One for the plumbers

alipaton

Reaction score
Bit of a long shot but does anyone know where a beta valve for a toilet cistern can be purchased .These valves are not very common now (the one being replaced is nearly 50 years old)they prob lasted to long and there wasn't enough money to be made, unlike the cheap plastic crap we have to replace on a regular basis these day's.Any help sourcing one of these would be much appreciated ,even an old one that could be scavanged for parts would be great .Found a place local to me but the only part he could get was the big doughnut washer at the bottom of the valve and this has been replaced already .Starting to get the feeling these things are like hens teeth .Thought i would try though . :Flush:

cheers Ali

Hi Ali,

is it possible you could take a pic of the valve as i'm not too sure i've seen one in my travels. I've covered central heating for 20 years but never heard anything called a beta valve...

Is it just a brass lever arm and fitting?

it's hard to explain what it looks like it does the same job as a modern syphon but is made of brass and has a big bung type washer at the base i'll try to get a pic tomorrow .Most of the plumbers merchants have never heard of it or give you a look of you must be joking mate . :shrug:

Cheers Ali

I think you'll need to get a photo up, or go to a salvage yard. If its as old as you say it is, then its likely to have a brand name on it.

Why can you not replace it with a modern syphon, if they do the same job then why do you want the old type in there, you never see it anyway.

wey hey managed to fix it today it was for an old family member in an old house didn't want to put a new cistern in it just wouldn't have looked right .
turns out the toilet is over 100 years old and to be honest with the new washers in it will prob last another 100 .thanks for the help anyway guys

Ali

Nice one, i think i'd have done the same. Too much stuff is disposable now.

Would still have liked to have seen a pic of it!