On average, what are the running costs on an audi a3

Ok so I have just the 1.6 (5gears) and have had it for about two years. On motorway runs I can get about 41/43mpg and that includes a little blast now and again. On my 2nd trip which I have never reset is showing 36.2mpg over the two years.

With £65 in the tank I can sometimes get about 350/375miles.

My insurance is £500 per year (22years old with 5years NCB. It also includes my girlfriend who is 21 with 3years NCB)

The interim service cost me £180 a few months ago.

I've really liked my car and some days it surprises me with the power it has for a small engine, but as others have said its not the most economic of the range.

I think it all depends how you drive how many mpg it does plus I don't have the a/c on very often too

Ok so I have just the 1.6 (5gears) and have had it for about two years. On motorway runs I can get about 41/43mpg and that includes a little blast now and again. On my 2nd trip which I have never reset is showing 36.2mpg over the two years.

With £65 in the tank I can sometimes get about 350/375miles.

My insurance is £500 per year (22years old with 5years NCB. It also includes my girlfriend who is 21 with 3years NCB)

The interim service cost me £180 a few months ago.

I've really liked my car and some days it surprises me with the power it has for a small engine, but as others have said its not the most economic of the range.

Well i'll be 22 with 5 years soon so what insurance group are you with £500 is a good price?

ahhhhhhh well if i buy it i won't be modifying just yet! Could anybody give me a rough estimate of how much Audi charge for a cam belt and water pump change?

ahhhhhhh well if i buy it i won't be modifying just yet! Could anybody give me a rough estimate of how much Audi charge for a cam belt and water pump change?
got the be the best part of £350 i would have thought bud , my mate had a golf SDI cam belt changed in VW and that cost him £300 , i would phone audi and ask them

got the be the best part of £350 i would have thought bud , my mate had a golf SDI cam belt changed in VW and that cost him £300 , i would phone audi and ask them

yeah giving them a ring tomorrow mate. apparently they have timing chains and not cam belts. surely they still need to be changed though?

yeah giving them a ring tomorrow mate. apparently they have timing chains and not cam belts. surely they still need to be changed though?

The FSI has a timing chain rather than belt which is designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle

ok thanks, what about the water pump then when is this supposed to be changed on the FSI?

ok thanks. What about the water pump then when is that supposed to be changed on an FSI?

FAO FRAN :whistle2:
2011-11-20153246.jpg

is it? it was on another setting saying 200mpg i thought what the hell is that.

The 1.6 is bad on economy as far as Im concerned. If I drive over 30 miles, I may get 37mpg (of which, I think the computer in an A3 over-reads by 10% or so...). If I get stuck in traffic, it really drops. Round town, without hammering it, I will get 32mpg ish.

Im guessing that you're not buying a new one? So why not look at the diesel? Better MPG, more power, and a nice lump of torque midrange. My brother has a 1.4TFSI A3, and that's much better than my 1.6 on fuel (nearly as good as the diesels), its got 20 odd bhp more, so its a bit quicker too, and it doesnt sound like a diesel.

I do like my 1.6 though. If I was in the same position I was when I bought it, I would buy it again! I think its nice to drive, it's responsive, reliable, solid, smooth and revvy. Powerwise, its nothing special, and often gets bad write up's because of how bad it is for economy, and it's in a relatively high tax band. Mine isn't the FSI though, although my friend has an FSI and he thinks his is slower than mine, sounds worse, and he only gets 30mpg - the only real advantage is it's 6th gear.

Well what i might be getting very soon is the FSI, all the diesels are a lot more money and higher mileage. Now you've put doubts in my mind :p im really not fussed about speed anyway can't use it anywhere. Im just after a nice reliable solid car. with relatively good. i never go on the motorway so a diesel wouldn't benefit me that much, by the time the engine has warmed up, im half way to work.

Who else has a 1.6 fsi who can comment on the fuel costs?

im really not fussed about speed anyway can't use it anywhere.

...I agree when it comes to top end as it is pretty pointless really. But acceleration is used everyday in various situations... i.e. getting on to busy roundabout, pulling away, etc etc.

My old 2.0FSI was pretty shocking (in a bad way) when pulling away from standstill. I've never been in a 1.6 but if its a lot worse than a 2.0 then.. :crying:

Basically, I'd think long and hard before deciding on an engine. I started off with a 2.0 FSI and soon got bored of it so changed it for a 2.0 TFSI.

Well what i might be getting very soon is the FSI, all the diesels are a lot more money and higher mileage. Now you've put doubts in my mind :p im really not fussed about speed anyway can't use it anywhere. Im just after a nice reliable solid car. with relatively good. i never go on the motorway so a diesel wouldn't benefit me that much, by the time the engine has warmed up, im half way to work.

Who else has a 1.6 fsi who can comment on the fuel costs?

Right okay, yeah you will be fine with it then! Its nice to drive, solid, reliable, and is fairly cheap to insure. So, the extra it may cost you in fuel, you will save on insurance, and it doesnt sound like a diesel. It's nippy enough, gets upto speed okay, so should be fine for you! My average MPG thing says 32.9mpg, and thats a lot of Dual Carriageway driving / town driving, and bits of motorway (I do 65 miles a day, (10 motorway, 10 town, 40ish Dual Carriageway).

Go for it mate.

Right okay, yeah you will be fine with it then! Its nice to drive, solid, reliable, and is fairly cheap to insure. So, the extra it may cost you in fuel, you will save on insurance, and it doesnt sound like a diesel. It's nippy enough, gets upto speed okay, so should be fine for you! My average MPG thing says 32.9mpg, and thats a lot of Dual Carriageway driving / town driving, and bits of motorway (I do 65 miles a day, (10 motorway, 10 town, 40ish Dual Carriageway).

