One year on

dadracer55

Reaction score
Well a bit more since I took delivery of my S3 saloon. I have had several Audis in the past from A4 company diesels through an S3 Sportback (8P) and an RS4 saloon (B7). Each of them were good in their own way the A4s were great on a motorway cruise. The S3 sportback was good for family motoring (it replaced a Subaru Forester Turbo!) it was quick and with decent mpg. The RS4 was too fast and capable (in reality!) and I found myself driving faster than I meant to......too often.

I spent a lot of internet time deciding on my choice of car and as I wanted something to keep for the longer term. My short list came down to 2 cars. The VW Golf R which is so highly praised in the motoring press and the S3 Sportback which I had enjoyed so much before and stupidly changed for the RS4.

I test drove both and felt the Golf R was great but wasn't significantly better as a drivers car than the S3 although I think that the seats which are more grippy and the manual gear box make it feel a bit more driver orientated. I also felt the Golf GTi is a better looking car than the Golf R which looks quite anonymous. Indeed we have a mk5 GTi as our other car and that feels like a better drivers car although being down on power than the Golf R or S3.

In every other respect, looks, comfort, kit (it must have leather and a high quality stereo) the S3 was a winner over the Golf R and when I compared prices there was no difference once each was specced to what I wanted.

The final factor was in choosing the saloon, which initially I had not considered as I wanted practicality and the ability to transport 20 water polo balls, 2 sets of caps, 12 water bottles, first aid kit, snacks, backpack and stuff for passengers. It turned out the saloon was better than the sportback! Also I think the saloon looks
nicer and especially with the black edition pack and in black.

Life with my car has been trouble free unless you count a squeak from the driver seat belt post. It also has a squeak from the dash in cold weather until I've driven a mile or so. Otherwise it is nearly as quick as my RS4 was across a windy Scottish back road in any weather. It is as spacious as a B7 A4 so will carry 4 adults in comfort. It is very easy to drive quickly and smoothly thanks to the 7 speed DSG and the drive control settings. The B&O stereo is excellent (for a car). The fuel consumption is surprisingly good and roughly the same as our GTi on most days and even better on along motorway trip.

I have not modified it in any way unless you count a metal driver foot rest pedal. I considered removing the S3 badges and getting black Audi rings but both my sons told me not to be so stupid! I have also considered a wee stage 1 boost but I will leave it for a while and see if it is needed as it feels like I have enough bhp at present. I did look at an RS3 saloon while at the dealer but I didn't like the look as much as the S3 black edition. It also sounded a bit shouty for me although it was properly fast.

So was it all bliss and delight? Pretty much although another 20 litres of boot space would make it perfect and a heated windscreen for the many many months of winter would be genuinely useful. I think you can get one on the Golf?

Anyhow I am very happy with my S3 saloon thank you!

Reactions: TYb, TonkS3, Jcbmally and 9 others
A good write up and mirrors my thoughts on my S3 saloon also. I also looked at the Golf R and I thought it was the better handling car, but not the quality/looks for the interior that the S3 has. One big difference is the price though the Canadian Golf R is about 3,500 quid cheaper on a similar spec to an S3. I also agree on the R looks, it does not stand out in a sea of standard Golf hatchbacks.

Well a bit more since I took delivery of my S3 saloon. I have had several Audis in the past from A4 company diesels through an S3 Sportback (8P) and an RS4 saloon (B7). Each of them were good in their own way the A4s were great on a motorway cruise. The S3 sportback was good for family motoring (it replaced a Subaru Forester Turbo!) it was quick and with decent mpg. The RS4 was too fast and capable (in reality!) and I found myself driving faster than I meant to......too often.

I spent a lot of internet time deciding on my choice of car and as I wanted something to keep for the longer term. My short list came down to 2 cars. The VW Golf R which is so highly praised in the motoring press and the S3 Sportback which I had enjoyed so much before and stupidly changed for the RS4.

I test drove both and felt the Golf R was great but wasn't significantly better as a drivers car than the S3 although I think that the seats which are more grippy and the manual gear box make it feel a bit more driver orientated. I also felt the Golf GTi is a better looking car than the Golf R which looks quite anonymous. Indeed we have a mk5 GTi as our other car and that feels like a better drivers car although being down on power than the Golf R or S3.

