One month in...

Fred9193

Reaction score
  1. Audi Pre-Sense fault showing most of the time when first start driving the car. Sometimes goes off about 5-10mins into drive, other times remains until restart. Heard a lot about this issue on here.
  2. MMI keeps logging me out of "myAudi" account saying "It's been a while since this user has used the vehicle", even though it can be an hour after I last was in the car with it logged into my account. Frustrating!
  3. Audi Connect license didn't come with the car (should have been 36m subscription). Audi Digital Services have refused to look into my specific case because "they are having wider issues with the service" and have asked that I delay chasing the issue unless it persists for another month.
  4. Noticeable juddering when accelerating (not hard), a couple of times the judder has been concerningly bad. Happens a lot out of junctions, roundabouts etc. I have the 1.5 TFSI S-Tronic with the mild hybrid system. I had heard about the kangarooing affecting manual cars, unsure if this judder is related.
  5. Condensation on the inside is ridiculous! Aircon setting has been "On" since delivery with recirculation on "Auto". Nothing wet/damp in the car. Takes between 6-10mins to drive away as I'm waiting for the screen to clear.
  6. Passenger door and boot "bounce" back open when closing. Having to forcefully close and keep hand on door/boot until it closes properly, cannot give the door/boot a good shove and leave to close on their own. Drivers door and both rear doors have no issue whatsoever - completely confused.
If anyone has any advice on issues 4, 5 or 6 above, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Wow... that does not sound good. He these issues with with 8Y spec seems to be piling up.. it's really putting me off

Last edited:
regarding number 4 i think that is normal for dual clutch transmissions sometimes i feel it too, same spec

I also have the judder from the gearbox. I found out early on it was holding onto a high gear at roundabouts etc its set up for efficiency and it was juddering under acceleration. I now come to a complete stop and then drive on I only get slight judder the odd time now.

4. Is your ac actually functioning? Mine (A6) has randomly shut off a few times and it’s noticeable.

6. What do the shut lines look like? Could they be out of alignment and need the stops adjusting?

2. Think this could be a central server issue as mine has started to do this after 4 months of ownership.

Last edited:
Sorry @MF DOOMER, my post does come across negative and the issues are irritating. The car has many redeeming features and other than the juddering, it's a great drive.

@Fuelnut, I thought about holding high gears as a possible cause but hadn't checked it. I will do some semi-auto driving and see if I can stop it by using the paddles.

@abmat I think the AC is working because it does clear, albeit slowly. Not sure how to check to be sure AC is actually working. I haven't noticed the shut lines being out of alignment, I will double check in the morning. Thanks for confirming on the Audi server issues, I will keep nagging the digital services team until they have a fix.

None of the issues are enough for me to consider handing the car back but I have now reported them all to the local dealership to see what they have to say. The juddering, condensation and door/boot not shutting easily are all issues I will want sorted though. Concerned the juddering is a characteristic of the car.

no judder on the 30TFSI MHEV that i have.

Regarding condensation, when it happens, make sure you try and wipe it away with some sprayed on window cleaning spray with microfibre. The condensation thereafter was greatly reduced.

I had the MMI log out issue over the weekend with the same messages. It refused to log me in and kept failing. Sorted itself out yesterday. Probably a server issue…as usual.

Regarding (1), do you park close to a wall? On my A3, I have found that the pre-sense fault warning will show if I am parked close to something. It then clears soon after driving off. I just ignore it, assuming that it is a design quirk.

4. Occasionally I have noticed that acceleration is not completely smooth: it could be my imagination, but this seems to be a problem that happens a little more often now that the weather is turning colder.

5. I keep a microfibre cloth in the car to speed this up.

6. This seems to be another quirk. And unusual in a German car? After a while I got used to it: the doors and boot just need to be shut with a bit more force than my last car to ensure that they always latch. If I have a passengers who don't routinely ride in my car, I shut the door for them as they are getting in, to make sure that it latches first time.

The thing that is annoying me at the moment are the window seals on the doors which do not scrape off all of the water droplets when the window is opened (meaning that I have to clear the water manually from the outside).

MMI logout issue is very likely a server issue. I couldn't log in for days which happened to me a few times in last 10 months.

