One for the plumbers on here - boiler replacement

If part of your reason to change your boiler is your hot water supply i`d stay away from the greenstar 28i junior , hot water rate is shocking , and imo over priced , years ago they were a top boiler but all the other manufacturers have improved , go for a high KWatt boiler a you`ll get a better flow rate ,
If you go for a valiant or a cheaper glow worm ultracom 38 you`ll get around 15 -17 litres a min . depending on your mains inlet pressure . before anyone say`s glow are pap , both these are the same boiler , as are potterton/baxi (avoid plague peril ) .
I`ve been on my own for 6 years and have fiited many glow worm valiants , not been back to one , I have a glow worm ultracom 38 in my loft space supplying a cloak,utillity,kitchen,bathroom and a en-suite with a mira shower .

As for the hot water run off you will get a delay but you`ll cope .
do not take to much from reading some of these posts they are really misinformed

Tdi has given some good advice . 3 gasmen 3 quotes , recommendations , british gas only for the interest free deal at worst .
combi`s have come a long way snice ther horror days .
May help
chris

My mum lives in a semi with a 30,000 btu boiler heating her 8 rads and hot water cylinder (well enough to be fair). Why do most combi boilers seem to start at around 80,000 btu's? This sounds like it is going to be 2 and a 1/2 times more expensive to run in winter when your hot water is almost heated for free.

Neil, it does seem strange that Combi's have high KW inputs, but this is because the boiler covers everything in one unit. So the main demand is the hot water output, where the high KW input is transfered in fast hot water. The c/h demand will modulate to what the demand of the house is, so will not use anywhere near 80,000 / 24KW.

A 30,000 btu boiler would be around 8.8 KW, and would seem underpowered to cope with 8 rads and a cylinder, but i see this all the time, so don't worry. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

well Valliant did buy glowworm a few years back off the Wavin group ( prev Hepwoth building products) But as for glow worm being as good im not sure. My dads glow worm brokedown in just over a year, granted it was just the solonoid on the gas valve but you can`t get just the solonoid.

if i were going to buy a boiler and had free choice i owuld buy an Atag, they are fantastic units and ultra reliable, a friend of mine owns his own heating company and he told me about them.

Im having a Glow-worm Ultracom 30CXi fitted next month. Managed to strike a deal in the end with my fiancee's ex hubby who left the army a couple of years ago & trained as a Corgi registered gas fitter, he still owes her some money so made a deal that we wipe his debt in exchange for him supplying & fitting the boiler, and I chip in with the copper piping & a few other bits to do the job. He lives toot north so hadnt considered him 1st time round as a viable option, then the missus thought up this deal which he was happy enough with. Im left to brick up the outside wall around the flu & remove the old water tanks which is simple enough. So im pretty happy spending under £100 to get a nice shinny new boiler fitted!!!