In every other respect, looks, comfort, kit (it must have leather and a high quality stereo) the S3 was a winner over the Golf R and when I compared prices there was no difference once each was specced to what I wanted.

The final factor was in choosing the saloon, which initially I had not considered as I wanted practicality and the ability to transport 20 water polo balls, 2 sets of caps, 12 water bottles, first aid kit, snacks, backpack and stuff for passengers. It turned out the saloon was better than the sportback! Also I think the saloon looks
nicer and especially with the black edition pack and in black.

Life with my car has been trouble free unless you count a squeak from the driver seat belt post. It also has a squeak from the dash in cold weather until I've driven a mile or so. Otherwise it is nearly as quick as my RS4 was across a windy Scottish back road in any weather. It is as spacious as a B7 A4 so will carry 4 adults in comfort. It is very easy to drive quickly and smoothly thanks to the 7 speed DSG and the drive control settings. The B&O stereo is excellent (for a car). The fuel consumption is surprisingly good and roughly the same as our GTi on most days and even better on along motorway trip.

I have not modified it in any way unless you count a metal driver foot rest pedal. I considered removing the S3 badges and getting black Audi rings but both my sons told me not to be so stupid! I have also considered a wee stage 1 boost but I will leave it for a while and see if it is needed as it feels like I have enough bhp at present. I did look at an RS3 saloon while at the dealer but I didn't like the look as much as the S3 black edition. It also sounded a bit shouty for me although it was properly fast.

So was it all bliss and delight? Pretty much although another 20 litres of boot space would make it perfect and a heated windscreen for the many many months of winter would be genuinely useful. I think you can get one on the Golf?

Anyhow I am very happy with my S3 saloon thank you!

Wow, you went from an RS4 to a S3, that is a 1st S3 is certainly very capable, but an RS!

There really isn't much in terms of performance with the S3 8V FL and RS4 B7 until you are really shifting and then the S3 runs out of steam a bit in comparison. I think though if you got a stage 1 for the S3 and had an extra 60 or so bhp it would be slightly quicker than the RS across the board. The new B9 RS4 would be a different matter of course!
Size wise inside the RS4 wasn't any bigger than the S3 saloon although the boot is bigger for sure. The fuel consumption of the RS4 was low 20s at best and the S3 can be coaxed to give nearly twice that so its big win at the pumps!

Your buying into the hyped up RS image remember especially in the new ones
Mate, always loved them, back to the original RS2. A mate has a 15 plate 4.2 V8 RS4, absolutely LOVE it! Was in it on Saturday, f'kin hell, the sound, drive, whole experience

Mate, always loved them, back to the original RS2. A mate has a 15 plate 4.2 V8 RS4, absolutely LOVE it! Was in it on Saturday, f'kin hell, the sound, drive, whole experience
Placebo effect lol not a very viable proposition for myself l am ruining a good car just now going to work and the prevous S3 so not doing it the 3rd time around ... RS Cars are weekend toys

Reactions: NevMan
Placebo effect lol not a very viable proposition for myself l am ruining a good car just now going to work and the prevous S3 so not doing it the 3rd time around ... RS Cars are weekend toys
Yep 10k miles in 8 months here ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Yep 10k miles in 8 months here ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't spend all that money on a car to to do that sort of mileage plus drive it through the winter months they're gritting roads already up here in Scotland

I wouldn't spend all that money on a car to to do that sort of mileage plus drive it through the winter months they're gritting roads already up here in Scotland

Lol, you will be getting a defender next, like young @MattSedg. You see, these youngsters always know best

Reactions: Jassyo06 and MattSedg

No way, got a nice car, drive the ****** thing. Porsche etc is a weekend car, RS daily, as quite happy cruising along, and then switch from comfort to dynamic, **** me!

No way, got a nice car, drive the ****** thing. Porsche etc is a weekend car, RS daily, as quite happy cruising along, and then switch from comfort to dynamic, **** me!
Nope lol

Lol, you will be getting a defender next, like young @MattSedg. You see, these youngsters always know best
im loving the feeling of little to no depreciation, however i am throwing some money at it in upgrades and tweaks :icon thumright:

im loving the feeling of little to no depreciation, however i am throwing some money at it in upgrades and tweaks :icon thumright:
Not worried about depreciation it's my paint work l worry about

Reactions: NevMan and MattSedg
Not worried about depreciation it's my paint work l worry about
oh i fully expect that from you, and i also understand why you feel that way