OTOH, mine (35 tfsi with DSG) doesn't judder at all, in fact it's one of the smoothest dual clutch box.

For first few months, 7/8 out of 10 times the tailgate didn't close in first attempt and used to bounce back. Now it closes first time 9 out of 10 times without any issue. My conclusion was the rubber sealing around it was too stiff when new and needed some use to 'bed in'.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Thanks all for the advice on some of the issues.

@AdamInKent, I do park close to a wall actually, I'll park the other way round and see if that changes things. Most are irritating quirks but the fact @KXL and @Sal Jam you both have said you don't get any judder under acceleration does concern me more about mine. It's the one issue which I'll push on with Audi to look into.

Had a 45min drive today, although it's cold, the juddering occurred every time I pulled away from lights, moved up in traffic etc, even after the engine was fully up to temp.

Your judder seems worse than mine I brought it back to be checked but as usual no issues found they asked me if I wanted to be shown how to use a dsg gearbox.

Thanks all for the advice on some of the issues.

@AdamInKent, I do park close to a wall actually, I'll park the other way round and see if that changes things. Most are irritating quirks but the fact @KXL and @Sal Jam you both have said you don't get any judder under acceleration does concern me more about mine. It's the one issue which I'll push on with Audi to look into.

Had a 45min drive today, although it's cold, the juddering occurred every time I pulled away from lights, moved up in traffic etc, even after the engine was fully up to temp.
I'd be interested to hear if parking the other way around makes any difference.

Your judder problem seems much worse than anything I have ever experienced; it sounds like it's something that would be worth getting checked out - especially if it is happening consistently enough to demo to an Audi tech.

@AdamInKent, tried it yesterday evening, maybe it was coincidence but after keeping the front of the car away from the wall, I didn't get any pre-sense warning... will have to keep parking that way and see if it continues.

The judder continues though. It will be going to Audi early in the new year and I'll update.

I also wiped all the condensation away with a microfibre cloth, hoping that gets rid of some moisture in the car!

5. Condensation on the inside is ridiculous! Aircon setting has been "On" since delivery with recirculation on "Auto". Nothing wet/damp in the car. Takes between 6-10mins to drive away as I'm waiting for the screen to clear.
I've not had mine yet (probably not until May+ 2022), but this is something i've noticed in my Wifes 21 A3, the past few mornings have been very cold and icy. Like you we are sat there with engine running for a good 10 mins before we can you know, see out the windscreen!

All my previous cars over the last 20 years + have all had a Quick Clear Heated Windscreen (granted, none of them were Audi), press a button and in a minute or two can drive off in my Volvo .. so never quite understand why Audi don't have this option, in the same pack as Heated Seats!

@AdamInKent, tried it yesterday evening, maybe it was coincidence but after keeping the front of the car away from the wall, I didn't get any pre-sense warning... will have to keep parking that way and see if it continues.

The judder continues though. It will be going to Audi early in the new year and I'll update.

I also wiped all the condensation away with a microfibre cloth, hoping that gets rid of some moisture in the car!
Get some silica bags from Halford or Tesco. Really good at keeping moisture at bay.

Reactions: pafcpilgrim and AdamInKent
Most are irritating quirks but the fact @KXL and @Sal Jam you both have said you don't get any judder under acceleration does concern me more about mine. It's the one issue which I'll push on with Audi to look into.
THe 30TFSI is a 1.0 3 cyl though, so it should be judder central (had the same engine previously in an Ibiza, and it judders in 1st from base revs to about 1.7k. The current gen cars including the A3 reduced the judder significantly. I haven't heard of the 1.5 Evo judderring in DSG guise. I do wonder if it's the (assuming ur in UK) wonderful fuel called E10. The only 'quirk' I've noticed since E10 was that when putting my foot flat from the lights, when in changes from 1st to 2nd near the readline, there seems to be a momentary gap, where the car doesn't feel liks it's accelerating, that it doesn't have any 'drive' in that half sec or so. Never had that with E5. Car now is 5 months and 3k miles.

