Ok, so what’s the deal with CarPlay?

shorty1988m

Reaction score
a few years back I was part of the 8P Audi S3 crew but got rid of the car due to lack of use and ended up trading it in for a bike for a bit of fun. Now, I’ve put a deposit down on an ex demonstrator 2019 Audi S3 black edition. That’s the back story so I’ll get into my question.

the car I’ve reserved is a 2019 (19 plate) S3 black edition with virtual cockpit so I’ve got Satnav etc. Through this. It’s also listed with Audi smartphone interface which I believe is standard now. I’ve used an A3 for work a few times and while I loved the cockpit I tend to hate manufacturers nav systems and find CarPlay with google maps is the better option.

now, from what I can tell from 2017 the A3/S3 comes with CarPlay and android auto as standard if you plug in your phone. However, this is never listed under the specs and although I asked about it I can’t remember the answer I was given at the dealership.

so, is CarPlay standard now or will I need to suck it up and deal with the standard maps. It’s not a deal breaker as I like the deal I got but as a Spotify/google maps fan boy I’d like to know.

You'll have Apple Maps/Google maps with carplay (I assume it's the same as AA) however this won't be on the VC display it'll be on your central MMI screen.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
Audi Smart Phone Interface (ASI) = Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Apple opened up the ability for 3rd party maps applications a little while ago so you can now use Apple Maps, Google Maps, WAZE etc etc. I believe the same is available via Android also.

ASI is pretty much standard on all new Audi vehicles in the UK. Please note that unless you have an Audi TT or R8 there is no way to have ASI display within your instrument cluster, only on the centre media display.

You'll have Apple Maps/Google maps with carplay (I assume it's the same as AA) however this won't be on the VC display it'll be on your central MMI screen.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I’m fine with centre display. I’m not a fan of the map on the cockpit for some weird reason. Good to know it’ll have it tho

With CarPlay you can use much better nav apps on iPhone... Manny of them have a speed cameras, landmarks etc...I perfer Sygic and Here maps.
86g5rLL.png