Omy193's AUDI A3 3.2 V6 DSG BIG BUILD THREAD! *PANROOF RETROFIT* *S3 FACELIFT CONVERSION*

Looks like you did a better job at wrapping the pillars than i did. The cars pulling through amazingly and the tint just makes it look that much more better. Can i ask, how did you manage to get the tints on without having a slight gap on rear window and rear quarters. Also what shade are the rears. Does look like factory tint minus the fronts.
I think the red paint does need tinted tail lights otherwise it blends in a little with the paint .Have a look at this S3 wrapped by polish and glow in Manchester. they spray tinted the tail lights which look decent.

That diffuser does look good though. Was it a simple clip on to the existing bumper or did you replace it with facelift one?

Looks like you did a better job at wrapping the pillars than i did. The cars pulling through amazingly and the tint just makes it look that much more better. Can i ask, how did you manage to get the tints on without having a slight gap on rear window and rear quarters. Also what shade are the rears. Does look like factory tint minus the fronts.
I think the red paint does need tinted tail lights otherwise it blends in a little with the paint .Have a look at this S3 wrapped by polish and glow in Manchester. they spray tinted the tail lights which look decent.

That diffuser does look good though. Was it a simple clip on to the existing bumper or did you replace it with facelift one?

I went to local scrap yard today to pick up a rear wiper motor and funily enough he had the actual gloss black trims on the car. He wanted £20 for the pair but I left them as I’ve already wrapped mine now lol.

Yeah a light smoke on the rear lights would look a lot better, the film the guy used at the tint shop was just way too dark, he did used to have a lighter shade before but don’t think he had any in stock. Maybe will get some and attempt myself one of the days but for now will leave oem.

They measure and cut the film with it on the outside of the glass first to get to the edges and then stick it on the inside without any gaps.

Front windows tinted 60%
Rear windows tinted 95% (limo)
Rear screen glass tinted 80% (difficult to see out of it when its limo)
Front screen tinted 50%

The diffuser and side skirts were both fibre glass as the genuines were way to expensive.
To be honest well pleased with the diffuser, it came out better than we expected! It is just a tad longer on one side but only if you look real close, most wont notice.
Had to remove the bumper to get old diffuser/bottom half off and then slight modification to get this one to fit. Mainly drilling small holes through the clips and putting screws through to keep it held in place.

Hmmm ... I'm now not sure .... as I said in a previous post I prefer sleepers, so I'll tread carefully.

In my mind, the rear black window is now the anchor point and everything on this view needs to align with it shade wise. ie not the same black but variations on it.

I'd have preferred a lighter rear screen as the pure black is is a bit full on. However, you could trial tint the rear lenses with a 50% tint to see if this compliments.

I'll keep out of this thread publicaly from now on as folks mods are personal. If you want to chat further then, by all means, pm me.

To be honest I’d never go lighter than 80% tint on rear screen as you can see into the car from behind very easily then, main point of tints is privacy is it not lol?

As mentioned before, opinions are very welcome, afterall thats why we’re here so feel free with your thoughts!

Where did you get the tints from? Were they EBay tints?

Slight issue with number plate light if anyone can help?

As I have replaced one of my reg lamps with a reverse camera with a built in led, I now need to match the otherside lamp with an LED bulb that is around the same light output / shade.

I know the complete LED units can be purchased to replace the original lamp, however they are super bright and will leave one side way brighter than the other.

I've tried replacing the original yellow bulb with an LED bulb, the light output/colour shade was spot on, however it throws up an error on dash and then cuts out power to reg lights and as I've retrofitted facelift LED rear lights with inners spliced into reg lights for power, it cuts them out too.
Had to put the yellow bulb back in to get power to rear lights (inners) again.

So currently I have one side of the number plate white and the other yellow which looks really odd :sos:

@t8ups Do you do error free bulbs for the Audi's or complete LED units only?

LOVE IT!