Go for it mate.

Well on my last MOT certificate, from one year to the last i did around 3500 miles! so mileage isnt a massive issue, however i have a new job which is a little bit further than my last but i would say i do no more than 30 a day, im 21 so going for anything bigger and insurance gets quite high. more than i would like to pay anyway

given the choice i would buy a TDI but the 1.6fsi i have now is fine for now it does all i need I'm 30 now not 17 so speeding isn't my thing or racing around I'm happy just to cruise around , fuel is just too much to hammer any car now no matter what it is petrol or diesel

...I agree when it comes to top end as it is pretty pointless really. But acceleration is used everyday in various situations... i.e. getting on to busy roundabout, pulling away, etc etc.

My old 2.0FSI was pretty shocking (in a bad way) when pulling away from standstill. I've never been in a 1.6 but if its a lot worse than a 2.0 then.. :crying:

Basically, I'd think long and hard before deciding on an engine. I started off with a 2.0 FSI and soon got bored of it so changed it for a 2.0 TFSI.

i see your point but like i said, im 21 and the bigger engines start to make insurance steep, having said that the 2.0 diesel wasn't much different in price but at the end of the day speed really doesn't bother me. the bigger engines like that added a lot of price onto the car so im very happy with what i'll be getting. im sure there is enough speed in it to pull out safely

Gave this lark a bash today in my 1.4 TFSI.. 15 miles of sensible motor way driving with some roads too! It's also being run on normal petrol - Can't really see myself doing 70+MPG on VPower though?

Reactions: nally
Gave this lark a bash today in my 1.4 TFSI.. 15 miles of sensible motor way driving with some roads too! It's also being run on normal petrol - Can't really see myself doing 70+MPG on VPower though?

can't complain at that buddy i would be happy with that mpg

can't complain at that buddy i would be happy with that mpg

Yeah it was actually at 72mpg for awhile then It went uphill so I lost it all :( I'm very tempted to try running it on VPower though, would it make a difference?

Yeah it was actually at 72mpg for awhile then It went uphill so I lost it all :( I'm very tempted to try running it on VPower though, would it make a difference?
always the way lol , well i run mine on tesco momentum and i get around 7-8 mpg more so its a little more expensive (ok a lot) but over time it pays , won't make a difference right away it takes a while for it to start working , should also get a small increase in power too nothing big tho lol , its your choice tho to run it or not with the fsi engine audi recommend to run on higher octane fuel anyway it says so inside the petrol flap

I have a 1.6 and i average around 35-40 mpg.. To put a long journey in perspective i live in hartlepool in the north east and to travel to
Stoke on trent which is around 160 mile away, i used 1/4 of a tank to get there

always the way lol , well i run mine on tesco momentum and i get around 7-8 mpg more so its a little more expensive (ok a lot) but over time it pays , won't make a difference right away it takes a while for it to start working , should also get a small increase in power too nothing big tho lol , its your choice tho to run it or not with the fsi engine audi recommend to run on higher octane fuel anyway it says so inside the petrol flap

Yeah I might give it a try then mate? How long do you think it will take to start working? I only run is on shell fuelsave, but i'm doing 60 - 70 miles a day so thought it's worth a try! I nearly got a 2.0tdi for mpg and mid range torque but I thought this engine was ideal as i'm 18, same power but a revvy petrol!

Also whats the difference between an fsi and a standard engine?

Edit : Just read apparently a new 1.4 tfsi is coming out.. runs on 2 cylinders 70% of the time!

Last edited:
I have a 1.6 and i average around 35-40 mpg.. To put a long journey in perspective i live in hartlepool in the north east and to travel to
Stoke on trent which is around 160 mile away, i used 1/4 of a tank to get there

So your doing over 600 miles to a tank in a 1.6?!

Yeah I might give it a try then mate? How long do you think it will take to start working? I only run is on shell fuelsave, but i'm doing 60 - 70 miles a day so thought it's worth a try! I nearly got a 2.0tdi for mpg and mid range torque but I thought this engine was ideal as i'm 18, same power but a revvy petrol!

Also whats the difference between an fsi and a standard engine?

Edit : Just read apparently a new 1.4 tfsi is coming out.. runs on 2 cylinders 70% of the time!
the fsi engine is direct injection its gives more power with a cleaner burn so that = more power = less emissions = more mpg = less road tax = happy face , ah yeah the cylinder shut off seen a video on that god vw are good at this aren't they

Really? It just doesn't make sense why they scrapped it and kept the standard 1.6 which is very bad on fuel!

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Fran, i've tried reading up on it before and it was talking about a cloud forming in the piston?!

Good luck with picking up the car - Don't forget to get some pics up!

So your doing over 600 miles to a tank in a 1.6?!

Yeah ofcourse, that's at a steady 60-65 on the motorway due to weather conditions, but the odd spert to overtake, i meanmost of that was motorway driving, but around town i find it's efficient aswell, half decent mpg, smooth, loves to rev and i find it's quite nippy, the thing with diesels is in first gear there is no power, it's all torque.

Also i'm 19 so it's easy on insurance!

will do, ill get them in here as soon as i get a chance to get some decent ones cleaned

Really? It just doesn't make sense why they scrapped it and kept the standard 1.6 which is very bad on fuel!

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Fran, i've tried reading up on it before and it was talking about a cloud forming in the piston?!

Good luck with picking up the car - Don't forget to get some pics up!
no probs mate i read up on it myself when i bought mine was so glad i got the fsi and not the normal 1.6 lol