All my previous cars over the last 20 years + have all had a Quick Clear Heated Windscreen (granted, none of them were Audi), press a button and in a minute or two can drive off in my Volvo .. so never quite understand why Audi don't have this option, in the same pack as Heated Seats!
IIRC, the Ford group (which includes Volvo) owns the patent for quick clear front windscreens.

Reactions: pafcpilgrim
New fault for me this evening.

Adaptive light fault, exterior light fault.

Hasn’t gone away after restarting either.

IIRC, the Ford group (which includes Volvo) owns the patent for quick clear front windscreens.
FYI: You can get heated windscreens for Skoda's and VW, it's only the technology that Ford have patented, which is the wires in the screen. The VGA group cars use a membrane..

Reactions: Jcbmally and AdamInKent
Interesting points Noted. On the condensation this shocked me when initially experiencing it on a cold day. Recently put a silica bag on the dash and not been bad at all. But also not having very cold days in the SouthWest recently.

I only have judder when pulling away hard, but put that down to the suspension, maybe it is the gearbox. But it’s not all the time.

A3 TFSi 35 71 plate Edition 1.

Updates on the issues from my original post
  1. Audi Pre-Sense fault no longer showing when I first start driving. Thanks to @AdamInKent for the tip to park away from a wall (front of car).
  2. MMI logging out was definitely a server issue. Audi Digital Services confirmed the times of server downtime and it matched the times I had the issue.
  3. Audi Connect license was sorted within 48hrs of the information getting to the "right team" at Audi Digital Services - not bad.
  4. Update on the serious juddering issue. A neighbour of mine has the same 35TFSI and has a plug & play remap chip. We just thought we'd give it a quick go to see. Well, 3 days with the chip in and no juddering what so ever!! I'm no expert but does this mean it has to do with the engine management? I have booked the car in with Audi in the new year. I'll obviously remove the remap chip and I'm assuming I'll have to be careful with what I say. I'll be interested in their solution - if they have one!
  5. Condensation is still a problem. Got one of the dehumidifier bags on order - thanks for all the tips on this.
  6. Still a few issues with the doors not shutting, needing a proper shove. On the list for Audi to look at when it's in the garage but I'm expecting them to say "it's how it is" as they will shut...

A premium brand issuing a car with doors that don't shut easily...... unbelievable

1. Audi Pre-Sense fault no longer showing when I first start driving. Thanks to @AdamInKent for the tip to park away from a wall (front of car).
  2. MMI logging out was definitely a server issue. Audi Digital Services confirmed the times of server downtime and it matched the times I had the issue.
  3. Audi Connect license was sorted within 48hrs of the information getting to the "right team" at Audi Digital Services - not bad.
  4. Update on the serious juddering issue. A neighbour of mine has the same 35TFSI and has a plug & play remap chip. We just thought we'd give it a quick go to see. Well, 3 days with the chip in and no juddering what so ever!! I'm no expert but does this mean it has to do with the engine management? I have booked the car in with Audi in the new year. I'll obviously remove the remap chip and I'm assuming I'll have to be careful with what I say. I'll be interested in their solution - if they have one!
  5. Condensation is still a problem. Got one of the dehumidifier bags on order - thanks for all the tips on this.
  6. Still a few issues with the doors not shutting, needing a proper shove. On the list for Audi to look at when it's in the garage but I'm expecting them to say "it's how it is" as they will shut...
At least your working your way through the issues at least. The revamp device is interesting. Which one is it as would like to look into that. This engine though does rev it’s nuts off. So loud too.

Thinking about the door closing issues. I do get that if i don’t shove it hard enough. Could also be greasing issue too and will improve as the doors break in?

At least your working your way through the issues at least. The revamp device is interesting. Which one is it as would like to look into that. This engine though does rev it’s nuts off. So loud too.

Thinking about the door closing issues. I do get that if i don’t shove it hard enough. Could also be greasing issue too and will improve as the doors break in?
I believe it's from Superchips. I am in no way recommending it because I don't know enough about remaps and know there are divided opinions on them. It has made a noticeable difference to the way the car drives though.

I'm thinking the doors will "bed in" too. At least I hope so!