Great work dude, looking forward to whats to come :D

Reactions: Omy193
Few updates from this week:

Fitted the 2 tone leather interior along with door cards:

Door cards came with piano black trims and the facelift chrome switches which was a double win!
Switches feel fairly new and 'tight' so to say:

For some reason the wiring loom with the new door cards was slightly different to the old loom. When plugged in, none of the switches ect would work, so swapped over the loom from old door cars into these.
Also took the opportunity to retrofit door warning and puddle lights while the door cards were off:

Not much else this weekend, waiting for a new ballast to arrive to get the passenger side headlight up and working again.
Managed to get a pair of facelift wing mirrors at a very good price which turned up the other day. Need to get them sprayed black before fitting.
Also keeping an eye out for a flat bottom steering wheel as that's the only main thing left to complete the interior.

Exterior wise, still deciding which coilovers to go for which is next on the list as the ride height is getting annoying now, as well as needing to spray front slam bar to black as it sticks out being silver and ruins the look of the front end.
Not figured out what to do about the one reverse light which is yellow, any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Will end this post with a couple pics, still not put a front plate on :busted cop:

Reactions: RS4B5
That paint looks like candy red and it looks gangsta with pan roof and tinted windows all round. Honestly speaking, this is by far the best transformation ive seen. I bet you've literally ticked all the factory options now in terms of features. Show this car to anybody and they wont believe this car is 10 years old.

That paint looks like candy red and it looks gangsta with pan roof and tinted windows all round. Honestly speaking, this is by far the best transformation ive seen. I bet you've literally ticked all the factory options now in terms of features. Show this car to anybody and they wont believe this car is 10 years old.
Big respect!

Outside it needs to be lowered and new exhaust tips aswell as putting the facelift wing mirrors on to get it finished

Thinking of putting a silver/chrome audi badge on the front, I’ve never been a fan of black badge on a black grill, you can’t even see it!

Interior needs a flat bottom steering wheel real bad now, only main thing left!

I’ve even got the aluminium pedals and S3 S-Tronic gearknob to go on yet lol

Also got S3 clocks but cant get fuel needle to work, being a quattro its not as straight forward to wire it up, may need to change fuel pump and senders but again im not too sure so could do with advise on that

Can’t believe its a 54 reg myself anymore until I see the steering wheel and clocks :wtf:

Great work lovely looking motor mate,

With regards to your issue with number plate lights have a quick scan through my thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-owner-after-some-advice.356936/#post-3167894
Thats to get rid of the hyper flash when lights are off.

Details in there on how you can use a relay and old bulb or resister to fool the bulb chec, and make sure you get dome half decent Canbus error free leds's.

Great work lovely looking motor mate,

With regards to your issue with number plate lights have a quick scan through my thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-owner-after-some-advice.356936/#post-3167894
Thats to get rid of the hyper flash when lights are off.

Details in there on how you can use a relay and old bulb or resister to fool the bulb chec, and make sure you get dome half decent Canbus error free leds's.

Thanks for the compliments!

Im not fussed about the lights flickering as my rear lights + number plates are set as DRL's so turn on with ignition.
Its the actual error that is bothering me as it cuts out power to both numberplate lights as well as my retrofitted inner LED rear lights which are wired to the number plate lights!

I've ordered some bulbs from the bay which hopefully are error free and not too bright so the light output matches that of reverse camera LED.
Looks so odd having one white LED and one yellow!

Your thread was great however! You guys went some lengths haha!

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
Big respect!

Outside it needs to be lowered and new exhaust tips aswell as putting the facelift wing mirrors on to get it finished

Thinking of putting a silver/chrome audi badge on the front, I’ve never been a fan of black badge on a black grill, you can’t even see it!

Interior needs a flat bottom steering wheel real bad now, only main thing left!

I’ve even got the aluminium pedals and S3 S-Tronic gearknob to go on yet lol

Also got S3 clocks but cant get fuel needle to work, being a quattro its not as straight forward to wire it up, may need to change fuel pump and senders but again im not too sure so could do with advise on that

Can’t believe its a 54 reg myself anymore until I see the steering wheel and clocks :wtf:

Are you going coilovers or springs. Also i think the prefacelift wing mirrors look better because of the shape. But thats just me lol.

Yea i think chrome logo keeps it looking factory. Have you seen led audi logos? What do you think of them on your grill?

Are you going with s3 8p wheel or 8v style?

With regards to clocks, ive seen a video of 0-60 of a remapped a3 tdi. There was a clip of the speedo and they had TT clocks which looked really nice. Having a quick search it seems like they both use the same connector. Im guessing a retrofit may be possible. Ill try link the vid if i find it again. Anyways, good luck with the s3 clocks.

