One for low rear end avants , well low any variant really.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening chaps,
Here's one for those of you that suffer from the dreaded low rear end drop on their Avant etc.
It used to be an issue with my old Quattro bus but since changing to Bilstein B8 dampers and H&R l45mm drop springs a few years back it was almost unnoticeable until recently when it seems to have dropped slightly.
On a mission to get to the bottom of the problem, I jacked the backup and compressed one of the rear springs enough to get at the rubber dampers, sure enough, they had become somewhat deformed to the point where one side was almost worn away.
It may not seem that relevant on the scale of things but when we're talking a few MM then approx 5mmish loss in bung height will make a difference to the ride height.

armed with the part numbers for upper and lower spring bungs I managed to get two pairs for both sides from my local Audi dealer albeit they got them from TPS.
At just over £50 for the 4 not silly expensive for OE parts, but at least it solves the problem, and let's be honest, how many of us have ever replaced them either when upgrading spring etc or because of low ride height problems, it never crossed my mind to be an issue until I really thought about what causing the drop and getting up and close to see what was going on.

so check yours, it was the source of my problem so maybe be applicable to others in the same boat, worth a look even if it just eliminates them as a cause.

Anyway another job to do this weekend, oh what joys..lol
IMG 3363 2

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper, KeirW and Jamsmoo
Good find Rob.
Do you have the part numbers and you can you get them off with the compressed spring still in place?
They're called "perches", I think.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
part numbers are :
8E0-512-149P
8E0-512-297J

if you are running lowered springs then with the compressor you can get them out and change over , well the old ones wether the new ones will go in as easily remains to been seen, may have to lower the rear subframe just a bit, not a massive problem though.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Mine are in a bad way, i noticed when i had an emergency spring replacement session a couple of months back but didnt have the time to sort them at the time. Will do it one day, when i remember...

You maybe surprised how much they affect the ride height Alex.
Best do them at some point before they just fall apart.

After swapping my springs i did think mine looked a bit squished and beat up ,just ordered mine Audi notts 52.87

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mine this afternoon but I've forgotten how to do it..lol , well the easy way that is.

I’ve found taking out the lower arm bolts as opposed to the camber adjustment bolt works better ,also calliper and disk off gives far better access

I really struggled the 1st time ,2nd time with a different approach I didn’t even need to back off the subframe bolts

I’ve just seen what day it is, maybe giving it it a miss today, I’m not superstitious or anything but Sod’s law today will be an exception .

• Haha
Reactions: Fully
I’ve just seen what day it is, maybe giving it it a miss today, I’m not superstitious or anything but Sod’s law today will be an exception .
i've got the same thing in my head, thinking about attempting to get the rest of the bearing off my steering knuckle when i finish work.

i've got the same thing in my head, thinking about attempting to get the rest of the bearing off my steering knuckle when i finish work.

If I had experience of that job I may be able to offer advice ,I haven’t so won’t
Have u managed to get the knuckle off the car ok

If I had experience of that job I may be able to offer advice ,I haven’t so won’t
Have u managed to get the knuckle off the car ok

no i've watched youtube vids of getting it all off still attached, although they have a few tools i don't have access to.
Brute force and a bit of luck to separate.

no i've watched youtube vids of getting it all off still attached, although they have a few tools i don't have access to.
Brute force and a bit of luck to separate.

Good luck

Reactions: Fully
Finally got round to ordering the spring seats and they arrived today, makes me wonder if ill need to fit the rear lowering springs....

Finally got round to ordering the spring seats and they arrived today, makes me wonder if ill need to fit the rear lowering springs....

It’s a shame eibach won’t mix sportlines front pro’s rear
I ended up refitting my sline springs at the rear after a few months with sportlines on the back ,mainly due to my inability to stick with one set of 19s tho

Reactions: Charlie Farley and AvantAlexB7