Oil spec

Vertigo1

Reaction score
What the correct oil spec for a current model S3?

I'm thinking 0W-30 but I can't actually find anything official. The manual used to have this info for each engine but now just says "your dealer can advise" - frankly I wouldn't trust the dealer as far as I could throw them.

Surely Audi must publish the officially recommended spec somewhere?

My 1.0 tfsi got 0 - 30 last week.

I assume all models get the same oil?

I would have thought this info is somewhere in the manual as it is something an owner may need to deal with. I topped my car up with 0.5 litres of Castrol Edge at 15k miles.

Shell Helix Ultra
Mobil 1 ESP Formula
Quantum LongLife III
Castrol Edge

Reactions: davc and Flying Scotsman
My 1.0 tfsi got 0 - 30 last week.

I assume all models get the same oil?

I would have thought this info is somewhere in the manual as it is something an owner may need to deal with. I topped my car up with 0.5 litres of Castrol Edge at 15k miles.

You'd have thought, but nope it's not in there any more.

Shell Helix Ultra
Mobil 1 ESP Formula
Quantum LongLife III
Castrol Edge

But what is 504.00 - 5W-30, 0W-30?

The dealer claim it's 5W-30 and indeed this is what the spare bottle is. I can believe 0W-30 is also fine as, from my limited understanding, the first 'W' figure is the low-temperature viscosity so there's no harm in it being lower than required.

I don't know what the latter figure means though and, if I go to the Castrol website for example, it allows you to check what oil your car needs and claims my car needs 5W-40 which is different yet again.

Hopeless.

Where you not given/ left some oil on the day of delivery by Audi....?

My S3 2018 which I picked up In September 2017 came with a bottle of 0w-30 as a top up.

Where you not given/ left some oil on the day of delivery by Audi....?

Yep, 5W-30, as mentioned above.

My S3 2018 which I picked up In September 2017 came with a bottle of 0w-30 as a top up.

See, there's the problem - I was given a bottle of 5W-30, whereas you were given 0W-30.

This is ridiculous and why I said I don't trust the dealers. Where the hell is the official word from Audi on this?!

It's a bit inconsistent as Castrol have the 5W30 Edge for the 221kw unit , lol.

Fuchs Oil Chooser says 5W30 .

Vertigo, 5w-40 is 502.00 which is fine for petrol engines on fixed servicing. There should be reference to this grade in your handbook.

0w-30 and 5w-30 will be longlife if they are 504.00/507.00 which dealers use regardless of service regime anyway.

Another option is Millers Nanodrive EE which gets good reviews and is competitively priced if you shop around.

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/ee-longlife-5w30-engine-oil

I can only see 5W-30 oils under 504.00/507.00