Honestly, looking at your car gives me motivation to facelift mine and do more stuff but then i realise i have just enough money to run my car

Are you going coilovers or springs. Also i think the prefacelift wing mirrors look better because of the shape. But thats just me lol.

Yea i think chrome logo keeps it looking factory. Have you seen led audi logos? What do you think of them on your grill?

Are you going with s3 8p wheel or 8v style?

With regards to clocks, ive seen a video of 0-60 of a remapped a3 tdi. There was a clip of the speedo and they had TT clocks which looked really nice. Having a quick search it seems like they both use the same connector. Im guessing a retrofit may be possible. Ill try link the vid if i find it again. Anyways, good luck with the s3 clocks.

Honestly, looking at your car gives me motivation to facelift mine and do more stuff but then i realise i have just enough money to run my car

Will definitely be going coilovers as with springs only a 30mm drop can be achieved which is not enough haha.
Might consider S Line shocks and then springs, not too sure yet, still considering options.

The LED grill badge looks like a pile of sh**
A big no no from me, I seen a few and I always curse lol!

8V wheel cant be fitted into 8P.
1. The buttons won't work
2. 8V uses a single stage airbag where as the 8P uses dual stage (with the exception of the 53/04 A3's which used single stage)

However a Flatbottom from a facelift A4/A5 black edition can be used and looks similar to 8V.
All about what comes about at a decent price, the price of airbag alone is close to £200!

Theres a thread on the forum where Nigel (NHN) retrofitted facelift clocks with white DIS display to his 2005 8P TDi, he explain the process in more detail.
But as mine is quattro its not that simple (fuel pump, fuel senders ect) ...will see what happens

Pre facelift have indicators in the wings, on the facelift theres no indicators in the wings any more, instead they are located in the wing mirrors, if you notice, the car doesn't have any side indicators at the moment :whistle2::busted cop:

Work hard, put the effort in and anything is possible!

We wouldn't have done this conversion on any other A3, as this is the 3.2 it was worth doing in my opinion as it wont loose too much value.
Plus me and my brother did a lot of work ourselves too which saves a lot of costs!

Cheers mate not done it myself yet nit had the time but its on the list! Very much trial and error with the leds, I tried to get a link for mine but I couldnt find them. Went through two sets before I got a working pair. I bet the colour difference was driving you nuts!

Cheers mate not done it myself yet nit had the time but its on the list! Very much trial and error with the leds, I tried to get a link for mine but I couldnt find them. Went through two sets before I got a working pair. I bet the colour difference was driving you nuts!
Ah right, hopefully you get it sorted soon.
Colour difference is still driving me nuts!
I had to put the yellow bulb back in to get the rear lights working again!
So at the moment one half of the rear registration is illuminated white with the other half yellow, looks real cr*p!

I've posted on your thread some pics of how wind defectors looked on my A6 as I saw you wanted to know :superman:

Will definitely be going coilovers as with springs only a 30mm drop can be achieved which is not enough haha.
Might consider S Line shocks and then springs, not too sure yet, still considering options.

The LED grill badge looks like a pile of sh**
A big no no from me, I seen a few and I always curse lol!

8V wheel cant be fitted into 8P.
1. The buttons won't work
2. 8V uses a single stage airbag where as the 8P uses dual stage (with the exception of the 53/04 A3's which used single stage)

However a Flatbottom from a facelift A4/A5 black edition can be used and looks similar to 8V.
All about what comes about at a decent price, the price of airbag alone is close to £200!

Theres a thread on the forum where Nigel (NHN) retrofitted facelift clocks with white DIS display to his 2005 8P TDi, he explain the process in more detail.
But as mine is quattro its not that simple (fuel pump, fuel senders ect) ...will see what happens

Pre facelift have indicators in the wings, on the facelift theres no indicators in the wings any more, instead they are located in the wing mirrors, if you notice, the car doesn't have any side indicators at the moment :whistle2::busted cop:

Work hard, put the effort in and anything is possible!

We wouldn't have done this conversion on any other A3, as this is the 3.2 it was worth doing in my opinion as it wont loose too much value.
Plus me and my brother did a lot of work ourselves too which saves a lot of costs!

