Old shape RS5 help

AlexDR

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of buying an old shape RS5, probably for about 30ishK just to blast around on the weekend (never had a non-turbo V8 before). I'm looking for noise, savage acceleration (without turbo lag) and something that doesn't handle like a barge.

Any opinions, views or advice you can give me? Is this a good idea? Is it 'fun' enough for a weekend car?

All input appreciated.

The RS5 isn't exactly lightweight but it's not a barge either and it's an excellent handling car which goes against logic in that if you drive it right, it doesn't understeer. You can actually hang the tail out on these beasts.

Are you looking at the B8 pre-facelift or a B8.5 facelift (2013-2015)? The facelift cars have updated Mechatronic units and the MMI interface as well. A good aftermarket exhaust will really open things up in the noise department and it's truly a wicked sounding car, one of the best V8's I've heard.

If maintained properly, and facelift, they're very very reliable cars. Buy one with full service records and you should be good.

If you want reassurance go for the RS5 but if you want more fun then the E92 M3 Coupe is the better buy. Especially if it’s just a weekend car.

I'm thinking of getting the same but as a daily.

what sort of increases can you expect from intake, downpipes, capristo exhaust and a remap?

Depending on the tune (remap), you're looking at about 50hp. The best bang for the buck is the Stage 1 JH Motorsports tune. I've been running this tune for a while and made 25 more wheel hp on a dyno. Stage 2, with a TCU tune is imminent and will release more hp, higher redline and a bunch of other improvements. Beyond that, they're looking at E85 (ethanol) which won't matter to anyone outside the U.S., possibly headers, a lightweight 1-piece flywheel and a few other goods. They also make a larger diameter valved exhaust which is, IMO, a better value than the Capristo.

Seat of the pants, it's a night and day difference. The car pulls harder to redline and there's a big bump in the midrange. A stock M4 would walk away from me before the tune and we're about dead even from a roll. I get him on standing starts. I currently have the AWE full exhaust (including downpipes), Eventuri intake and the JHM stage 1 tune. And a carbon clean, LOL. That alone was probably worth another 30-40hp at 80,000 kilometers on the odometer.

TVS out of the Netherlands seems to have some good information but I don't personally know anyone using their software on the RS5. They have a full engine/transmission tune package in stages and seem like they know their stuff.

Reactions: Woob
Depending on the tune (remap), you're looking at about 50hp. The best bang for the buck is the Stage 1 JH Motorsports tune. I've been running this tune for a while and made 25 more wheel hp on a dyno. Stage 2, with a TCU tune is imminent and will release more hp, higher redline and a bunch of other improvements. Beyond that, they're looking at E85 (ethanol) which won't matter to anyone outside the U.S., possibly headers, a lightweight 1-piece flywheel and a few other goods. They also make a larger diameter valved exhaust which is, IMO, a better value than the Capristo.

Seat of the pants, it's a night and day difference. The car pulls harder to redline and there's a big bump in the midrange. A stock M4 would walk away from me before the tune and we're about dead even from a roll. I get him on standing starts. I currently have the AWE full exhaust (including downpipes), Eventuri intake and the JHM stage 1 tune. And a carbon clean, LOL. That alone was probably worth another 30-40hp at 80,000 kilometers on the odometer.

TVS out of the Netherlands seems to have some good information but I don't personally know anyone using their software on the RS5. They have a full engine/transmission tune package in stages and seem like they know their stuff.

How much did your set up cost you?
Seems everything costs a bomb for RS5

The JHM tune is super reasonable, $700 USD. I think the stage 2 TCU tune will be about the same but I'm guessing. With the stage 2 tune, the hp is free, you're really paying for the transmission tune (TCU) which unlocks additional hp. It's crazy how intertwined the code is between the two.

I tend to stay away from the super high dollar parts as there's usually something that works as well for half the cost. We seem to have, generally, less expensive performance parts here in the States than abroad. I don't need polished muffler canisters or even a valved system. You never see polished canisters so it's pointless. My exhaust is straight-through, super efficient and nothing fancy. Just solid hp all the time with no need to toggle the valves open or shut. It's quiet when at neutral throttle and screams (responsibly) at wide open throttle. JHM's products tend to be less expensive and they've made a name for themselves with the naturally aspirated Audis. Their exhaust is valved but it's also $15oo less expensive than say the Capristo. I mean honestly, creating an exhaust for the RS5 is like creating one for a Mustang, pretty simple overall. Really no need for an exhaust to cost $4500 to $6500 USD. The Akra is somewhat worth it due to the fact it's titanium and saves you 50 pounds where the others won't.

If you were to get the JHM tune, stage 1, and JHM exhaust, you're looking at less than $4000 not including shipping and the JHM includes the downpipes. The Eventuri intake is going to add another $2400 and I'm not sure it's worth it. I made more hp with the OEM intakes and drop-in filters. There may be some need for the car to be in motion to see a gain, dunno. Maybe even a custom tune. But on two different occasions, I made a few more hp with the OEM intakes. Looking at the filter surface area side by side, I don't realistically see how the OEM intake can outperform the Eventuri intake.