Reactions: pafcpilgrim
Hi. New to this forum. I also have juddering with my 71 plate 35tfsi s-line s-tronic at low revs when pulling away from junctions etc. Feels like it loses drive - as if the car can't quite decide whether to move from first to second. After that it's fine. Took the car into my local Audi dealer who said they couldn't replicate the judder but did a factory reset (whatever that means). Was ok for a while in 'comfort' setting but juddering back in different setting. Might launch it a few times to see if that helps .... it not!

Hi. New to this forum. I also have juddering with my 71 plate 35tfsi s-line s-tronic at low revs when pulling away from junctions etc. Feels like it loses drive - as if the car can't quite decide whether to move from first to second. After that it's fine. Took the car into my local Audi dealer who said they couldn't replicate the judder but did a factory reset (whatever that means). Was ok for a while in 'comfort' setting but juddering back in different setting. Might launch it a few times to see if that helps .... it not!
Hi @Bunks21, your issue sounds very similar to my own. One "solution" you may get from Audi is to switch to E5 fuel, I got this response on the phone but told them abruptly that they advise E10 has no adverse effect to their vehicles. I'll see what comes from the garage visit in Jan. It's something I would be happy to reject the car over.

Hi @Bunks21, your issue sounds very similar to my own. One "solution" you may get from Audi is to switch to E5 fuel, I got this response on the phone but told them abruptly that they advise E10 has no adverse effect to their vehicles. I'll see what comes from the garage visit in Jan. It's something I would be happy to reject the car over.
Hi Fred9193. I've considered rejecting the car too. Hopefully, it won't come to that. Keep me posted.

These DSGs (this is my 3rd, 2 Seats prior 2.0TDI and 1.0TSI) tend to want to start in D2 even if the car is almost down to a standstill, which might contribute to the judder. This 'quirk' is especially annoying when you come up to a roundabout, do not come to a complete stop, accelerate into a gap, and the car gives you 2nd gear. This was noticeable on my 2 Seats, as it clearly shows I'm in D2, however the latest A3s don't show which gear you are in. Strangely enough on a 2.0TDI previously, pulling away in D2, has more oomph (and smoothness) than pulling away in D1 on the 1.0TSIs. Guess that is what 320+nm of torque gives you.

To be honest and the dealers never tell you this, but the TFSI engine is designed to work more efficiently with High Octane fuel - I have an S3 so use Shell Vpower anyway, but my friend who is a Mastertech has always said even on the 8V model High Octane fuel is better

To be honest and the dealers never tell you this, but the TFSI engine is designed to work more efficiently with High Octane fuel - I have an S3 so use Shell Vpower anyway, but my friend who is a Mastertech has always said even on the 8V model High Octane fuel is better
Is your Mastertech friend able to shed any light on the possible cause of the juddering and a solution to that which some of us are experiencing with our cars ? I've read in other places that the 7 speed dry clutch s-tronic (mated to the 35tfsi) is only good for cars that produce under 250nm of torque. Audi's literature states 35's provide 250nm to start with. I think I've also read the MHEV can provide an extra 50nm's.

As far as I’m aware MHEV has no motor. Therefore it can’t create any torque. It only powers systems when engine is off an power for restart.

As far as I’m aware MHEV has no motor. Therefore it can’t create any torque. It only powers systems when engine is off an power for restart.
The MHEV includes a motor / generator which it can use to boost the output of the engine. If you accelerate hard, you can sometimes hear the electric whine of the motor assisting the engine.

(However, unlike a full hybrid, the MHEV is not able to power the wheels from the motor alone.)

. The motor/generator (Belt alternator starter) is to allow seamless restarts, electric running(systems powered not drive) and power generation (combined alternator and starter). There is no electric motor that boosts power or drives wheels.

peak torque is still 250nm @1500-3500rpm. No mention of electric boost.

Last edited:
I think you're both right in a way from watching Audi's official video, here

It is only a belt alternator starter (no motor) but does have the ability to assist with 9kW of power (50Nm torque). I'm not sure if these numbers are already baked into the official stats.

Reactions: abmat
I’d imagine they are as the assistance is from low speed so peak still remains the same @250.

Quite how the BAS assists is a mystery as it can’t drive the wheels. Unless it spins the crank to get the engine going before combustion kicks in.