Your right, the 3.2 quattro is a perfect base. From the pictures ive seen its got auto lights and wipers and cruise control. Along with pan roof i dont think it could get a better specced 3.2 a3.

Besides what is the difference between prefacelift and facelift wings? They look identical to me.

Ive just had a look at a4/a5 steeering wheels. They do look nice but i think the 8p steering looks better as it has more chrome and should be easier to fit too. Then again flat bottom steering wheels are really expensive and your right about the airbag too.

Im not too good with suspension and stuff but ive had my eye on eibach prokit springs and bilstien b4 shocks as theyre black and look like oem replacements. So technically because theyre oem replacements, dont think ill have to inform insurance well the bilsiten is anyways.
The bilstien b4 supposedly are a decent upgrade ontop of normal shocks and have great reviews.

Ive found the link to the tt cluster in a a3 8p. Although the clip of the speedo is in the dark, it does look like a tt cluster because of the reflections. I dont know if it was retrofitted or they took a vid of a tt. But its got me thinking if it is possible.

Your right, the 3.2 quattro is a perfect base. From the pictures ive seen its got auto lights and wipers and cruise control. Along with pan roof i dont think it could get a better specced 3.2 a3.

Besides what is the difference between prefacelift and facelift wings? They look identical to me.

Ive just had a look at a4/a5 steeering wheels. They do look nice but i think the 8p steering looks better as it has more chrome and should be easier to fit too. Then again flat bottom steering wheels are really expensive and your right about the airbag too.

Im not too good with suspension and stuff but ive had my eye on eibach prokit springs and bilstien b4 shocks as theyre black and look like oem replacements. So technically because theyre oem replacements, dont think ill have to inform insurance well the bilsiten is anyways.
The bilstien b4 supposedly are a decent upgrade ontop of normal shocks and have great reviews.

Ive found the link to the tt cluster in a a3 8p. Although the clip of the speedo is in the dark, it does look like a tt cluster because of the reflections. I dont know if it was retrofitted or they took a vid of a tt. But its got me thinking if it is possible.

Yeah came factory fitted with auto lights/wipers, cruise control and heated seats.
Plus being a 3.2 dsg, it was the perfect base car to fit a panroof and do the conversion

Facelift wings are slightly different at the front where they meet the headlights as the facelift headlights are a slightly different shape.

Yeah lowering springs be the cheaper and easiest option for yourself.

That cluster in vid looks nice! Got a feeling it might be a TT one but never seen one in an a3 before :shrug:

Lol yea, lowering springs and dampers cost alot less than what ive seen for coilovers

Ive got a bit of damage on my passenger wing and thought of i should leave if for now and save up for facelift. But i think its more cost effective to get it fixed and just get prefacelift s3 bumper to make it look half decent.

Heres a tt cluster
Screenshot 20180226 000657

Screenshot 20180226 000659

And heres a normal a3 cluster
Screenshot 20180226 000740

Screenshot 20180226 000747

The connecters seem exatcly the same. However the tt cluster looks sooo much better. The shape even looks the same too. I think it should just be a matter of fitting upper steering column trim from the tt. But then again, cant prove anything can fit by looking and pics lol

Few updates from this week:

Fitted the 2 tone leather interior along with door cards:

Door cards came with piano black trims and the facelift chrome switches which was a double win!
Switches feel fairly new and 'tight' so to say:

For some reason the wiring loom with the new door cards was slightly different to the old loom. When plugged in, none of the switches ect would work, so swapped over the loom from old door cars into these.
Also took the opportunity to retrofit door warning and puddle lights while the door cards were off:

Not much else this weekend, waiting for a new ballast to arrive to get the passenger side headlight up and working again.
Managed to get a pair of facelift wing mirrors at a very good price which turned up the other day. Need to get them sprayed black before fitting.
Also keeping an eye out for a flat bottom steering wheel as that's the only main thing left to complete the interior.

