Oil service

Scuba79

Reaction score
Which oil service would be best for the car?

Longlife or the standard one?

I do about 13-14k miles a year.

A4 3.0 tdi.

Many thanks

Long motorway journeys then longlife maybe, but your on the limit.

Lots of short journeys, standard.

Im basing this on what my petrol manual says. Im guessing diesel is the same, but you might want to check in the manual.

Mine has been on a long life service but now it will only do 4k a year and most of that will be around town with a run out at the weekends. Should I change to a standard service?

I would for that distance. Mines been on longlife due to high millage, but now im on 5k a year ive swapped.Well i say swapped, i will when the longlife runs out in terms of service periods. I changed the oil myself when i got the car. Ill wait till the longlife runs out and get Audi to do the standard service. Means i had a cheap oil change doing it myself but i also keep full service history.

I do about 30 miles a day round trip, up the A road.

I called a local Audi garage and they advised they only do the longlife oil? They do not offer the standard one?

Its the same oil for interim or longlife, which is why they say they only have the longlife oil, for example the Castrol EDGE 5W30 fully synthetic. Its longlife spec, but as you are making more starts and shorter journeys the oil is under more strain. So you change it more often for the interim service.

My mileage fluctuates each year so I have the car serviced either at - 1 year since the last or if I get to the long life mileage between services.

I,ve stuck with the longlife service my car started with but I've just given it a extra oil and filter change myself in between services (castrol EGDE 5-30 and oem filter £32 all in) as I only use the car at weekends and holidays.I've just done the fuel filter as well as the cars just passed the 40k marker took all of 25min to do.