oil warning light?

ThemBones24

Reaction score
Hi,
I have this attached oil warning light that keeps beeping whenever we start our 2010 Audi A4. I understand it's somewhat common. Here a summary of events thus far:
- We've had oil changed after first warning.
- We've had oil separator changed
- I've checked the hood (bonnet) sensor and it's showing on dash when opened...so I assume no issue with sensor?
- Oil level gauge on dash shows a blank reading
- One mechanic said it could be oil pressure sensor after oil separator did not resolve. Second mechanic said there was no error codes relating to the oil sensor pressure?

What's interesting is the warning goes away when I start the car with the hood open, but error comes back when I start when closed. I'm starting to wonder if better off disabling the hood sensor and use a universal dip stick for checking oil manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• oil_warning_light.png
    oil_warning_light.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 74
Given it's a level sensor warning, I'd look at the sensor, sensor wiring, bonnet switch & wiring.

Assuming a manual check has been completed of the actual level.

Reactions: audiwaterpump and ThemBones24
Given it's a level sensor warning, I'd look at the sensor, sensor wiring, bonnet switch & wiring.

Assuming a manual check has been completed of the actual level.
We had to bring to the dealer to see what they think. But yes, I think I agree. Has to be sensor or wiring related because the car seems to run fine if you start the car with the hood open.

Best to try and get a hold with someone that can use VCDS to scan, I know with previous experiences some workshop generic scanners would show up with no fault codes, then the Audi/Vw specific scan tools would show up with the faults. If the oil level is fine and you've confirmed, then definitely would question the oil level sensor, Don't use a cheap aftermarket brand, get the OEM/Hella sensor, many have had bad experiences with the aftermarket sensors.

Reactions: audiwaterpump