Exterior wise, still deciding which coilovers to go for which is next on the list as the ride height is getting annoying now, as well as needing to spray front slam bar to black as it sticks out being silver and ruins the look of the front end.
Not figured out what to do about the one reverse light which is yellow, any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Will end this post with a couple pics, still not put a front plate on :busted cop:

This looks amazing man! I now recognise yours from my lowering/ alloys thread :)

I've never been one for red cars but this does look gorgeous, especially with the black colour coded parts, very authentic! Sleek and mean too. In those garage pictures you arch gap looks fine to me. It's just in the day isn't it when the gap is all 'lit up'. I also think the same about mine at night. Amazing work!

Lol yea, lowering springs and dampers cost alot less than what ive seen for coilovers

Ive got a bit of damage on my passenger wing and thought of i should leave if for now and save up for facelift. But i think its more cost effective to get it fixed and just get prefacelift s3 bumper to make it look half decent.

Heres a tt cluster
View attachment 151169
View attachment 151171
And heres a normal a3 cluster
View attachment 151172
View attachment 151170
The connecters seem exatcly the same. However the tt cluster looks sooo much better. The shape even looks the same too. I think it should just be a matter of fitting upper steering column trim from the tt. But then again, cant prove anything can fit by looking and pics lol

Its probably better to just fix/replace your current wing
The facelift a3’s are coming down in price now so instead of doing a conversion it’ll be a lot easier and cost effective to buy one!

As i say i would have never done a full conversion on a normal a3 as it would have been a lot easier to buy a facelift, but the 3.2’s never came in facelift so thats what makes this unique.

TT clocks do look nice, had a tt couple of years ago and did a few mods to that (pics in first post)
Will see if a cheap set of TT clocks pop up and just see if they fit.

This looks amazing man! I now recognise yours from my lowering/ alloys thread :)

I've never been one for red cars but this does look gorgeous, especially with the black colour coded parts, very authentic! Sleek and mean too. In those garage pictures you arch gap looks fine to me. It's just in the day isn't it when the gap is all 'lit up'. I also think the same about mine at night. Amazing work!

Thanks mate, appreciate the comments!

It definitely is sitting too high and will be getting lowered quite a bit soon.

Still work in progress and few things left to do, but we getting there slowly lol

Not done much since the last update (interior fit)

Finally got a new ballast so headlights are both up and running
For some reason an error is still coming up “LEFT MAIN BEAM HEADLIGHT”

It wasn’t there before, so I guess the bulb maybe on its way out although it still works fine with no issues. Will try a new bulb and see if that cures the error.

Fitted a new range control module but still getting the error on dash, driving me absolutely insane so have just pulled the fuse out and errors gone, just going to leave the fuse out for the meanwhile.

Wrapped the gear surround in gloss carbon and also did the ashtray delete.
Needed the space for keys, papers, change ect so well worth it!

f259a076b5f919baa916bc0d2123909f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So finally ordered a set of AP coilovers from @DPM 10/10 service from them guys and although they quoted 5 working days to arrive from Germany, they came within 2 days!
Well pleased!

ab9db9cd0a223cf9c51c4785f6e709cd.jpg

All fitted up Saturday with new top mounts, link bars ect

Adjusted the coilovers just roughly and drove it off the ramp.
They do need to be adjusted properly as they are un-even all around so need to get around to that lol.

But managed to get a few shots as the weather was nice:

8dbca02bcfadcdb5585dc18e9e8f0167.jpg

9cd8d94898de69c2d8b21fc48f882ab0.jpg

e284ce2b990f7b1f9d3e876e8e6b8bb4.jpg

5d5f084882ff8efabffe41cd42004f47.jpg

334d237add9a1c2a4375e03ac431e4a9.jpg

Lowering has made a huge difference and transformed the look once again!
The stance is just perfect!
Obviously as mentioned still needs tweaking to get the gap equal all around

Also fitted aluminium pedals:
09c12da2e33fdc7306e99a658b238801.jpg

Have got a pair of facelift wing mirrors which are getting sprayed gloss black and then fitting them soon hopefully.

Interior urgently requires a flat bottom steering wheel to be complete, thats the main thing to do next.

As always, thoughts, comments, opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Reactions: RS4B5 and millsy4002
Deffo need the chrome rings to break up the front

Deffo need the chrome rings to break up the front

Yeah completely agree, grill came with the bumper as it is, but will be removing the black audi badge and fitting the chrome one soon

Reactions: millsy4002
Also finally blacked out the slam bar behind the grill, front end definitely looks more “official” now

0a857d0b048ea5e4c0ac0f30ce23cae5.jpg

Chrome audi rings to go on soon, does anyone know if the chrome audi rings are the same across all a3 grills or different?

