4 Avant) between:

AMG C63 estate
RS4 Avant
S4 Avant
Jag XFR V8

....went for the S4 in the end due to weighing up practicality (needed a big boot), performance and running costs. The S4 just seemed to be better allround. Sure it's not as out and out fast as the others, but it's not far off, it has the potential tunability if required and the running costs are far far lower due to the tax bracket of the B8.5 and fuel....and it's 4WD.

I'd forgo the slight less pace for less cringing at the pumps and the fear of heavy rain :)

..........incidentally, I also made this move coming from a diesel family lugabout that I no longer required a diesel engine for due to massive drop in monthly mileage (around 5k a year is now all I do at most).

I seem to remember that there were few people with "oil" issues but only the very early models, that got me a bit worried though unnecessarily as it turned out.

Reactions: scotty76
I think the oil thing is a TFSI rather then S4 specific. One of the 2.0 TFSI engines had a known problem. I've put 300ml in my S4 in 5000miles which I think is totally acceptable given that my weekday journeys re 20min.

Reactions: scotty76
Glad to hear, thanks guys, still undecided but will have to start browsing to see whats out there!

Mine used to use about 1 litre of castrol edge 5w-30 every 3k miles, I changed the oil to Millers Nanodrive CTS 5w-40 last service and glad to report no usage so far after 4k miles.

Reactions: benjie