Reactions: RS4B5
Wow, honestly this car looks absolutely mint. How is it on coilovers. And also where did you get the pedals from.

Wow, honestly this car looks absolutely mint. How is it on coilovers. And also where did you get the pedals from.
Its really good on AP coilovers.
They’re german coilys so very good quality and comfortable ride.
They’re cheaper options out there, but for the sake of couple hundred pounds its not worth compromising on quality especially as so much time, effort and money has gone into the car.

Pedals along with almost every other part I got, were from ebay lol
Part number for accelerator pedal: 1K2723503
Brake pedal: 1k2723143

However could well be different for manual cars as on autos accelerator pedal has the kickdown button and brake pedal is larger.

Accelerator pedal was from a scirocco dsg
Brake pedal from a golf gti mk5
Pedals are the same across vag range (vw, audi, skoda, seat) so can be cheaper to buy pedal from a scirocco/gti as opposed to an s3.

Both pedals cost me just under £45 so can be found cheap.

So finally ordered a set of AP coilovers from @DPM 10/10 service from them guys and although they quoted 5 working days to arrive from Germany, they came within 2 days!
Well pleased!

ab9db9cd0a223cf9c51c4785f6e709cd.jpg

All fitted up Saturday with new top mounts, link bars ect

Adjusted the coilovers just roughly and drove it off the ramp.
They do need to be adjusted properly as they are un-even all around so need to get around to that lol.

But managed to get a few shots as the weather was nice:

8dbca02bcfadcdb5585dc18e9e8f0167.jpg

9cd8d94898de69c2d8b21fc48f882ab0.jpg

e284ce2b990f7b1f9d3e876e8e6b8bb4.jpg

5d5f084882ff8efabffe41cd42004f47.jpg

334d237add9a1c2a4375e03ac431e4a9.jpg

Lowering has made a huge difference and transformed the look once again!
The stance is just perfect!
Obviously as mentioned still needs tweaking to get the gap equal all around

Also fitted aluminium pedals:
09c12da2e33fdc7306e99a658b238801.jpg

Have got a pair of facelift wing mirrors which are getting sprayed gloss black and then fitting them soon hopefully.

Interior urgently requires a flat bottom steering wheel to be complete, thats the main thing to do next.

As always, thoughts, comments, opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Looks great now it's lowered! Hard to tell as the car is on grass but, in my opinion, the height that the front is in the last picture would be perfect on the car for all 4 corners. Looks-wise anyway!

Also +1 on the chrome rings at the front, bit too much black emptiness for me. The aluminium pedals are a lovely touch!

Thanks mate

Yeah, the back is sitting a bit too low and needs to go a little higher, as I say fitted the kit Saturday evening and adjusted them roughly without any real measurement and straight off the ramp lol

Iv always been against a black front badge on audi's as I think the chrome rings are the main centre piece / focus point for the front end.
Will be getting a chrome one on before the end of the week hopefully! Just trying to figure out if the front badge is the same across all a3/a4/a5 ect..hmmm

You can get the pedals brand new for £55 from Skoda as the Skoda Octavia uses the same pedals. I got mine from Horton Skoda.

You can get the pedals brand new for £55 from Skoda as the Skoda Octavia uses the same pedals. I got mine from Horton Skoda.
Really? I knew pedals would be the same, but not that cheap brand new from the dealers!
Is that £55 each pedal or for a set?

Last edited:
Mine's DSG. I'm sure they can source pedals for a manual should you want it?
Ah right, mines DSG, i thought maybe the price was for manual pedals.
£55 is an absolute bargain for brand new aluminium DSG pedals!
If you have a look on ebay at some of the prices you'll be shocked! (£100+)

Ah right, mines DSG, i thought maybe the price was for manual pedals.
£55 is an absolute bargain for brand new aluminium DSG pedals!
If you have a look on ebay at some of the prices you'll be shocked! (£100+)

For real! I've got a couple sets of pedals watched on Ebay, both are over £100 for just the manual set!